Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #29

Nope, you can run the washer and dryer on 30 amp. Have to watch what else you run though. We have done it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 06:17 PM   #30

Rexhall Owners Group
I am an avid RVer, and one thing that I have learned is that a happy guest will always come back. I do think that price should reflect available services which, is not always the case. Don't see people as a $ sign.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too have considered the No Electric Heater rule to be just the campground denying you what you pay for... 50 amp service in my case.

however there is another consideration.. I do not think the campgrounds are thinking like this but I have found enough cases of wiring failures due to overload caused by those heaters to concern me. It happened to me (Two failures) and to several others. MY solution was to install special heavy duty outlets (15/20 amp) fed with 12ga wire and one to a breaker... But that is not always parctical

The solution might well be the "Cheap Heat" system.. this is an electric heat system that involves the furnace and it's blower.. The park will hear the blower run from time to time and assume you are on propane. NO electric heaters visible. And you put in wiring proper for the job.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbuskirk View Post
I asked that question to the owners of the local campgrounds that we frequently visit. They responded that they post it for safety and liability issues. Most people are conscientious but lets be honest some folks do not always think with their heads. They post the rule to try and lesson the risk.

I think there is another thread on this.. Personally I think it is a money thing but you are correct that there is a safety issue with electric heaters.

O have had two electrical failures in this RV due to space heaters.. The result was that I installed special outlets (15/20 amp 12ga wire one to a breaker) which can handle the load nicely. but many of the outlets in RV's are really not into double digit loads and can easily set your house on fire if you run a space heater on 'em on HIGH. So those safety concerns are legit.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #33

I have camped enouh times to know that campground owners can make and enforce any rule for any reason.
They don't have to explain why any more than you have to stay there when you see a rule you don't like or can't follow.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Nope, you can run the washer and dryer on 30 amp. Have to watch what else you run though. We have done it.
Depends on which washer/dryer you have in your unit. Our dryer only works on 240V.
Old 12-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #35
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The topic of this thread is"Campgounds.....No electric heaters allowed". Several posts discussing firearms have been deleted. Let's stay on topic please.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
just last month we stayed at a CG in Hot Springs, AR. The 5th wheel next to us had their furnace on all the time even when she took off for the day. What sense is there to heating your camper when you are gone?? Where's the smarts or penalty for doing that??? We turn our HW electric on before we want to take a shower. We never leave it on all day or night. We are conserving electricity but there's no reward. We could just as easily have left it on 24/7 but for what purpose.

We always run a small heater during the cold months and the furnace will cycle some to augment the electric heater.

What about using the electric blanket??? Will there be a fee for that???? Lets just us common sense and maybe the CG's we use won't experience a large increase in their yearly camping electric bills and won't feel a need to raise rates.

TeJay
Old 12-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #37

Maybe I can add some perspective to this discussion. I own a New England campground. We pay some of the highest electric rates in the country. We are currently adding 10 new 50 AMP sites. The cost to bury the line and pay the extra fees charged by the electric company exceeds $20,000 and this is before we have brought the lines to the sites. The requirements and subsequent costs are mind boggling. Many years ago, we charged an extra fee for air conditioning and electric heaters. It was on the honor system and many people paid their share but just as many didn't. At that time, it was common for campgrounds to charge these fees. We decided that it wasn't fair to the honest people to pay when others didn't so we raised our rates for all sites ($1.00 per night) and got rid of all the extra charges. It was fair to us because it helped us pay some of the expenses and it was fair to our campers. Now when you make a reservation at our park, you know the nightly charge and can decide upfront if the rate is OK. There are no additional fees to surprise you. I've never had a complaint about this policy. I hope this helps a little by giving you another side to the issue.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
Maybe I can add some perspective to this discussion. I own a New England campground. We pay some of the highest electric rates in the country. We are currently adding 10 new 50 AMP sites. The cost to bury the line and pay the extra fees charged by the electric company exceeds $20,000 and this is before we have brought the lines to the sites. The requirements and subsequent costs are mind boggling. Many years ago, we charged an extra fee for air conditioning and electric heaters. It was on the honor system and many people paid their share but just as many didn't. At that time, it was common for campgrounds to charge these fees. We decided that it wasn't fair to the honest people to pay when others didn't so we raised our rates for all sites ($1.00 per night) and got rid of all the extra charges. It was fair to us because it helped us pay some of the expenses and it was fair to our campers. Now when you make a reservation at our park, you know the nightly charge and can decide upfront if the rate is OK. There are no additional fees to surprise you. I've never had a complaint about this policy. I hope this helps a little by giving you another side to the issue.
Sure sounds like a great campground. I am sure most would not even notice the $1.00 dollar increase. Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #39

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrebele View Post
Thanks so much for the post, I would stay at your campground. The motel spent $17000 to run a 30/50 amp service to 5 sites, the cost is high. One thing I did not think about was the fire risk and associated liability. I too have notice that the recepticle in the MH heats up when running the heater (1500 watt) on high so very rarely run it over meduim setting (1000 watts). After reading these post I will also install a dedecated circuit for the heater using 12 gauge wire with its own breaker. I want thank all of you who posted on this topic as it provide me with some very good input looking at it from both perspectives.
Merry Christmas to all.

Tags
heat, heater