Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
Okay,
I get the 10 year rule but, don't really like it. Refuse to support those campgrounds. However, what I feel is worse is when the rules state no electic heaters allowed. Excuse me!!! What am I paying for? Waiting for them to say no AC allowed in Summer. I own a motel with RV hookups and have never ever thought of making those rules. Have to take a business trip to Tucson AZ in a couple of weeks and after looking at several campgrounds on the internet noticed that these were the rules. Now I remember why I like dry camping.
MartinP
If the rules state "No Electic Heaters Allowed" you are paying for a campsite where electric heaters are NOT allowed.
Some people simply ignore that rule and use electric heaters if/when they want to.
Because you "own a motel with RV hookups" me thinks you already know that some people have a hard time following rules.
However IMO the honorable thing to do is follow the rules...or stay somewhere else.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I used to see "no a/c" and "no electric heater" fairly often, or an extra charge if you intended to use those. Simply a way to keep rates down by limiting electric power usage somewhat. It's easy to add an extra $2-$3 per day in electricity costs even with just 30A power. Back in the day, many Rvs didn't have either a/c or electric heat, so basing the site fee on non-a/c was a reasonable thing. Nowadays, it is fairly rare, I think, but campgrounds that cater to budget conscious campers or have limited power available no doubt still exist.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #17

While rate individual unit useage may certainly be related to the consideration for electric heater usage, that can easily be accounted for by moderate rate adjustments. However, I think it is actually more related to actual capacity for the systems. They most often build the infrastcutre based on average draw, but if you get everyone at max site electrical capacity, you are going to overload the system and get a "brown out" and or power loss situation which is going to create a problem for everyone.

We were at a Tiffin rally in Sept. with over 200 Tiffins, which was probably took up 2/3rds of the sites at a very nice campground, with "modern" facilities. Of those 200+ those Tiffins, my guess is that 2/3rds of those were 40'+ Phaetons and Busses. Guess what happens when it gets very hot mid afternoon and you have row after row of higher end RVs concentrated together....... Our row lost power once, and I know at least one other did too........

The cost to upgrade the entire infrastructure to handle occasional max. draws is just not practical for many campgrounds..........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I moved to upper Michigan in late March and lived in my coach. The campground that I made reservations at said "No Electric Heaters" as I was checking in, I gave them an extra $100 per month so I could run the electric. Temperatures were down in the teen's most of the month and I would have had to get propane every week if I tried to use the furnace. They accepted the money & I ran 2 heaters to try and maintain above freezing temps in the coach and basement.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #19

Campgounds.....No electiric heaters allowed

Never under stood that rule with heaters in the summer my ac cracking the hole time even if the doors open getting my money's worth I would think they both use around same power. I always use my electic heater and set propane at 68 if it needs it I always always have my hot water on electric to.. They say that so the good hearted listen they know the rebels with do as they please lol
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #20

Campgounds.....No electiric heaters allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I moved to upper Michigan in late March and lived in my coach. The campground that I made reservations at said "No Electric Heaters" as I was checking in, I gave them an extra $100 per month so I could run the electric. Temperatures were down in the teen's most of the month and I would have had to get propane every week if I tried to use the furnace. They accepted the money & I ran 2 heaters to try and maintain above freezing temps in the coach and basement.

Good thinking on the two heaters my TT is only 30 amp so to run two if its that cold I'd plug one into a wall outlet and the other on counter off the microwave plug but no electric hot water or anything else with a big draw
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe if I was in a park where the electric service is questionable I wouldn't run my heat pump. Otherwise how do they know I have an electric space heater?
Old 12-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #22

There are many parks that have a site charge and then a "plus electric". Your site is on a meter and you pay for whatever you use. That's the fair way. Otherwise, they have a reason to raise the basic cost - to cover your electric usage

If your home electric costs are getting too high I would think many would lower their thermostat to conserve your cost. If you're in a RV park you think nothing of keeping it toasty.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 11:36 AM   #23

I stayed at a older campground back in the first part of November. It was very nice and right on a beautiful river. I had a sight right on the river, it was I think $45 a night. This was in the Mountains of Tennessee. I think about 35 sites, which some were permanent RV set-ups. It was nice weather and no need for A/C , though a bit cool in the late evenings and mornings we used a small heater to keep it bearable in the mornings,(no rule against that I saw ) it warmed up quickly by late morning. Campground was pretty much full. We were camping with family members which totaled 3 RV,s. My Sister asked me one morning if I noticed the power fluctuating the night before, and my wife said to come to think of it the microwave was not working properly while she was heating some coffee up. Low power voltage, my sister had one of those voltage meters you can plug in to a socket and read the power and noticed it had dropped big time that night.
Don't now exactly how often this happened during our weeks stay, but
I have since hardwired a surge protector. Hope I haven't halfway fried some of our appliances, they still worked after that trip. I do know for a fact, some of the older campgrounds DO NOT have enough power to go around at certain times. But as someone mentioned, it would cost a fortune to have all the power grid replaced and updated. I think maybe they might have warned us about this issue they had, but it would not make for great advertisement, for sure. I know everyone at one time or the other have run into this situation before with the older campgrounds. I have learned one thing for sure, use a EMS at all times. The End....
Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #24

I asked that question to the owners of the local campgrounds that we frequently visit. They responded that they post it for safety and liability issues. Most people are conscientious but lets be honest some folks do not always think with their heads. They post the rule to try and lesson the risk.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:29 PM   #25

I suppose it's barely possible that aside from just being greedy money-grubbing Scrooges, these park owners are concerned about fires from unattended space heaters.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #26

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Martin, if they are older campgrounds, their electrical system may not handle the load. My rule concerning this is "Catching comes before hanging"

Fred
Fred I do understand that the older campgrounds may not be able to carry the electrical loads but, perhaps they should look at upgrading if they can budget for it. If it is just cost cutting well that is not fair. 1500 watt heater at .084 cents per Kilowatt cost 12.6 cents per hour to run. When I pay anywhere from $30 and up per night it should cover the costs of the utilities. I use hookups because I don't want to use my propane or generator.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #27

I was once asked if 30 or 50 amp? It was winter. I said I was 50 but 30 would be ok. She said, "well 50 amp is $5 more." I told her "30 amp is fine." Didn't need a/c anyway in 40 temps. I guess washer dryers may need it.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
MartinP
If the rules state "No Electic Heaters Allowed" you are paying for a campsite where electric heaters are NOT allowed.
Some people simply ignore that rule and use electric heaters if/when they want to.
Because you "own a motel with RV hookups" me thinks you already know that some people have a hard time following rules.
However IMO the honorable thing to do is follow the rules...or stay somewhere else.
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel you are correct. It is a case of live and learn. I will not go to those campgrounds if I want those utilities, I will stay elsewhere.

Tags
heat, heater