Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at their website, looked at the locations in a few states, and clicked on a lot of their campgrounds. There appears to be a LOT of restrictions. Most only let you stay one or two days with discount, many only let you stay during certain months, many will not let you make reservations so you're taking a chance that they will have anything available when you get there, many require cash only, and on and on. I'm not sure if this would be worth the hassle ???

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It's certainly worth the hassle. I've never failed to recoup my $44.00. Usually takes me 2 stays to recoup then start saving money.

I use them primarily for 1 or 2 day stops on the road.

I've stayed for as little as $14.00 per night. $14.00 per night for a pull through with FHUs is good deal.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #17

I guess that it depends on how you want to use them. I use them when traveling across country for usually one or two nights at a time.

If you are looking for a campground to use as a destination park to stay for an extended time, they probably won't work well in that case.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 AM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
It's certainly worth the hassle. I've never failed to recoup my $44.00. Usually takes me 2 stays to recoup then start saving money.

I use them primarily for 1 or 2 day stops on the road.

I've stayed for as little as $14.00 per night. $14.00 per night for a pull through with FHUs is good deal.

Lets see now $44 cost and $14 a nightx5 nights tot cost=$114 compare to $28 x5 nights =$140

Saved $26 any less days not a good deal!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Lets see now $44 cost and $14 a nightx5 nights tot cost=$114 compare to $28 x5 nights =$140

Saved $26 any less days not a good deal!
$14.00 was the lowest cost I paid, the other end is $56.00 per night CG in Lethbridge where we stayed for $28.00 per night.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM   #20

For a reasonable place to stay for the night while on the road they can't be beat, except by Wally World parking lots, but Wally doesn't offer full hook-ups.
And BTW is that the new math 5x14=114?? to me it looks more like 70! Summer before last (hadn't joined PPA yet) we were going to stay at Wally World, but because the temps were in the hi 90s we decided we would sleep well in that heat, so we used a KOA (pricey yet) 54 bucks for the night, but at least we were cool. If it had been a PPA we would have almost recouped the membership cost. To each their own.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #21

As often as I have stumbled upon a true bargain, I've also been screwed, blued and tattooed by campgrounds doing their best to liberate me from my cash without a fair exchange of goods or services. Passport America makes the going a bit easier and savings more pronounced, once you learn the ropes.

If you are willing to invest a bit of time researching PPA member campgrounds at sites like RV Park Reviews :: Home, and are willing, once in a while, to stray a tad from the beaten path, you can save some really big bucks with PPA.

That said, many "PPA member" campgrounds have some pretty creative rules to figure out if you want to play. Be sure to look into each one carefully.

Of course, there are quite a few "member" campgrounds that inflate their regular price to get top dollar from the (I'm assuming) free advertising PPA gives them. They'll say the regular price is $40, PPA price is $20. Once you arrive, you might flinch at $20 as a regular price.

As far as I'm concerned, because I save at least 10 times what I pay to PPA each year, it's a hard deal to pass on.

Again, for the best experience, YOU have to do some homework.

Also, be sure to review your stay at a member (or any other) campground at RV Park Reviews :: Home. Every little bit helps us all.

Spend your $44. Enjoy!

Steve
Old 12-16-2011, 02:45 PM   #22

We've been a member of PPA, but not sure whether we'll renew, as we only use it for overnights, and often parks where we overnight are non participants. It would be cost effective if one plans in advance to time their end of day travel in an area where there's a participating park, but we don't do that.

Safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #23

Well, we don't do a lot of planning ahead but do ask ourselves what is about 250 miles or so from here and once we figure our direction we look in our directories first for an Elks Lodge - second for a Passport America Camp Ground - and then at the Trailer Life directory. This we do in the summer when we want an overnight being able to run the air conditioner. If we don't need the electric hook up we don't do much planning other than pick the direction.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
For a reasonable place to stay for the night while on the road they can't be beat, except by Wally World parking lots, but Wally doesn't offer full hook-ups.
And BTW is that the new math 5x14=114?? to me it looks more like 70! Summer before last (hadn't joined PPA yet) we were going to stay at Wally World, but because the temps were in the hi 90s we decided we would sleep well in that heat, so we used a KOA (pricey yet) 54 bucks for the night, but at least we were cool. If it had been a PPA we would have almost recouped the membership cost. To each their own.
Reread the above post it said $44 + $14x5= $114
Old 12-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Not trying to hijack the thread, but what else do you subscribe to? Good Sam a beneficial investment? The combination of GS and PA, AARP, USAA help offset costs?

Yes, we are brand new...
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have Passport America, Good Sam, AAA and FMCA, between the 4 I always find 1 that will work.

Sometimes VFW and American Legion works if in an area where a post has a parking for RVs.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #27

OldPugVA, Some fraternal organizations such as Elks & Moose allow or have RV parking, some with hookups and some without. (I gave up on AARP - it seemed to me they wanted to tell me how to vote). I have and use the same that sdennislee uses. Hey, what's that big brown/red dog doing to your pug in the photo?
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog
OldPugVA, Some fraternal organizations such as Elks & Moose allow or have RV parking, some with hookups and some without. (I gave up on AARP - it seemed to me they wanted to tell me how to vote). I have and use the same that sdennislee uses. Hey, what's that big brown/red dog doing to your pug in the photo?
Safe Travels
Bob
Appreciate your response. Agree with you on AARP.

The red puppy got 'stuck' on the Pug at the dog park. Could not get off. Pug walked around with the puppy on his back for a while. I finally quit laughing and lifted him off.

OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground