Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #155

If you don't feel comfortable posting name of cg here at least post it at
campgroundreviews.com. We'd like to know.
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM   #156

I do my best to just ignore bad manners. You can not fix stupid.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:49 PM   #157
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagray View Post
I do my best to just ignore bad manners. You can not fix stupid.
Great out look it helps to not spoil your time and environment.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #158

Don't get me wrong. The cg is great in every other respects. I'm going to be here until december and maybe longer and don't plan on moving anywhere. Not the cg's fault the town puts too high a speed limit sign up. Maybe I can get a big '35' to put over it when no-one is looking
UXOtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #159

LOL we keep our "baby" Dozer is his name,a boxer/rotty mix on a 20' chain out side the 5'er.No one even gets close.He is a big baby but you cant tell that by looking at him.
woody! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #160

Freightliner Owners Club
Most CGs I've been in limit the length of leads to 6'. IMO 20' is far too much for a dog of that size and power especially if he is near the loop road.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #161

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody! View Post
LOL we keep our "baby" Dozer is his name,a boxer/rotty mix on a 20' chain out side the 5'er.No one even gets close.He is a big baby but you cant tell that by looking at him.
Woody, with all due respect, you do a disservice to campers who own dogs. Those of us who are in control of our dogs, at all times, are suffering because of behavior like yours.

I'm sure my pup would protect me if he felt the need, but I don't leave him outside to threaten people or as an invitation for someone to hurt him. If I felt that need, I would know that I was camping in a dangerous place, and I would move.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #162

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! I just spent better part of an hour reading through this thread, and all I can say is that it opened my eyes.

Many of the CG's that my wife and I visit, which is really only three or four in Southern Illinois, are just not that crowded, so we haven't seen as much of this as others have.

One of my main reasons for going camping is just getting out and away from the crowds. I spent twenty three years in the military and have traveled to many different country's, and in my opinion, "stupid" ie rude behavior, is universal.

For me, I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated...With that said, I'll certainly make every effort to find a spot to camp that is out of the way a bit.
bull1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #163

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bull1966 View Post

I spent twenty three years in the military and have traveled to many different country's, and in my opinion, "stupid" ie rude behavior, is universal.

For me, I try to treat others as I'd like to be treated...With that said, I'll certainly make every effort to find a spot to camp that is out of the way a bit.
99% of campers /rvers are like you, Bull. Fortunately, we (now I) have never encountered this type of behavior, in all of my years of camping, except for a stray dog years ago. I have called campgrounds that have restrictions on the size of dogs, and if there are other "woodys" out there, I can understand why. Generally speaking, though, Labs don't have the bad reputation that some breeds have whether they deserve it or not. This is an example of an irresponsible owner. I hate to question anyone's truthfulness if I don't know them, but I sincerely doubt that any campground (private or public) would allow a dog to be kept on a 20 foot chain.

After thinking about the post, I believe it was made by a troll to get a reaction, and I'm sorry I reacted-I won't, again. JMO
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #164

20 foot chain; maybe not a 20 foot chain------but how many dog owners have a; what I call a urealy; (that contracption that lets ther dog run out to 20 or more feet), then they can simply push a button on reel them in; or let them out to run all over the place. This is NOT a 6 foot leash. I see these all the time; the owners let the dog run up in campsites and do there business then real them in.
( OK NOW ALL YOU DOG OWNERS, START HOWLING (NOT ME NOT ME)
I've been camping over 30 years and I( would say 90% of owners have a urealy. IT'S NOT A 6 FOOT LEASH FOLKS).
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #165

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A camper recently had his dog tied outside at Big Meadows at skyline drive last Oct when I was there. The dog saw our dogs and wanted to play and broke his lead. I handed the lead to the person I was with and managed to catch the dog and got him back to his owner. He was very thankful and had no idea that could happen. Snapped the Ring and broke it.
I have been breeding and involved in dogs and dog shows for 30 years and am very responsible and have also seen it all. I use ex pens but the dogs are never unsupervised when they are in them. They get out of ex pens also very easily. They can jump over or go under them.
Remember the dog may be the friendliest dog in the world but other people have the right to walk their dogs around a campground without a tied up dog harassing their dogs. Your loose dog may be friendly, but my dog that I am walking on a leash may see your friendly dog bounding toward me as a threat and decide he wants to protect me. Your loose dog may see some wildlife and take off after it and you may never find that dog again. There have been lost dogs from shows as they have gotten out, usually through negligence on the handler or owner and they were never retrieved.
Your nice dog tied up may decide they want to protect their "property" and all of a sudden become protective and bark and growl provoking a response from the passing dogs.

Flexi leads are another hot subject. If you know how to use them they are great. This means the ability to shorten the lead when you see another human or animal and grasp the webbing to keep the dog under control. CONTROL at all times is the key words here. Most flexi lead operators I see don't and let the animal run wherever. They can, if your not careful, cause damage to the dog if the dog bolts and comes up short at the end of the lead. This sudden stop can cause trauma to the neck or trachea. I walk the dogs on a short lead even with the flexi lead through areas like campgrounds and use the longer lead capabilities to let the dog get a bit of a run in an area away from others, as in a big field etc... In that case the flexi leads are worth their weight in gold as the dogs system gets moving and he can do his business faster plus get a few good little runs in and still be attached to a lead and under control.
That being said I do most of my walks in CG or shows on short leads .. not flexi leads. There is a time and place for everything.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #166

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hmmm. Not too many cat stories so far. Why is that?

Cute and cuddly, you say? They are; I have two. But not when someone lets their big unneutered male out and it decides to crawl into your engine compartment and mark your firewall as his territory . Fortunately, iron and rubber do not absorb the smell, and it washes off easily.

Keith
Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM   #167

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
Hmmm. Not too many cat stories so far. Why is that?

Cute and cuddly, you say? They are; I have two. But not when someone lets their big unneutered male out and it decides to crawl into your engine compartment and mark your firewall as his territory . Fortunately, iron and rubber do not absorb the smell, and it washes off easily.

Keith
We have a neighbor a few campsites down that lets a cat and a kitten run loose. Both our dogs are always on a leash or tied at our site with a cable short enough so that can not get even near the next site. The older one loves cats and would cuddle right up to the one we lost years ago. The younger dog is very interested, almost crazy when he sees one but we don't know if it is because he wants to play or bite the cats head off. So if one of them wanders loose into our site and gets torn to shreds is this our fault? We do try to keep an eye on them but you know how fast things like this can happen.

P.S. Our cat was never allowed to roam. She was either inside or on a lead and harness. Sounds weird for a cat but we never had to worry about her getting lost or run over.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #168

We seem to have strayed into pet talk. Are there any pet threads active? I hope so since I love to talk about my mini-doxie Ruby. She loves rv'ing also. As for cg etiq. I walk her outside often and always make sure she stays in our area or in public areas. at 4 1/2 she will not walk on a leash, PERIOD. No amount of training EVER changed that. So instead I keep within 5 feet of me at all times. Sometimes I get looks about this, but 1. I keep her close 2.no-one ever gets near her 3. she's very friendly, quiet, non-nipping and 4. she obeys verbal command always, minus the leash
UXOtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote