Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation Campground Owners - Please Read

IRV2 should have a forum dedicated to campground owners just like we have other owners forums...

Dear Campground Owners:

It's near the end of 2017 as I write this. I'm a software guru, networking guru, i.e. I'm a techy. Not having hi speed wi-fi in your campgrounds is hurting your business. The technology is there today, you're not powering your sites off of solar or wind mills, you're providing an Internet connection. There is no reason you cannot provide great wifi coverage to your campground and high speed which also supports streaming in every single RV parked in your campground. Cell towers can support it, your wi-fi setup should support it too. Don't be cheap, get a good provider, pay for sufficient speed to supply the bandwidth your customers desire. In fact, consider doing like hotels do, offer a free and premium option, you'll make more money. In addition, a happy customer with a great internet connection will be a returning customer and/or a customer providing you great reviews.

I would like to see RV park review sites/apps have a rating for wi-fi as well so people can know if they are to expect a reliable connection or not. Some if not many work from their RV and this era depends on connectivity.

So I speak on behalf of the connected RV'ers to please bring your campgrounds up to the expectations of today and also refresh your web sites with great information, photo's, and booking/reservations. We are not "camping" at your campground as most of your places are just parking lots, we all know that, we are parked there for the destination, just like a hotel. Offer the amenities your customers expect, internet is the first on that list for most especially with children and working "campers."

I wish I had enough time to help each and every one of you but there are people out there to get you to where you need to be. Make it happen.

Thank you.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree 1000%
Old 09-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #3

Agree 100 percent. I have to spend 8 hours a day online, M-F, and it is a major consideration for me. If an RV park could provide solid internet, it would definitely be a huge draw. Even more so in places that the trusty hotspot can't function.

I gave up on campground wifi and rely on a combination of Verizon and ATT hotspots and a WeBoost. 90 percent of the time the connection is better than the campgrounds.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
10,000% agreed.

I would say 10% of RV parks have advertised WiFi that is crappy at best to send even an email. I don't even "stream". I use it to check email, check weather reports (Weather Street site), Surf IRV2, check for local restaurants.

We were just at Myrtle Beach Travel Park. My site just happened to be 20' from the WiFi repeater on the pole. Around the campground there were maybe 20 of these repeaters. But, if I walked to my truck, I would get very weak WiFi. So if I sat in my RV, or under the awning or near the back of my RV the WiFi was very good.

So I will give MB TP two thumbs up for their usable WiFi...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Whoop Whoop...Thanx Mr. Tech Guy...I agree bigly!!!

I can only see this becoming more important moving forward... For sure I'm NOT A TECHY....However I am a MARKETING AND SALES GUY!!!

Duh....they need to get with it....

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #6

Thank You....NealC!!!!! You are exactly right!

We were just discussing this topic with some friends a couple of days ago.

I guess we all complain among ourselves, but we really should be complaining loudly to more campground/rv park owners. They need to step up, and join the modern world.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Sorry, but I don't agree.

The RV cooperation I belong to looked into this last year for our 200+ residents in Quartzite. In order to get sufficient bandwidth for the on season, we'd have to pay for it year round, and it's not cheap! Now most parks have an on and off season so it's not hard to imagine their situation would be the same. So everyone who stays at the park gets to pay for it even though very few actually use it. No thanks! My phone hot spot provides all the bandwidth I need. If yours doesn't, you should upgrade your service or find a suitable alternative.

That is all.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

I, for one, am happy with cell provided inter-net. We don't spend time in and around our RV for the chance to consume the whole day surfing. More infrastructure development cost money and will result in higher rates.
Homeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a techy too, work from home (or from my RV) and require a stable internet connection to do what I need to do.
I carry my own, because I know that I can't trust the campground to have good wifi.

However, I'm not sure that I agree with your statement of "it's hurting your business".
We often see comments here about how campgrounds are full in the 'desirable' locations (near the coast, snowbird areas, tourist locations, etc).
So if they are running at capacity already, what incentive do they have to spend the money to update their infrastructure so that they have good high speed wifi.
I'm sure you're correct about some campgrounds losing business because they don't have good wifi. But if it's one of those campgrounds that's booked out months in advance, then they just don't have any reason to update.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

I am also in disagreement........

Folks wanting 'internet' should provide it for themselves.....the tech exists.

We FTd for 7 yrs (2007-2014) and used a Verizon 'AIR CARD'....old school compared to what is now available.
And YET we had full access to internet as long as we had a signal which we also had a 'trucker antenna' (again old school) that would boost tower signal from just a 'tower' to 3 bars.

SO if YOU want internet.....provide it for yourself and stop worrying about CGs WiFi systems which are PITA for RVrs AND CG Owners

Provide for your NEEDS YOURSELF...simple.
Isn;t that what RVng is about--------SELF CONTAINED
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #11

Sorry Mr. Biscuit but have to disagree with your disagreement

If you truly feel that we should all be responsible for ourselves and take care of our own needs, then WHY do you use a campground at all? You should provide your own places to stay and arrange for finding places to evacuate your black tank.

I am not asking for anything for free and would be willing to pay for what I want as far as connectivity goes. In addition, I don't use the pools the public restrooms or showers or the clubhouse, so why should I have to pay for those if I don't use them.

Still agree with Mr. Techy the OP...it's time to get with the game, give folks what they want, I didn't see anyone wanting these upgrades for free. BTW...I'll still be ok with part of my fees going to keep the pool clean and cool so you and your family can enjoy the facilities that I don't use but still pay for.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #12

I'd love it esp. where we winter but I am not sure it is really possible for many parks. Shucks there are places we did not have cell service on our recent trip west and that was with ATT. Then like when we were at Grand Canyon the cell phone internet worked but was so overloaded most of the day it might as well have not been there. (Only was fair from 10:30pm to about 8am) Most places our hotspot worked reasonably well but not all. There tends to be a reason and it's doubtful a campground has the ability to always get good internet in some of the more remote locations let alone the cost. Now in more populated areas they probably could but then what would be the cost? I know most motels/hotels have it anymore. I'd think the proper folks to work on are internet providers and get them to provide bandwidth at a reasonable cost for resort/campground use and for more remote locations as well.
If you need it for work I would sure make sure you have it by perhaps multiple means including cell hotspot with one major carrier and perhaps satellite or another carriers hotspot.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #13

It would be nice, but not a game changer for us.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #14

I count on the cell service, never even evaluate the wifi, I just assume it will suck.
wredman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground