Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 03:32 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
The extra costs involved in this would be a turn off for me, as a person who does not spend a lot of time surfing the web while traveling. My 'unlimited' data plan on my phone provides more than enough of an internet connection for me while traveling. And if it's not strong where in staying, oh well. Guess I get to enjoy being in the great outdoors without the distractions. I stayed at a campground in mackinaw city that had 'basic' internet for free (which was basically a joke) and 'premium' internet for a fee. That is a great set up so those who want it can pay for it, but those of us who are camping to enjoy nature do not have to pay for it.

Everyone camps for different reasons, so making it affordable for some people means taking away the fancy comforts from others.

You can please some of the people all the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all the people all the time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 03:40 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If it were in the RV park reviews then I can choose campgrounds so I can work there. It's perfectly fine if a campground in a sparse area has no connection, I just want to know before I book it. But many campgrounds are in or near decent size city locations and simply run minimalistic operations as maybe they just don't care about tech. They care about only full hookup trio of services and that's it. Some of us need more.

Presently going someplace is a big unknown and I may be forced to move simply so I can work and tend to my business. My customers don't know I'm looking over a gorgeous lake, they think I'm in a suit in an office somewhere I did a 34 day caravan recently and we were in Rock Springs, WY and AT&T was no go there. I overnighted a Verizon MiFi to save the day. Wi-Fi actually ended up working out well thankfully for my Wi-Fi Ranger setup but having the Verizon backup has been good. I pay a lot of money for my cellular setup (AT&T Mobley Primary, Verizon MiFi and Google Fi backup) with weboost and wi-fi ranger setups.

The gist is the campgrounds CAN do better but if we don't make noise, it won't happen. No company likes negative reviews, add Wi-Fi to the review system and that will improve it right there. I will reach out to the RV park review sites I use and make the requests for adding this to the review.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #17

First, simply put, a wireless data network and its "backhaul" connection to an Internet Service Provider sufficient to provide a satisfying experience for "all" costs more than "all" are willing to pay.

Second, folks who attempt to use park Wi-Fi to watch TV over the Internet make the problem worse.

Third, designing, building and supporting a high-capacity wireless data network (and its associated backhaul circuits) is not easy. I doubt many RV parks want to play at the required level.

Finally, wired data networks provide reliability, speed and security. If you have to be on the Internet all day long, do what a homeowner or commercial user would do- get a connection from the landline or cable guys. If that doesn't work, then get your own WAN hotspot and pay for the service you need.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
First, simply put, a wireless data network and its "backhaul" connection to an Internet Service Provider sufficient to provide a satisfying experience for "all" costs more than "all" are willing to pay.

Second, folks who attempt to use park Wi-Fi to watch TV over the Internet make the problem worse.

Third, designing, building and supporting a high-capacity wireless data network (and its associated backhaul circuits) is not easy. I doubt many RV parks want to play at the required level.

Finally, wired data networks provide reliability, speed and security. If you have to be on the Internet all day long, do what a homeowner or commercial user would do- get a connection from the landline or cable guys. If that doesn't work, then get your own WAN hotspot and pay for the service you need.
You will never stop people from Netflix, movies on their tablets, or connecting to slingbox to use their TV service at home and avoid satellite costs which I wouldn't need personally if I could use slingbox and then AirPlay to my Apple TV's in my coach. Done!

Hey, we have coax at the post, why not put ethernet connections then? There's your non wireless config, you save money, now pipe in 20-50 MB service to each site. There are ways of doing this, until we demand it then it will never happen. Full timers I'm sure would want this along with us working temporarily in frequent destinations or traveling for business ala RV.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #19

We really don't surf much while using the RV. If we need to we just use the phone as a hotspot. The few times I tried different campground wifi's it was horribly slow and not secure (which blows me away). I certainly would not use it to access anything personal such as my bank account.

So another vote for no thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I gave up on campground wireless years ago.
1. It almost never works.
2. When it does work, it sucks.
3. It's totally insecure.

Give me my Verizon hotspot anytime. I can even stream Netflix on my Roku connected to the hotspot and not wipe out bandwidth for my campground neighbors. I can check my investments and bank accounts without worrying about a man in the middle attack.
Supply your own connection and let campgrounds do what they do best. No campground owner or manager wants to be the IT guy; it's not their core business, nor should it be.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #21

I'm almost alway fine with just cell service internet.
But sometimes, to go out and see the bestest stuff that Disney cannot ever make in plastic....we go off the grid!
We were with several friends in an off grid park. We talked a ton and were just campers again!
During the coldest months, we are at RV resorts in AZ. Most have great wifi, but you PAY for it. We had enough cell signal!
Summary: don't make me pay for what I don't need! Either bring it or buy it, if you MUST be streaming!!!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Some of you bring up a great point: Security

Hence you don't use it. But you are making no effort to solve the problem. If a campground does have Wi-Fi but is unsecure, why not get that problem fixed and ask them to secure it so you can use it? We all want to keep tabs and should keep tabs on our bank accounts daily with all the hacking and breaches going on, fraud, etc. Campgrounds are not helping you and you're not helping them if you don't say something about something you're not using because of it being unusable for whatever reason, in this case, security.

We can make this better for all of us, need it or not, ask yourself why you don't use it and if you're letting someone provide a poor service that you're accepting as okay.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
If it were in the RV park reviews then I can choose campgrounds so I can work there. It's perfectly fine if a campground in a sparse area has no connection, I just want to know before I book it. But many campgrounds are in or near decent size city locations and simply run minimalistic operations as maybe they just don't care about tech. They care about only full hookup trio of services and that's it. Some of us need more.

Presently going someplace is a big unknown and I may be forced to move simply so I can work and tend to my business. My customers don't know I'm looking over a gorgeous lake, they think I'm in a suit in an office somewhere I did a 34 day caravan recently and we were in Rock Springs, WY and AT&T was no go there. I overnighted a Verizon MiFi to save the day. Wi-Fi actually ended up working out well thankfully for my Wi-Fi Ranger setup but having the Verizon backup has been good. I pay a lot of money for my cellular setup (AT&T Mobley Primary, Verizon MiFi and Google Fi backup) with weboost and wi-fi ranger setups.

The gist is the campgrounds CAN do better but if we don't make noise, it won't happen. No company likes negative reviews, add Wi-Fi to the review system and that will improve it right there. I will reach out to the RV park review sites I use and make the requests for adding this to the review.
Good Luck, - this is not a New Issue.

Think the focus needs to be on the phone companies - it's their Business that's the problem - (JMHO) and because it is a Multi-Billion dollar business that is competitive there is a much better chance for them to come through than a Small Mom and Pop - business that likely will clear much less that a $100K in a year.

So Neal, if you take out the Word campgrounds and insert Phone Companies - I honestly think you will have a better chance at achieving a positive result.

You pay a lot of money, and you are not alone - I honestly believe you have come upon a Great Business opportunity - Go out grab a bunch Gig's/Time off the resellers market - combine them - get a blended cell provider that provides the coverage you need - offer it and all the traveling sales guys will not need to have three separate phones to insure coverage.

You are the Techy, think about - call in a few of you Buddies - go out and Get'er Done.

Just another way to look at the problem.........

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:17 PM   #24

Quote:
Some of you bring up a great point: Security

Hence you don't use it. But you are making no effort to solve the problem. If a campground does have Wi-Fi but is unsecure, why not get that problem fixed and ask them to secure it so you can use it? We all want to keep tabs and should keep tabs on our bank accounts daily with all the hacking and breaches going on, fraud, etc. Campgrounds are not helping you and you're not helping them if you don't say something about something you're not using because of it being unusable for whatever reason, in this case, security.

We can make this better for all of us, need it or not, ask yourself why you don't use it and if you're letting someone provide a poor service that you're accepting as okay.
If a campground went through the expense of making a reliable, fast, secure wifi network the cost per site, per nite would go up across the board. Even for those that never use the internet. I just don't think the need outweighs the expense. My secure phone hotspot is fast enough to run netflix, hulu, etc (another Roku user here) in HD without blinking. I have no desire to pay for someone else's internet needs when I have solved my own.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
They care about only full hookup trio of services and that's it. Some of us need more.

I too have to respectfully disagree with this request for two reasons.

1) The most important things to most of us when we go camping is the location, hookups and amenities, and don't choose a CG based on WI-FI capability. We carry our own hotspot connection and don't have any problems using our computers/streaming movies ect. We pay one low monthly fee which is way less than the upcharge CG's will charge to everyone, not just those that use Wi-Fi. Just as an example let's say the CG says hey what a great idea, we will invest the money, and extend the costs to the Customer. Afterall we don't want "bad reviews".

So lets say they raise their rates $10 a night(who knows what they would charge and you likely would never know it's due to Wi-Fi). And lets say you camp 100 nights a year, now you are paying $1000 a year for something that costs much less on your own, and is a much more secure system than a CG would provide. Not everyone is living in a MH or working out of one. If you are then you need to buy whatever meets your needs to live comfortably or have the availability to work from your MH. That's just one of the "costs" for Full Timing life style, or working from your MH and enjoying the gorgeous view while your clients think you are in a suit in the office. Nothing is free and everyone shouldn't have to pay for others expenses/needs.

2) Be careful what you ask for. Sometimes on IRV2 people think that every thing should be the way they want it, and all vendors need to listen to us, or their business, whatever it may be will suffer due to bad reviews ect. If the worst thing about a CG is the WiFi, than I am a happy camper(no pun intended). I still think most people using RV's are Camping, or at least what we call it. Making "noise" for every little issue tends to ruin the credibility of any group, whomever they are, and this is a great forum. But recently you see people complaining from what/how things should be in a Walmart parking lot to now how all CG's should have WiFi to meet the needs of a few. They make comments about they hope Walmart/Vendors ect read IRV2 so they will know what they should do to meet "our needs". It's one thing for a Forum Group to focus/ or make constructive critcism on the quality of RV construction, or products you may buy, but telling CG owners who have thousands invested how to run their business for our personal needs goes beyond, and vendors will begin to ignore suggestions.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. Don't get me wrong Neal I really enjoy some of your threads and the conversation, but this issue is not worth what it may bring.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:06 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
We choose a campground on its amenities and location if the reviews or website doesn't list what we are looking for then a simple phone call will answer our questions. When we don't require a pool then we will look for one without, if the price of the campground is for services we don't want then look elsewhere and if it is reasonable with amenities not needed will book it. I don't think we pay for others conveniences , I think we mostly pay for location and we'll take location over most any service.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #27

I am going full time in about a month and internet has been a huge consideration for us, but I am never going to depend on a campground for it.

First off, I work in IT, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but my niche is small business networks. One part of that is building and designing wifi networks, so I know exactly what it takes to have streaming at every campsite. The biggest expense isn't going to be the access points around the campground, or cabling or anything like that, the biggest expense will be the pipe into the campground from the ISP.

If a campground has 50 sites being used, and every one of those campers wants to stream netflix at the same time, thats 5 megabits per second per netflix stream, so thats 250 megabits per second minimum that the campground must have, now realistically the campground pays for 250 they can expect 150, so they need 400 megabits per second download speed from there ISP. I don't know if you have ever priced that out, but getting that kind of speed is crazy crazy expensive. Talking $500-$800 a month if not more.

The other part of it is most campgrounds aren't already going to have fiber run to them, so that is another expense the campground has and that fiber run isn't cheap.

As much as I think that would be awesome to have, I just don't think its realistic.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #28

One day...one day in the next decade or so, all of these limitations to wifi/bandwidth anywhere will be a thing of the past. Not sure how they will solve it, but someone will.

Tags
campground