Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 05:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs down Campground Boulders!!!

I understand they are protecting their turf (pun intended) but those boulders!!! I had them at my CG today and finally realized what they were for. I saw a MH hit one at a CG outside Yellowstone! And it wasn't the first by the look at some of them! Those are some expensive rocks!!!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Prophetstown SP (IN) has them everywhere. They're site number markers.

Ironic story: This was the park where DH taught me how to back into a site, both on driver's side & on blind side.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050616.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	185454   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050624.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	705.6 KB
ID:	185455  

Name:	P1050664.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	185456  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
WDW

Campground Boulders!!!

Oh I hate to admit it but one jumped out between our MH & toad while landing in a spot parallel to the road while avoiding the electric, water, trees and another rock at Colter Bay, Grand Teton NP. One minor scratch. Lucky!

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	185463
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Prophetstown SP (IN) has them everywhere. They're site number markers.

Ironic story: This was the park where DH taught me how to back into a site, both on driver's side & on blind side.

Lori-
At least those ones are off the road. If one hits those, they need way more practice backing.

Some CG's put them right on the corners. A spotter is helpful.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

Watch out for tree stumps too! I sat on one earlier in the day. Then when pulling out it bit the side of the coach. That was after DW asked, "Do you want me to watch?" My answer, "Nah". Super dumb...
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I can understand why CGs do that, however they do represent a considerable hazard. I just don't understand why they have to put them right at the edge of the corner.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The boulders take the place of a "Keep off the grass" sign!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

I suspect that anyone having a problem in a campground with boulders maybe shouldn't be behind the wheel. We have driven through many in the west without ever having an incident either driving or backing in to a site. And we're only in our second year of RVing. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow! That slammed the commode lid pretty hard there friend. Only in your second year, give it some time.

Now for me it was a roving tree stump hiding in some bushes that chased me down and hit me.

That after 15 or 20 years.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I suspect that anyone having a problem in a campground with boulders maybe shouldn't be behind the wheel. We have driven through many in the west without ever having an incident either driving or backing in to a site. And we're only in our second year of RVing. Chuck

That's just asking for it - make sure you post up when it happens!

I was thinking the same thing - how can anyone hit the side of their trailer, till I pulled into a dark, tight campground. Didn't even see the nicely placed concrete post that got me! I'm not a fan of boulders, markers, or fences right on the outer limits of the sites. Between that and narrow roads thru the campgrounds, some places don't leave much room for error or maneuver.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #11

The ones on the site I am backing into don't bother me. It is the ones in the site across from my site that I worry about. My co pilot and myself are so focused on watching the trailer when backing up that I forget about the front of the TV. Especially in those tight spots that you have to really work at it to get your trailer in.
havok72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #12

For those fans of Hill St. Blues, in the words of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus, it is a dangerous world, so "Lets be careful out there". Just because it has not happened to you yet, does not mean that it won't. I found a stationary grill in a campground the hard way.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #13

Chuckbear's got it right; Remember, its the DW who's the spotter, so when I hit it, its always HER fault!
(anyone have a sofa I can sleep on for a couple o' nights while she cools off?)
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #14

OK, maybe that was a bit harsh. But if you back over things or into things or cut corners too close, you're just not paying enough attention. Maybe we are only 2 years into our RV but this last trip was 12,000 miles and we lost track of the number of campsites. The RV does not move until we take a close look at everything around us and plan for all potential mishaps in advance. If it's too dark to safely pull into a site, we find a spot in a parking lot or open spot in the campground until daylight. If the site looks OK after we scout it in the dark, we will carefully pull in. If the day comes that I do have a mishap, it will be because I screwed up and not because of the placement of boulders, fence posts or anyone else's fault but my own. I have been towing boats up to 45 feet long for decades so do have some practice in backing into tight spaces. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground