Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Campfire Stories and Other Traditions

Although my parents were not Rvers nor did they camp out they did like to take my brother and me to the occasional campfire event. You know, family reunions and the like. I noticed there were certain stories which were told and retold at these gatherings. Also, there were traditions which were upheld and maintained.

One of the stories which was around forever was how the horse became known to our family as the harky-larky. No biggy - I had an uncle who simply chose to call horses harky-larkies when he was learning to talk. But, oh the fun we had when the story was rolled out each time and the laughter we all participated in is still sticky in my mind. Occasionally I have to remind myself to NOT call a horse a harky-larky when speaking to those who are not “in the know.”

As far as traditions -- there was a certain iron skillet and a particularly ugly coffee pot which always surfaced at the campfire and both were only used at the campfire times.

Do you have campfire stories or other traditions which you rely upon for part of your RV experience? Tell us about it, please.
Attached Images

BacktoRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Yvonne (BacktoRoots):

Oh for those good ol days. Your post, and that wonderful pic of the campfire, sure brought back memories of those wonderful campfire experiences some of us recall, and which, unfortunately, fewer and fewer of us RV'rs are able to enjoy. The thought, and lifestyle police have all but eliminated the joy, warmth and peace generated by the crackling, snapping, aroma and the hypnotizing facination, and.....those memorable stories, fostered by a real, old time campfire. Can't hardly find a campground that permits this activity any longer. So VERY, VERY sad.. :(

Steve & Lynette
Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry to hear campgrounds don't allow camp fires. One of our favorite traditions for the camp fire is cooking with the dutch oven. Biscuits in the morning and peach cobbler at night. The whole family takes part int and looks forward to it at every outing.
paulrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love a campfire. Rolling and Popping and roasting one side while the other side freezes. I truly believe the reason most campground do not allow campfires is not the smoke but its the ''sparks'' ..... Those floaters that seem to attract to your rubber room and light to homestead and burn a thin spot in your rubber roof. another part of the problem is that people love to build a campfire that roars about 8 feet tall and you must put wood on it with a pitch fork. My cousin is one of those guys. If you can get close enough to put wood on the fire the fire is toooooooo samlllllllll. (he is an idiot) One nite I suggested that he just burn his trailer, wheels and all and make a ''really big campfire''. We use one of the portable gas fired campfires which is not as much fun but you can use it almost anywhere because it is self contained.....
that is my two cents worth .....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Being a Cubmaster for 9 years and now a Scoutmaster for 7 years, I still get to enjoy a great campfire often. One of our traditions is a yearly Friendship Fire where all the families gather round the campfire and tell stories, lead sing-a-longs, make s'mores, and play charades. See the story below on the meaning of a Friendship Fire:

Pack 119 Friendship Fire Ceremony

Cut two 10” diameter logs about 36” long
Cut smaller and smaller diameter logs at shorter lengths (always two the same size).
Stack these logs in a criss-cross pattern in a pyramid shape.
Only go about 4 levels high because you don’t want the burning pile on logs falling on someone.
Put tinder and small branches in the voids between the logs with some newspaper in the bottom.
With the ‘chimney-effect’ of the pyramid, it usually lights pretty fast.
Have the area clear of all burnable debris and have a 5-gallon bucket of water handy. Also have a small shovel to help arrange the logs after it is lit.

The Meaning of the Friendship Fire

Many moons ago, when different tribes of our Native American ancestors would get together, they built a Friendship Fire. This fire was adopted by American Trappers and Mountain Men when they would hold their annual rendezvous in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

There is a lot of meaning in the Friendship Fire. First see that the logs point in different directions but work together to create the fire. There are also different types of trees burning together – oak, ash, poplar, birch and even pine. That is just how people should come together from different backgrounds and cultures and work together on accomplish a common goal.

You also see how the older, larger logs on the bottom are supporting the smaller logs above. Many times in your life, you will be asked to use your Scouting skills to help support those who are weaker or have less abilities.

Notice how the smaller logs at the top flame so bright while the bottom ones wait their turn to burn. The bottom logs will eventually burn – burn long into the night keeping us warm and may burn into tomorrow. Many times in life you will see those who shine very bright but they are gone in an instant. Be patient and wait your chance. You will shine long and gloriously and be appreciated when those before you are forgotten.

Finally the logs you see before you are dead. They have lived their life well; been through storm, drought and wind. The still serve a purpose today giving us warmth and light. Tomorrow they will be ashes that will help give life to the next generation of trees. They live on – even after death. So too we will live on. It is important to consider how you live your life because your legacy will live on. People will remember you by the deeds you did while you were alive. As you go to the happy hunting grounds, may your deeds help a new generation grow strong and proud.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tom & Katherine (RVThere):

Thanks. Very nice.

Steve & Lynette

Tags
camp, campfire, rvers