Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #29

When the kids were small, we used campground showers because we simply didn't have enough waste water capacity (we seldom if ever see full hookups where we camp). Now that it's just me and DW, we mostly use the shower in out trailer.

We have always used the toilet in the TT.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I paid a lot of money to have my own toilet and shower. I use them rather than the iffy public showers.

We have worked as campground host and had to clean the restrooms. Seeing the horrible bathroom habits of some, I refuse to use the campground showers. We have had to shut down the bathroom to clean poop out of the shower stalls, walls and toilet stalls. We no longer host where we have to clean the restrooms.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
So to those that say they are uncomfortable using public toilets..... what do you do when you're away from your RV? Shopping? Siteseeing?
I am like BH.....65 I do not like public restrooms for #2
I have trained myself over many years. I go #2 once a day in the morning after a cup of coffee. Then I am good. Only if I am sick or have a stomach bug does that schedule change.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #32

Quote:
So to those that say they are uncomfortable using public toilets..... what do you do when you're away from your RV? Shopping? Siteseeing?

It has been my experience MEN are messy when it comes to public restrooms'

I use MY own facilities PRIOR to going any place and rarely do I have a need for a public restroom.

If I do......I do.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigger67 View Post
Why do so many Rvers use the campground facilities instead of using there own rig???We are fulltimers and much prefer to use our own.
I hate using public restrooms, especially when they are run down and in need of repairs. I know that the odds of actually getting sick or catching some disease from a toilet seat are practically 0, and that public restrooms are probably cleaned more than I clean my own TT toilet, but I just don't like them. There's something I simply don't like about using the same toilet that 1,000 other people have used.
Urinals are less worrying to me. Urine is sterile, and I can angle things properly to minimize splashing. It's still kinda gross though.

Quote:
I begrudgingly use the public toilet. If there's Lysol available, I give it a good dousing and let it do it's thing for the required 30 seconds to be effective. (Read the instructions on the bottle) If not, I go for the seat cover thingies. If neither of those are available, I usually line the seat with TP as a makeshift seat cover. I do, of course, flush the TP seat cover. I'm not that guy who leaves it there for the next person to deal with. No matter which method of "cleaning" I use, I get in the stall, do what I gotta do, and get out of that nasty place in a hurry.

Like Old-Biscuit, I try to minimize the chances of me needing to use public facilities, but it happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
It has been my experience MEN are messy when it comes to public restrooms'
I worked a bit of retail when I was much younger. The men's restrooms did get messy, but the women's restrooms typically were worse. Not to be too graphic, but there are women who hover over the toilet to do their thing. (Think your aim is bad?...) The higher the hover, the more likely they are to miss the mark. Sure, men will occasionally pee on the seat, but I can't even figure out how women do some of the things I've had to clean in the bathrooms.
I can assure you, women are every bit as nasty as men when it comes to public restrooms, if not worse.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
We use campground showers because 4 of us can shower at one time.

They need to be at least 21.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #35

Call me funny, but when we bought our TT 2 years ago, I told Pammi that she could # 1 in there all she wanted, but #2 needed to be an emergency. ONLY because it's a small TT, 18 feet, and there are huge gaps at the bottom and top of the door. Don't want the whole unit smelling of you know what!
But, we've both had to do the duty in there.
And, my job is hooking and unhooking everything, so I just dealt with it the few times it's happened.
As they say, doo doo occurs.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
They need to be at least 21.
only 18, not serving them booze.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #37

My wife likes to use the RV. I prefer the CG showers/restroom IF they are acceptable to my standards. I love long, hot showers. I served in the Army in Viet Nam. We don't have a restroom in the US that can even come close to the "facilities" we had.

I generally don't worry about what "everyone" else does.
Bipeflier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #38

You might want to disinfect other things you use.

https://www.ajc.com/news/health-med-...ng8qlAYJYj8kM/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
ONLY because it's a small TT, 18 feet, and there are huge gaps at the bottom and top of the door. Don't want the whole unit smelling of you know what!

As they say, doo doo occurs.
You do know that you can run the vent fan in the bathroom while you are in there. It will suck the air under the door and out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #40

I guess some here have never been in the military or traveled outside of the US...
Old 10-04-2019, 05:02 AM   #41

Small B+/C- and dry camp in rustic areas of campground for better experience.
No sewer hookup so limited grey water capacity.
I don't want to have to dump every other day because of limited tank capacity.
If I had a huge class A with huge tanks, I would use the RV shower.
Have a huge shower but unless perfectly level there is always water in the shower basin.
Need the extra room of the shower for storage so mopping up the leftover water is a pain.
Only long stay in campgrounds where facilities are in usable condition.
One night stays while moving will use on board shower when facilities are poor.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #42

Skipping on by quite a few of the posts, as they say - TMI!

We use both. If we are in a state park without full facilities we limit the use of water and depend on the bathhouse. Most of the state parks we've visited have very nice shower and bath facilities.

When we stay at full service facilities we rarely use the bath house unless we both need to shower and are in a hurry.
Charming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground