Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2014, 03:51 PM   #43
Fact: OP made a reservation
Fact: OP made a mistake and admits to it.
Fact: A business transaction took place when the check was mailed
Fact: Cancellation policy was in place but OP did not know or realize, but still entered into a legal contract.
Fact: The only legal way to get out of this contract is to negotiate, which is not always possible.
Fact: We heard one side of the story not the other.

Many CG's have cancellation policies in place for long weekends to keep campers from making multiple bookings and then pick the spot that suits them the best which certainly has happened.
I find it usually works best to admit to have made a mistake and then try to find a solution together. It does not always work but you never want to slam the door from the get go whether as a customer/client nor as a business owner.
Edit: When an error occurs it is often better to pick up the phone than firing an email, even though a verbal conversation can end in a 'he said she said' situation.

2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:07 PM   #44
When we were in the lodging business for 10 years, you would not believe how many times people lied and threatened about last minute cancellations. It is very easy to become jaded about it. We ended up losing thousands of dollars for the times we had empty rooms and turned away others holding it for a reservation. It is a two way street. I can see both side. What is best for everybody is to try and rerent the slot and everybody is happy. What helps this is time between cancellation and the actual date of the stay. The credit card companies are usually the final arbitrator here and if there are written policies and phone records, the merchant will usually prevail. I would frequently discount the slot by 25% and just eat the loss. Most of us here on this board are honest, but unfortunately there are a lot of dishonest folks out there. There is a moral responsibility to not shaft a small businessman because of an accident or poor planing on our part.

Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:27 PM   #45
Speaking up for the campground owners (I am not an owner or an investor): While traveling we often change our plans and decide to leave a location a day or two early...usually we just ran out of things to do and wish to move on, sometimes it is the weather, anyway, I will notify the desk of early checkout, and tell them they can release my spot to others if they wish. More often than not I am offered a refund or a credit for unused days. I do not ask for a refund, but when offered I gladly except the good will gesture. If the refund is not offered or I am told it is out of policy, I accept this and just add it to my cost of RVing. I'm having too much fun traveling on vacations to let little things ruin my day.
For the most part I find campground owners and managers gracious and helpful.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #46
I feel it is unethical to just cancel the check and basically say screw it.
A site was requested, the owner met that request. I know every campground I have gone to had the refund policy on the website and many have stated the policy when on the phone. To renege on this simply because the person making the reservation made the mistake and leave the campground hanging is inappropriate.
Would it be nice if they worked with the client to find a mutual agreement, sure. But it wasn't the case, so maybe just move on. I realize the op was mostly just venting and that's fine, not the first won't be the last.
To me, some of the suggestions on here are just plain wrong and borderline illegal. I always teach my kids when they are wrong to suck it up, admit it and face whatever the consequences may be.
Meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Stop payment on the check and let him spent the money to sue you....Sure he will.
Chuck in SW FL
A "Classic" 2014 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:19 PM   #48
check the web. site again. if it says no refunds, or they told you up front then just be a man and accept your mistake. don't sell your ethics or integrity for a few measly dollars. you'll feel better afterwards and be better for it. life's to short to crawl.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:29 PM   #49
Mailing the check is not a business transaction. Until the check is recieved and cashed, it is not a complete transaction. This is my opinion and worth what you paid for it.
Jim and Darlene Wright
plus Ryder, the Ethiopian
monkeybeaver dog
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:32 PM   #50
I would tell the wife to change plans.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #51
Entegra Owners Club
Try getting a refund for an airline ticket and see how you make out. If they can sell non-refundable airline seats, why can't the campground owner sell non-refundable camping spaces? I agree with the guy who said "business owners have rights too".

It would be nice if the campground offered a refund, but it is not an obligation for them to do so. Life is too short to simmer over this. Forget about it.
Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 AM   #52
Thor Owners Club
Until the cheque is received has the "contract" been completed? No money has changed hands yet, just a verbal contract. And a CG that cant rent a spot for July 4th? I doubt it. That's not reasonable. Especially if its months away. That being said if I change my reservation a week out I don't expect to get my refund which is usually the value of one night. We have cancelled 3 months out and never had a CG operator refuse to refund.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #53
Lori offered excellent advice.
As to stopping pmt., if the CG owner does present it to a court, the court fees can easily be over $300 if you lose. That is non-contestable and failure to pay will result in criminal charges.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #54
Tiffin Owners Club
Making a mistake typically isn't fun. I hate when it happens. I've found that taking the quickest path to get over it is usually the best method for peace and tranquility.

As for me, I'd be sure I understood the cancelation policies in the future. Spending money for nothing is very frustrating as with this matter, but might provide value as a "lesson learned."
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #55
When you win in court, you do not get the money, you get a judgement. Collection a judgement can be almost impossible to collect. I have several against some tenants of rental houses I owned. If they don't have the money, you can not get blood from a turnip.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:19 PM   #56
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Until the cheque is received has the "contract" been completed? No money has changed hands yet, just a verbal contract.

This position leaves me wondering how we'd feel if the CG decided to renege on their side of this "verbal" contract?

Say.....You make a phone reservation in "good faith" .....sent your cheque by mail ......only to find the CG had decided they like someone else better and since money had not changed hands ......decided they had no obligation to honour their verbal agreement with you .....and gave what you thought was your reservation/space to someone else.....would this be OK?

Good for the goose....good for the gander?

Jack & Maggie
04-Rexhall Roseair (37)
Cummins ISC / Spartan
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

campground, fuse