Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #1

Campground Etiquette

Recently discovered neighbor using broad spectrum weed killer around his site and he was spraying my site where he knows I walk my three little dogs. Your thoughts please.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
He should have asked permission before doing anything on your site, but he might have thought he was doing you a favor.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

I would first determine the brand of weed killer your neighbor is using, then go to a Lowe's or Home Depot where they carry a variety of weed killer brands.

When you find the brand your neighbor is using, check the label for any warnings on use around pets.

If it warns against use around pets, then I would politely request the neighbor not spray the area on your site. Should the neighbor be uncooperative I would then take the matter up with the owner or manager of the RV park where you're staying.

Good luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

Well, like I said, it was broad spectrum weed killer. He was dousing the grass that I was already trimming. And he knows I walk the dogs there.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
He may have been trying to do you a favor! Really. Had a little weed-b-gone left over and thought he'd help his good neighbor. Perhaps he simply didn't think of the impact on your dogs --- not saying he shouldn't, just maybe he didn't.

If you think he's an otherwise good neighbor, seems he should get the benefit of your neighborliness (is that a word??).

Also impacting the situation might be what he thinks of you as a neighbor. Could be the weeds are less annoying to him than your dogs.

You know the details . . . I'm just trying to think of things I'd consider in your situation. Wouldn't be fair of me, knowing only what you've explained, to say this guy's intentions were incorrect.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Why not just ask the neighbor if the weed killer is a danger to pets? Sometimes non pet owners just don't think about consequences.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #7

It would seem to me that the most logical approach would be to knock on the neighbors door and say "I noticed you spraying something in the grassy area over there. I usually walk my dogs in that area several times per day and I was wondering if you know if there is anything that might be hazardous to my animals?"
You should get a pretty immediate sense of whether he is a complete moron and relies with a "I really don't know or care" response or a response that lets you know it never occurred to him and he will be sure not to do that again in the future.
Good fences make good neighbors but so does good conversation.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I'd take the "ask about danger to animals" advice before challenging his actions. He might have thought he was doing you a favor either killing the weeds to make poop pickup easier and/or controlling ticks that might infest your dogs.
Someone that was intent on harming your animals would probably use more devious means then weed killer.
Non-pet owners don't consider many things hazzards like us pet owners do.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #9

It goes deeper. The neighbor has his own two overgrown aging Shepherds. While his wife is always saying we should "claim" the area behind us, as they have behind their's, doesn't he come through with his dogs, leaving "sign" along the way? To top it off he backs his buddy up across this area just 4 feet from my rig's rear so he can loan him some firewood. These people are ignorant. They are the one's obligated to knock on the door. By the way, everyone knows I am on oxygen and I don't need to be near any chemical sprays nor should I have to worry about what my dogs are traipsing thru on my site. Campground Etiquette!!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

Well, you did not preface your comments with the fact that you were already a very angry man. I would suggest that your best course of action would be to move to another location as you and your neighbor apparently have a history that you have no interest in trying to resolve. If you already knew/believed that he did this intentionally, there was no real point in asking for our thoughts.
If you were just looking for somewhere to vent your frustrations I hope that this helped.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #11

You're darned right I am angry!! I don't short-cut across other sites. I don't alter other sites. My dogs stay on my site. I have a lease on the site and cannot just pick-up and move. You know that, Bill! Now why can't I vent about lousy neighbors? Do we have to go on about Walmart parking and lousy brakes ad infinatum? Thank god they're only here on weekends. Thank god it was not my little dog that was attacked by the shepherd they couldn't handle. Campground Etiquette!!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

You are welcome to vent, I never implied otherwise.
I am not sure how I would know that you are on a leased site. Despite my extreme good looks and amazing troubleshooting skills, I am not physic.
I would not have even commented on your post had you not ended it with "Your thoughts please". I see now that you had no interest in anyone's response. I apologize that I did not realize that you simply wanted to vent.
Vent away! This is a great place for it.
I am headed back to the Wal-Mart parking thread.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #13

Is this a long-term site? Most weed killers, like RoundUp, take two or three weeks to have their full effect. Indescrimiate spraying by a short-term visitor is definitely not kosher.

I'd be talking to the park management. They might be surprised when the vegetation starts dying off in a couple of weeks. At least, if you report what your neighbor was doing, they wouldn't blame it on you!
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:00 PM   #14

IMO- Unless your neighbor owns the campground he should leave his weed killer at home.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote