Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #15

Another reason to set up the rig for boondocking!

Roy

HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM   #16

As cb5300 said, we can make a difference by taking our money elsewhere. Now I just have to remember to ask about additional "fees" before registering. KOA began this practice many years ago, and now the rest of the industry is following.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
For that much money, I can stay at Oceano Elks for a week and walk the block to the beach. No fees for drop off and you can hear the ocean at night
Agree a good spot for a lot less money. But not near the kid. Maybe need to get the kid to move.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have some local RV Parks that charge a bed tax, I wonder if the resort fee is a tax? The bed tax is imposed by the City or County and the RV Park collects and passes it on. If I know in advance that the Park has to charge the bed tax, I don't stay there.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
The nice thing about the RV lifestyle is if you feel you are getting ripped off get in your RV and move on, if these nickel/dime campground owners see enough of us objecting to these charges and actually leaving their campground they should wake up
Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I must be missing something. Are not the fees listed when making a reservation ? and when looking on line for a resort? All resorts that I look at has all their fees listed? The brochures that I picked up @ the Mpls Mh show had lists of there charges. Are most just pulling in off the road, and then they add these fee's?
Please Explain,
Not meant to offend anyone.
Thanks,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:54 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I must be missing something. Are not the fees listed when making a reservation ? and when looking on line for a resort? All resorts that I look at has all their fees listed? The brochures that I picked up @ the Mpls Mh show had lists of there charges. Are most just pulling in off the road, and then they add these fee's?
Please Explain,
Not meant to offend anyone.
Thanks,
Tim
We find that more and more camp-ground hit you with add-ons once you arrive. That was why I started this thread.

Here is just one organisation who's camp-grounds will charge you about twice "the agreed price". Coast to Coast is an organisation where you have to pay an original joining fee and hereafter a yearly subscription applies. For this you get to stay at membership camp-ground for $10 per night. At least that's how it used to work. Now they will charge you all sorts of extra fees once you arrive, and often that will double the price. This is what I am not a big fan of.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
laj

and what happens if you ask up front when booking if that's the total fee?
i'm not a fan of having to ask about every little detail just wondering if they try to get by with slipping it in at the last min. the only extra fees i have seen listed are: pets, 50 amp, and extra people or vehicles. i don't mind charging extra for what not everyone wants or needs but they shouldn't be afraid to list them up front and easily seen.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds to me like False Advertisement or Bait and switch. If their brochure states one price for X number of services then that is what you should get I'm sure there are resort owners on this site that can offer there side of it.
Personally I would demand the price that is listed before all there add on's.
Then post a thread about the resort on these web sites and it will catch on. I for one have not had this happen to us. "Yet"
Thanks you for the enlightenment.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Resort Fee" May (Or may not) be the campground's fault.. Many places like to TAX TAX TAX (I am talking cities, counitys and other goernment places) and of course if we TAX those rich RV owners who are just passing through our poor voters will love us.

As for the rest of the fees you listed:

Why do you think they call the nation's largest chain of campground KOA.. It means Keep On Adding (of course) not what they think it means.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I would not pay a "resort fee." If the base prices are reasonable, I do not mind paying extra for electricity, or 50 amp service, because if I want to save money, I can control how much electricity I use or whether I want 50 amp. This is the main reason for charging extra for electricity because some people are power hogs. The place I am staying now only charges for electricity over 1000 kwh per month. I didn't use that much electricity in my sticks and bricks so I have no problem with that. I have no problem telling "resort" owners no thanks when they want to tack on extra fees.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
We find that more and more camp-ground hit you with add-ons once you arrive. That was why I started this thread.

Here is just one organisation who's camp-grounds will charge you about twice "the agreed price". Coast to Coast is an organisation where you have to pay an original joining fee and hereafter a yearly subscription applies. For this you get to stay at membership camp-ground for $10 per night. At least that's how it used to work. Now they will charge you all sorts of extra fees once you arrive, and often that will double the price. This is what I am not a big fan of.
With C2C you have to book in advance. If you are booking through "tripsetter" you know exactly what it will cost.
If you have Premier membership and stay at a "free" CG then you might have extra charges, like WIFI, 50 amp.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #27

I just booked a couple of nights at the Paris in Vegas and they charge a $20 Resort Fee. Looked it up and here is some info:

Las Vegas Resort Fees: The 2014 Guide || VegasChatter

Have not experienced this in any RV park I have been in.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #28

Actually there is another side to the add on fees. In many states such as Florida, there is a bed tax, it is often depending on local government, a 10% tax on the overnight fee. If all the add on fees were bundled into the overnight rate, you would be paying 10% on top of those fees as well as the simple overnight fee.

Granted, some campgrounds are anal about visitors, more people than two on a site, a second car fee, and other such nonsense. Those are the extra fees I find petty and objectionable.

Tags
campground