Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #29

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick A:
...did your parents ever take you camping? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Rick, I know that you posed this question to Viper_2, but I think that it is a good question to ask to all those reading this. I think that "Family Campers" need to speak up and just answer this one question in how it applies to them. Here's my answer:

Yes my parents took me camping--alot. My childhood camping experience left a long-lasting desire to give the same experience to my own children. Now I have two children, ages 4 and 6 who love camping. The mere mention of the word "camping" sends both my children into jumping for joy.

George

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2004, 04:30 AM   #30

I was a late accident so never did much of anything with my parents who were well into late middle age by the time I reached my teens!

We sure did it differently with our four kids, trying to get involved with anything they did and involving them in anything we did, including travel and camping.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #31

Hi,

I have to agree that sometimes it's been overly expensive to pay for my kids-I have 3. If they are charging $2-4 extra on top of $35-47 a night, it gets pricey(NY campgrounds that are privately owned aren't cheap). I had to pay $4 extra for my daughter when she was 4 months old-how much of the campground was she truly using? Plus pay showers too. We don't go to ones like that much unless it's a top notch one and more resort like.

One thing I have noticed in 19 years of camping and being in the tourism industry, hotel chains have largely been doing away with charging per child-offering kids stay free programs. Campground owners have gone the opposite way in the last 6-8 years. I can at times get a hotel room cheaper than a campgsite. Would I? Probably only if stopping over night.

I understand that campgrounds need to keep cash flow. But the reason a lot of families like myself do go camping is that it's affordable vacation time for us. I can't afford to fly 5 people, pay for a car rental, food, and hotel for 14 days. I can in my trailer.
But if they nickel and dime campers, they'll find themselves without campers to camp there. I think more people would chose to stay at a campground that doesn't charge fees for immediate family members, than one that tacks on an extra $12 a night. I ran into a couple that have had limits on how many you can have per site-4 only. Hmmm, now that's a place I can't go since I'd have to leave a child behind.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Let's remember that private campgrounds are a money making business. They will charge what they can but you are the consumer and will ultimately decide their fate. If they charge too much, their business might fail OR appeal to only certain consumers. I do agree that all charges should be up front. Since they aren't I guess if I were concerned than I would ask when making my reservation. Hopefully there will continue to be a variety of campgrounds that suit many different people. We are pretty easy going so not too much bothers us.
My parents weren't campers but I did camp in the back yard with my friends. We camped with our children and now they are campers. They are still young enough to only be able to afford tents. We still camp with them and hopefully some time in the future we will have grandchildren to camp with.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:22 PM   #33

I do love how Yogi Bear in NH charges for the use of the SPA per minute and also a surcharge if your planing on using The AC..

04.5 2500 Dodge Ram quadcab 4x4 Turbo Diesel.
John & Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:23 PM   #34

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynnvt:
Let's remember that private campgrounds are a money making business...I do agree that all charges should be up front... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Lynnvt:

I have no problem with them making a profit. But most of the time they do not list in the campground directories the "extra" charges they tack on. Sometimes it's not well into the check-in process that they spring the extra charges. They know you are at their mercy, there's a camper parked out front with a two or three tired kids and a mom. And some areas the next campground is miles away.

They need to list the charges in the Trailer Life Campground directory and Woodall's Guide. I complained in writing three years ago. Still no change. If they did, I could make an informed decision without stopping or making a bunch of calls.

The extra charges are one of the main reasons we avoid KOA's. But at least I know walking in the door they will charge extra for the kids .

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 PM   #35

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynnvt:
Let's remember that private campgrounds are a money making business. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lynn, I agree with this statement. I think that an ethical businessman will post his pricing policy in a public and most conspicuous manner.

I think that the full knowledge of fees is most important to folks who plan group campouts, rallys, and vacation travel. Whereas, the individual family has the option to turn around and leave.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 08:42 AM   #36

It is really strange,you hear Tom Selleck on TV saying go RVING talking up families and good times,and as soon as the families start enjoying it as per the TV ads,now they want to through having kids back in your face,charge more for CHILDREN are you serious?
Maybe we should take the kids to a kennell until we get back.Man I have heard it all now.

1993 Prowler 29R TT
Dodgeboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:13 AM   #37

You all know by now ,thru years of camping that this is getting more common,just ask if they charge extra and you will get your answer.If it does not suit your needs ,another campground will.On to more camping

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #38

Viper_2,

How does the campground charging more for the kids/dogs help you? Do you get a refund for only having 1 or 2 people on your site, there by helping to keep the campground quiet?

Quiet, I can't hear my self think.....
Old 09-23-2004, 03:25 PM   #39

The term what ever the market will bear comes to mind. We stay at several diff. sites here in N.E. every summer/Fall and they are all the same x$ for up to four people and so much each after that. We take advantage of it and invite other couples to come with us and pitch a tent for them at no extra cost. During bike week in NH this works out really great as we get preferred cust. rates and allways invite friends. The campground likes the new blood we bring who many times come back on there own and tell thier friends how nice every one is. Word of mouth is the best seller of a place! We are repete cust. and are treated as such. The campgrounds around resorts dont care if you come back and price accordingly. I guess what I am trying to say is not all campgrounds gouge look for the good ones and tell your friends. Scotty.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #40

I just did a random lookup in the Woodall's directory. About 80% of the listings reflect the price is based on two people. The remainder state either four people or price per family. Since this info is readily available, why don't you check out the policy before you book. Most business's that I know of, movies, fast food, etc. charge by the person or what was used. Pay as you go.
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:47 PM   #41

This is just a guess..... perhaps the RV parks charge more for kids because there is an increase in the potential for accidents resulting in increased liability or insurance fees for them.

After spending the last 3 months in an RV park on the Pacific coast, I watched, daily, little ones running or riding their bikes/scooters down the streets as motorhomes and trailers moved in and out of their spaces. I saw so many near miss accidents that it made me nervous to look out the window.

Of course, this could be eliminated or reduced by better parental supervision, which seemed very minimal in many of the situations I observed. I'm sure most of us on this forum don't let our kids (my grandkids) run wild at the campgrounds, but many people do.

But the bottom line is... if a child is injured, regardless of who's fault it is... the park can be sued.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #42

We have it in our rules to chagre for extra kids but very seldom do. But we have had a couple check in the the next day 6 kids showed up and terrorized the park. Now we have a way to combat bad parents who do not watch the kids.

Apple Hill RV Park Brookings Oregon
Scott and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote