Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

campground experience

This morning saw a camper standing by his water heater with the door open. I asked if he had problems and he said I think my water heater broke. Water all on ground. He did not have a clue. I stopped and asked if I could help and he said his water heater ruptured. Never saw that so I removed the comp. door inside and saw no water in back of heater, there was a paper bag that had slid down from cabinet above and it was dry. I asked him to turn water on and count to three and turn it off. No leaks so I turned it back on and left it. No leaks heater lit off and had hot water soon. After investigating further he had no water pressure regulator and did not even know what they were. Campground had high pressure and relief on heater lifted and flooded the area. i advised him to turn off the heater , get a regulator and install it before turning heater and water back on. I had to take him to my camper to show him a water pressure regulator looks like and what it does. I think he got it finally.
Virginia
Bandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #2

That is what it is all about, helping our fellow campers. Good Job....
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the reminder to all of us.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Favorite campground has 125 psi, have always used a Watts regulator when there. I also carry a pressure gauge to check before hooking up so I knew whether to hoof the Watts up or not. Present rig has one built in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
One of the first things I bought when equipping my MH was a Progressive surge protector and Watts water pressure regulator.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

A pressure regulator was one of the second things I bought for my trailer 30 some years ago.Should have been the first......

I had a little 16' pull behind and it was my first outing. DW was standing by the sink when I hooked up the HIGH pressure water. It blew the tap clean off. Needless to say DW was yelling at me to turn the water off.

A friendly camper walked over and "educated" me on the importance of the little device. I have since passed on this gem of advise to many fellow campers.

Glad you could help out the camper, Bandt.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #7

Since I am often a contrary voice, I will suggest an alternative. Fill the fresh water tank and use that instead of connecting to city water and it’s possible pressure issues. When it’s time to refill the tank, it’s also time to dump your holding tanks.

Viola! No more worries about pressure, faulty tank sensors, expensive pressure regulators being forgotten, etc.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Since I am often a contrary voice, I will suggest an alternative. Fill the fresh water tank and use that instead of connecting to city water and it’s possible pressure issues. When it’s time to refill the tank, it’s also time to dump your holding tanks.

Viola! No more worries about pressure, faulty tank sensors, expensive pressure regulators being forgotten, etc.

And I am sure you Always use your genset instead of the shore power at each park because you don't have a surge protector, Right?
Why wear your stuff out when you pay for a site??
1doodadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1doodadd View Post
And I am sure you Always use your genset instead of the shore power at each park because you don't have a surge protector, Right?

Why wear your stuff out when you pay for a site??

I carry a generator but have yet to need it. Solar!

Don’t like my alternative? Then Don’t use it. It was offered as an alternative. You’re rig, your choice.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Quote:

The couple that we have camped with for many years do the same thing with the water. He never hooks up the hose except for a black tank flush.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

X2. This is what I do. I have plenty of pressure and it's super easy to turn off the pump on my way out the door. With the installed diaphragm we even get two or three flushes with the pump off. I have a 1996 Tioga and the original pump. IMO more things fail in a MH from non use than from overuse. (Not including slides)
My main reason is my coach is old and when the plumbing breaks I want to be there and hear the pump running.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
WOW! Now THAT's what you call a newbie! Nice of you to help him!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #13

Nice job helping out! When I purchased my unit, the dealer provided a starter kit with a sewer elbow, water filter removal tool, rubber gloves, black tank deodorizer, and a water pressure regulator. The 'walk through' guy emphasized that the regulator be put on before I ever turned on the external water. I guess they didn't want to deal with any warranty issues.

Still... that was a good reminder.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of my customers were older and forgetful. Many complained about losing their regulators. It seems that when leaving the site, they disconnected the hose from the regulator and not the regulator from the faucet. I told them to do what I do. I buy the 50 to 60 pressure regulator. I install the regulator to the hose using locktite. I then tighten the two with pliers. No way will they forget and leave the regulator behind. The reason I always use a regulator is because The pressure in the campground may be low during the day because everyone has their water running. But during the night when all the faucets are turned off, the pressure can rise. So, checking the pressure when you check in does not mean that is the pressure all the time.

Tags
campground