Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2004, 03:36 AM   #15

But George, they want to charge $45 per site and then tack on all the fees. And I would still object to paying for my cat who uses a litter box. But even at your method, it's only $15 for 2 persons running it cheap and $20 for 2 persons and 1 pet with full hookups (sans bathhouse fees and playground). I only find prices similar to that in public campgrounds (usually w/e only).
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2004, 03:56 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sunflyer:
If you are referring to a Jellystone park(Yogi Bear?)then take into account that Jellystone parks routinely provide salaried camp counselors and planned activities(arts/crafts w/supplies) and usually additional facilities specifically for kids. That is an expense that justifies charging more.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
When we go to Yogi Bear, ussually twice a year, they do have staff for the planned activities. I do not mind so much paying extra for that because I am receiving a quantifiable service for that extra $2 a night. But they do charge a fee for all the arts and crafts activities and Saturday morning breakfasts. So I am paying per person for those extras above and beyond my site fee. Most of the other activities they have does not require additional staff due to a larger amount of children. An example is the movies. They have one staff member come and put in the movie wheather there are 20 kids or 40. No additional expense on their part. All that being said, I am definately seeing the benefits of membership campgrounds. We are in the process of acquiring an Outdoor World membership, and they won't even charge me to use the indoor water park at the campgrounds, regardeless of how many kids I have.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Lorna....$15-$20 sounds much better to me than does $45. Oh well, there's always a Wal-Mart parking lot in town!

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:39 AM   #18

But I can't open up my pop-up in a Wal-Mart Parking lot!!! Guess we will just have to stick with the public campgrounds. Next Monday we will pull into a public campground in Newport News, VA for a couple of weeks (work/family visit). Supposed to run about $20 per night, hope they don't charge us for the extra truck. That's about what we try to spend for a night ($15 - $20 including all hookups & taxes). I have yet to see the higher priced private campgrounds give me the same value as the public campgrounds. We figure since we provide our own "rooms" and only use water/electric/sewer and the bathhouse then we shouldn't need to pay over $20 per night and would prefer to pay way less (particularly when not in a high traffic tourist area like Newport News/Williamsburg, Pigeon Forge or FL). But that's my opinion. And our budget.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorna:
But I can't open up my pop-up in a Wal-Mart Parking lot!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you tried?
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:14 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lorna:
But I can't open up my pop-up in a Wal-Mart Parking lot!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You wouldn't be the first to do it!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:16 AM   #21

Bottom line is that you can stay elsewheres if you dont like the extra charges. Besides the campground owners addl cost for addl people or services, they may be discouraging RVs that have extra people in them. Kids generate extra noise and trash and dogs are a continuing problem in campgrounds. Both are the result of irresponsible adults/owners. The above is the feedback that I get from many of these owners.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:43 AM   #22

I agree, if you don't like it stay somewhere else. As for campground owners who impose extra fees to controll the number of people in a camper, then do what others do and limit the number of people per site. I ussually see a limit of 6 per site. Kids do not generate any more noise than does my noisey stinky diesel truck, so should I pay extra for pulling into the campground with a diesel truck. My opinion is that a public campground that has a problem with kids and pets should not be a public campground. As for irresponsible parents/owners, they will only get away with what they are allowed to. Campgrounds should be more dilligent in enforcing the rules and camping etiquete or ask them to leave. I would be curious to hear from some campground owners their thoughts on these extra fees. It seems the campers are split on the issue. Some don't like it at all, others don't seem to mind or agree with it.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #23

My biggest complaint about the add on fees is that they are a surprise saved up for check in time. Most campground websites don't even mention the additional fees. Of course these are the same folks who are unable to answer their e-mails.

BTW, PUBLIC campgrounds are campgrounds that are owned by the public (Federal, National, BLM, State, County, City, Corps of Engineers). PRIVATE campgrounds are owned and operated as a business. We support our Public campgrounds! Going to one on Monday!
Old 09-10-2004, 06:18 AM   #24

I am 100% with Lorna on this one, I agree that a campground can charge what the market will bear but they should be UP FRONT about it and not advertise one rate and then "spring" the extras after you've travelled miles and miles to get there and are checking in! The last time it happened to us, the office attendant simply said: "Everybody does it!" On that point, I beg to differ.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:44 AM   #25

I agree with charging more for kids or more people. I feel camping is for a peaceful getaway, more people means less peace in some way, whether I have to see you on a trail or hear your kids in the morning. Either way, I hope they begin to charge more and more for children in CG's.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper_2:
I agree with charging more for kids or more people. I feel camping is for a peaceful getaway, more people means less peace in some way, whether I have to see you on a trail or hear your kids in the morning. Either way, I hope they begin to charge more and more for children in CG's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
...and I'll bet you don't have kids, right?

Your post is rather strong ...wouldn't it be nice to think of other people too?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 04:41 AM   #27

Viper2:

Got a great spot for you, betwen Parker and Quatzsite AZ, just pull into the desert and I'll guarantee no kids, no people for that matter!!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:29 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Viper_2:
I agree with charging more for kids or more people. I feel camping is for a peaceful getaway, more people means less peace in some way, whether I have to see you on a trail or hear your kids in the morning. Either way, I hope they begin to charge more and more for children in CG's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you find your little slice of heaven all by yourself. As for me, I will continue to camp with my family and enjoy every minute of it. I really enjoy the fact that more and more families are camping. It makes for one of the best bonding times for us. I have met a lot of great people, including kids, while camping. If the campgrounds do go that route and push away the family campers because people don't want to deal with kids, then who will be in their campground years from now? NO ONE, because they will have alianated our children and they would never have experianced camping! By the way, did your parents ever take you camping? Not asking in a mean spirited way, just curious.