Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 03:58 AM   #1

Campground refuses to reimburse fee

In September I booked a five day stay at Endless Caverns Campground. Found out we could leave early so I called on 10/19 and changed our arrival from 10/22 to 10/20. Packed the Moho and all ready to go. On the 20th woke with severe hip pain. Went to Doctor , he scheduled a MRI and a epidural ASAP.

Now I realize after the fact that the campground has a 48 hour cancellation policy and no amount of pleading would change that policy even tho it was a act of God and neither of us had any control of the medical emergency. As many of you know any rule or policy can be changed or bent.
They did offer to move my stay to anytime before Nov 16. That's when they close for the season. However due to the treatment scheduled I could not say whether I could be there before the 16th or not.

I only cancelled because of the pain I was enduring. I know I should have read the whole website and the details of cancellation. Once more it was only because of the medical emergency, I offered to send the MRI form as prof and was told they did not have a fax machine??????

Because of their steadfast policy, I will not receive 208.25 refund, nor will I be booking at this campground ever again. i will read the conditions of refunds anytime i book a stay.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 05:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So you're mad they stuck to their policy? Are you mad they offered to allow you change the dates, which goes against their normal practices? Are you mad YOU didn't read the cancellation policy? Which one is it?

It sucks you had a problem, and I hope you feel better, but the campground did nothing wrong. To give their name out like they are a bad business is wrong. By your post, it appears they went out of their way to accomodate you.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
So you're mad they stuck to their policy? Are you mad they offered to allow you change the dates, which goes against their normal practices? Are you mad YOU didn't read the cancellation policy? Which one is it?

It sucks you had a problem, and I hope you feel better, but the campground did nothing wrong. To give their name out like they are a bad business is wrong. By your post, it appears they went out of their way to accomodate you.

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #4

Not Mad

Brian am more frustrated that they would not make a concession for a medical problem.
What they did wrong was not making an exception for a problem that I could not control. I posted this so others would know that they enforce their policy regardless of circumstance.
I purchased the cancellation insurance but what was the sticking point is the 48 hour rule. This is a corporate owned campground and does not have the compassion of a independent owner. They have a right to do anything they wish in any circumstance. As a consumer, I have the right to camp where I like.
Thanks for your reply.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I agree the RV park can adhere to its stated policy on refunds, it does seem a bit extreme that that would keep the entire amount in the case of a cancellation. Perhaps a $50 penalty for a cancellation or something like that.

Or, if in this case the camper can't know if they can come before the November closing date, book a credit for next season.

In any case, sorry for your medical issue and hoping you feel better soon.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #6

Cancellation insurance?? Isn't that like doggy dentures? Just kidding....we all hope you are doing better.
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If that campground doesn't rent the site they are out money. Policy is there for a reason. Ive lost money on plane tickets and other things, part of the game. Its just business
Old 10-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #8

I made a reservation long in advance, paid full amount thinking my plans were fixed, and then tried to cancel long in advance when the situation changed. The campground stuck by its no cash refund policy, but offered a one year credit that did us no good as they were 1600 miles from home. What I learned is that nothing is carved in stone and to never pay any more than a deposit in advance. I got lucky and found someone to buy my week at full price and the campground was accommodating in that regard.
On the other side of that, we had a campground bend its no onsite mechanical repairs policy for us while we waited almost 2 weeks for a new axle.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
If that campground doesn't rent the site they are out money. Policy is there for a reason. Ive lost money on plane tickets and other things, part of the game. Its just business
mojoracing
That is correct.
However if that campground does rent the site they make DOUBLE the $$!

"No refund cancellation policies" are, (like most everything RV), all about the $$, (NOT about the customer).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My question is, how do they know it's really a medical reason and not that you just desired to change your schedule because you woke up mad one day. There is no way for them to know so the rule is enforced in all cases equally. JMHO
Old 10-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #11

They could be a seasonal camp ground and have to make money to survive when they are closed...

It really isn't any concern of theirs that you had to cancel other than you cancelled..

Hope you get better soon..being sick sucks..

grassy
Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think they should have offered to refund your money IF you would provide a letter from your doctor confirming the circumstances!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 AM   #13

I feel for you. I am dealing with back issues and am looking at surgery in January. The problem is, that's there policy. "An act of God" has been used, and abused quite frequently. The easiest thing for them to do is stick to their policy. It sounds like they tried to cut you a break and let you reschedule as long as it was within this season. So, they were willing to make an exception for you, just not the exception you wanted. I have been in situations where once you open the door one time, everybody expects their situation to warrant an exception. My coach broke and I couldn't control that. My wife got pregnant and....... well maybe I had something to do with that . Seriously though, I feel for you. I already have reservations for next October in TN. I made them in June, just to get the spot we wanted. It's a gamble we all have to take.

I hope your medical issues are resolved during the off season.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I truly believe that when you make a policy you should stick to it otherwise don't make a policy. The campground did nothing wrong. I also feel you have the right to boycott that establishment for whatever reason, that is the beauty of capitalism. Hope you feel better soon and get out and enjoy other campgrounds.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground, fuse