Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So with you socialization observations have you ever thought of taking over where Jane Goodall left off? Wow, rv-ing since 2007 no wonder you have seen it ALL. As a full timer maybe you need to spend less time in the east.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #30

Jayco Owners Club
I mostly go to RV Parks because camp sites usually do not have full hookups. However, that's the ONLY reason. I find folks very nice in either. My last night in a camp site I was offered firewood by some tent campers. I ran out of charcoal and was about to go out and get some. Another group heard me talking to my son and they saved me trip by offering me some charcoal... Go figure...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I am really sorry that I might have offended anyone, but I am entitled to my opinion. These are my impressions (how many times must I state this?) and they are not meant to offend or alienate anyone. Get some thicker skin if you find my comments offensive to you. More people are put off by my rv, but, hey, I worked my tush off building a business for the last 28 years. If you are a worker, then don't be pissed at me. Take the chance I did and work the months without a single day off, including weekends. Without getting paid. (I'm sure this will stir the pot)

I will repeat this for the last time: I did not post this to seem elitist. In the current campground I am at just north of Burlington, VT, most license plates are local. My impression: Campgrounds are mostly locals, RV Parks are for travelers.

And by the way, I have lived in New York for most of my life and this is actually my first trip on the East Coast. Probably my last. I winter in Daytona because my children are there but I much prefer traveling out West.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
No offense taken here. The DW and I have been having a very similar discussion the last few times out. We saw a difference at the different CG's and RV parks. Could it be just an age factor?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Old 08-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #33

Yep!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #34

Carolina Campers
There are good friendly folks that love camping in all economic levels, then there are those that set themselves up to be somehow at a higher plain than those that do not fit their level of income or economic status, or what they think to be sophistication. I find those that set them self to be above those common folks to be what I call "snobbish".

Those that are not in that snobbish group tend to be far more accepting of others. They would be far more willing to help out the person "camped" next to them. They are far more likely to invite you over for a bacon breakfast. Offer you a beer. Be downright happy, good folks, with a genuine kind heart. They would be willing to give you their shirt off their back.

The more "sophisticated" people seem to loose a seance of kindness. They can't seem to accept others just where they are. That hold up a standard and discount those that don't meet their standard. That is what I think of when I think some one is being a snob.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My limited experience with RV parks is that they are largely composed of retired people who worked all their lives, are now enjoying the fruits of their labors, and for the most part have little or no financial stress. They're happy. They socialize more.
Campgrounds tend to be full of young families trying to raise kids and make ends meet in a world with an uncertain financial future, while still providing a quality family life. Things are very different now than they were forty or fifty years ago when you could work 30 years for the same company, the company was loyal to it's workers and workers were loyal to the company. I can understand why they keep to themselves. They have other concerns.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I was trying to say that but unfortunately, some people took offense when none was intended.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #37

Semantics: Campground, RV Park, RV Resort, RV community. RV, motorhome, Winnebago (often used as a generic term), motorcoach.
Call it whatever you wish, just enjoy.
Happy Trails.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #38

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
My limited experience with RV parks is that they are largely composed of retired people who worked all their lives, are now enjoying the fruits of their labors, and for the most part have little or no financial stress. They're happy. They socialize more.
Campgrounds tend to be full of young families trying to raise kids and make ends meet in a world with an uncertain financial future, while still providing a quality family life. Things are very different now than they were forty or fifty years ago when you could work 30 years for the same company, the company was loyal to it's workers and workers were loyal to the company. I can understand why they keep to themselves. They have other concerns.
I also find that there are a lot of retired people that worked all their lives, and enjoying the fruits of their labors, have little or no financial stress. They do enjoy socializing with older retired people that have worked all their lives and enjoying the fruits of their labors and have little or no financial stress.

On the other hand, they don't seem to have any patience for others that have children. They look down on those that do have financial stress. They find those that don't fit into their age group or economic status as unacceptable. It is like they forgot what it was like when they started out in life. They forget what it was like to be under financial stress. They forgot what it was like to have a small kid or five. They complain about younger folks, they think that kids are little more than a troublesome nuisance.

I am glad that we love to go to the crowded campgrounds or the serine or quiet RV parks (even though I have found the same situations in both RV parks and campgrounds). We love to have all those young families with kids, as well as many older retired folks that truly love life and are happy to extend their hand to everyone.

After retiring, I am glad that we have not turned into grumpy old folks that want to only socialize with other old grumpy folks. Maybe it helps having eight grandkids around all the time. We love going camping with their families. Yes, some of them can only afford a tent for camping, but they have as much fun camping as we do in our RV.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I camp, I travel, I stay in RV parks , I stay in dry campgrounds , I boondock. I do whatever I need I feel like I want to do. I'm a RV'er !
I'm with YOU on this! A little of everything makes for a better experience for some of us.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think you are right that there are different styles of RVing, and that "camping" vs "traveling" is one convenient way of describing it. I just can't agree the the sign out front, i.e. Campground vs RV Park is in any way indicative of the prevalent style in that park. Or even that there is a prevalent style among the guests there.
I agree with this. No two places are alike, be they RV resorts or CGs.

Quote:
I'm staying in an "RV Resort" right now. Probably half the people here are staying 2 months or more, many of them all season. The other half come and go, staying a few nights or maybe a week. Some of the seasonal people are just enjoying themselves, while others work in the area for the summer.
We'll be staying at a Resort in the ONF this winter. Silver Springs will be the closest town. It has a WalMart and that's all we need.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
More people are put off by my rv, but, hey, I worked my tush off.......
I'm trying to understand why they would be "put off" by your RV. What do you mean by "put off?" I never met anyone in a CG or Resort that was put off by a MH of any size. Why would anyone care? A MH is an inanimate object. I have been, as have others, been put off by those who own some of these large MHs. But then I've been put off buy some really trashy tent campers also. So I don't know what you mean by your RV putting some people off.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I'm trying to understand why they would be "put off" by your RV. What do you mean by "put off?" I never met anyone in a CG or Resort that was put off by a MH of any size. Why would anyone care? A MH is an inanimate object. I have been, as have others, been put off by those who own some of these large MHs. But then I've been put off buy some really trashy tent campers also. So I don't know what you mean by your RV putting some people off.
I was wondering the same thing as well. It's a nice rig and all. but not all that uncommon. NOt as uncommon as a Newell or a Prevost.
Closed Thread

Tags
campground