Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #1

Campground Courtesy

DW and I were camping recently and had the unfortunate luck of getting a site on a direct line between a 3 family group with 7 kids and the bath house. There were open sites on both sides of our camper but this group walked through our camp site daily, not on the perimeter, actually under our canopy. Both children and adults did this. I'm looking for advice. At what point do you say something? We remained quiet hoping to avoid hostilities. What would you do?
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #2

I would quietly ask one of the adults to educate the children that campground etiquette requires people to avoid other's campsights. Tell them that you know the adults know better, but the children should learn.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Kind of a "gray" area...I remembered back a few years ago had the same thing happening. Just kind of made up an excess to talk to one of the adults in the other party and casually bring it up about general camp site courtesy's. After that it was better.

You just kind of have to feel them out...RVers / campers in general are very friendly people.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
That's a toughie! I think it would depend on the attitude of the adults. If they were very friendly folks I MIGHT just let it slide. Otherwise I would definitely call their hand on it! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Hmmmm, hard to say whether I would have said anything or not . . .

If the adult(s) was(were) big, furry and fussy . . . well, I probably would have just kept quiet. Unless, of course, my temper was to override my brain (happens )

One part of RVing that really rocks is neighbors aren't neighbors for very long!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
DW and I were camping recently and had the unfortunate luck of getting a site on a direct line between a 3 family group with 7 kids and the bath house. There were open sites on both sides of our camper but this group walked through our camp site daily, not on the perimeter, actually under our canopy. Both children and adults did this. I'm looking for advice. At what point do you say something? We remained quiet hoping to avoid hostilities. What would you do?
Nothing tough about this, kids have a excuse, they are young and maybe never bee taught manners, and in this case.....the adults were ignorant people! period. the kids had a excuse in this case.......their parents were ignorant people, animals are just as smart as their owners! Same with humans. After the first trip through, I'd had one of the adults attention and discussed this with them as it seems they needed to be educated on camping manors. Maybe then they could of taught their children something also, and if they got mad.........oh well, be mad.......just stay off my campsite just out of respect that had to be brought to their attention.
Most all campgrounds/resorts have it right in their rules " no cutting through campsites" ! I have seen it in just about all resort/campground rules, and the rules were put in the rules for stupid people that have no manors! Most people do not need to read the rules where they go..... they are there just in case the owners have to show them to you........
Old 01-26-2014, 01:06 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I've always characterized it as a safety issue. We are kayakers and bikers, so have large objects that are often positioned near the rear of the passenger-side of the coach. They are tripping hazards. But especially safety conscious when my grill is out. I share my concern from that perspective and the parents usually "get it." And the mention of the hazards will be my defense if one of the kiddos actually does trip and fall. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
You can try to "block" the natural walking pattern through your site with chairs or a vehicle.

Ask politely: " Would you please walk around rather than through our site?"

The most important thing is to never park between other sites and a rest room or playground again.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had 2 kids actually peering into our windows recently (not malicious, just curious boys). When I opened the door they just wanted to tell us they had seen a skunk and to be careful!

Adults should know not to walk through a site - maybe they were newbies?
Old 01-26-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
There were open sites on both sides of our camper but this group walked through our camp site daily, not on the perimeter, actually under our canopy. Both children and adults did this. I'm looking for advice. At what point do you say something?
We would have said something the first time.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Tell them that when they walked up in your campsite you don't see them until the last minute, and it scared the hell out of you. Tell them that you grabbed your gun and it was at that moment you realized it was just other campers.... Tell em you suffer with flash backs from the war, I think they will avoid your site in the future. ...lol
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

I would have simply assumed they didn't know any better and said something to the first person. I was taken camping and bowling and hiking and picnicking and fishing and all sorts of things by my parents who taught me to always leave a place better than I found it, yield to the bowler on the right, keep to the path, help anyone who needs help, etc.

I wonder if the adults are first generation campers. I would say something like this to a kid, "Hi, nice to meet you. Did you know walking under my awning at a campsite is like me walking through your living room in your house? Please stay to the path unless you are coming to visit me."
Old 01-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not hard. "Keep out of my campsite" (nicely of course). First time I tell the kids, second time their parents, third time the camp owners. I go camping to relax. Inconsiderate people do not relax me.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Next time they come thru, hand them a full doggie poop bag and ask them to drop it off at the dumpster!!!

DICK
Acker1 is offline   Reply With Quote