Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
SIGH!

The OP made an observation. Each of us has our own "observations" that we carry and if we say we don't, we are lying.

Any one that thinks all RVers live in a state of bliss and believes all RVers/campers are all respecting of all others...wake up. LOL

The facts are that people are...well...people and RVers are people. That simply means we are a microcosm of the rat race we sometimes seem to think we have separated ourselves from. I mean, come on, how many times have I seen folks talk about getting a Prevost and having others brand them as elitists in some way or another? It is my OBSERVATION that when it occurs some (not all) folks come out of the woodwork criticizing how the person wants to spend their money and saying they wouldn't do that and done in such a way I OBSERVE to be judgmental of the person looking at a Prevost.

To attack the OP (yes it was done and posts removed for that) for saying something based on their observations is like attacking someone for saying they observe that truckers don't like RVers. All of us base our opinions on what we observe whether we like what we see or not. Those of you with different experiences (observations) will have a different opinion but I would hope you would be respected for tossing your different observations/opinions out for reasonable debate.

So, let's just keep tossing insults at each other to prove we are NOT creatures of observation...how is that working for you now? Does this make us smarter and feel better? I hope not.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I'm trying to understand why they would be "put off" by your RV. What do you mean by "put off?" I never met anyone in a CG or Resort that was put off by a MH of any size. Why would anyone care? A MH is an inanimate object. I have been, as have others, been put off by those who own some of these large MHs. But then I've been put off buy some really trashy tent campers also. So I don't know what you mean by your RV putting some people off.
IMHO, it is naive to say folks aren't put off my inanimate objects. That is like saying folks don't form opinions of others based on the clothes they wear. Clothes are inanimate objects ergo we shouldn't pay any attention to the manner another person dresses themselves. That ain't gonna happen.

It would be hard to believe that tenters might not be put off by a big rig rumbling into their turf. Certainly not all of them but some would.

There are RV CG/Resorts that have various restrictions on clientele. Some only allow Class A MHs as an example. I am certain that the clientele would be put off by an inanimate object that didn't meet their expectations of what their neighbors would move next to them.

So, it would be marvelous if everyone didn't base actions on the wrappers we come with, be they clothes, tents, trailers or MHs. The simple fact is that we continually observe what is going on around us and make judgments based on our experiences, prejudices, and observations. NONE of us can walk away from that fact because it is basic human nature. The best of us simply are able to shrug off initial impressions and dig a bit deeper before formulating a final opinion based more on current events vs old observations.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #45
laj

it's just like buying a candy bar. after buying a few you observe and experience what is inside a particular wrapper. the wrapper just saves you time finding what you want. not everyone wants to be with every type of person, doesn't necessarily make that person bad, just not the flavor one may want.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If I promise not to be snobish can I "PLEASE" get a Newell or a Provost.-O- Please
Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #47

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
If I promise not to be snobish can I "PLEASE" get a Newell or a Provost.-O- Please
Yes, go right ahead and get one. You may not have any money left for fuel, but so what, at least you can "put off" others when you say; "Mine is bigger than yours".
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #48

I have seen some threads go off on tangents before without much reason, but this one has to top them all. The OP made a simple observation on what he thought was the reasoning people used in choosing where to park. Nothing derogatory about anybody.

In my 45 years of traveling (non motel) I have been in all categories, from backpack, car camp, popup, TT, 5'er, gaser, pusher, and have each of them next near me. I've even stayed at an RV resort a time or two when convenience or availability were major issues!

For me, the farther away from hookups, the better. But, that's just me. I don't get "put off" by 45 footer or a pup tent being next to me and if anyone is put off by my equipment, they have the problem, not me!

Time to get on with life!

H

Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
That's why they call them "discussion forums"....

We are not usually concerned about the type of rv's around us or what they 'call' the park....

we are usually with a group which lessens the concern about the rv's around us !

and we usually set the tone by 'passing a good time' within reason and so we are more the thermostat rather than the thermometer
Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
There are good friendly folks that love camping in all economic levels, then there are those that set themselves up to be somehow at a higher plain than those that do not fit their level of income or economic status, or what they think to be sophistication. I find those that set them self to be above those common folks to be what I call "snobbish".

Those that are not in that snobbish group tend to be far more accepting of others. They would be far more willing to help out the person "camped" next to them. They are far more likely to invite you over for a bacon breakfast. Offer you a beer. Be downright happy, good folks, with a genuine kind heart. They would be willing to give you their shirt off their back.

The more "sophisticated" people seem to loose a seance of kindness. They can't seem to accept others just where they are. That hold up a standard and discount those that don't meet their standard. That is what I think of when I think some one is being a snob.
I've never met a snob. Maybe because they don't exist in my life. This whole thread is really depressing. I don't know now about talking to strangers because there is so much criticism thrown at a fellow RVer who only chose to start a simple conversation or just share his thoughts to his peers, never expecting to be so harshly spoken to. Now, how much will I be chastised for my thoughts? Give it your best, I can take it.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
SIGH!

The OP made an observation. Each of us has our own "observations" that we carry and if we say we don't, we are lying.
But that doesn't answer the questions of why anyone would be "put off" by his rig, my rig or your rig - unless the rig was a filthy beat up old mess. Sheets hung across the windows and torn screens. You know what type RV I mean. I can see some people being envious of a large expensive rig - but put off by it? Perhaps he used the wrong expression. Some people would envy those in a $1000 popup or a $10,000 TT.
What really puts people off are any inconsiderate RVer who runs their generator after hours or pulls into a rest area or WalMart lot, parks right next to silent rigs with everyone asleep... and makes sure he wakes them up and gasses them with his diesel engine, then his (or her) running generator. A big MH simply pulling into a CG/Resort spot next to someone in a smaller cheaper rig isn't going to be "put off" by the owner parking it there. Talk about human nature....

Quote:
Any one that thinks all RVers live in a state of bliss and believes all RVers/campers are all respecting of all others...wake up. LOL
Agreed. Every single time someone pulled in next to us silent sleeping RVers at rest stops, truck stops or WallyWorlds - they were in large MHs. So some of us do form opinions about just what kind of person buys these large behemoths. But human nature being what it is, we also realize not all of them think they're better than everyone else. That those who either don't have generators or choose not to run them, deserve to be woken up in the middle of the night to their noise and stench. They might as well open their RV window and start screaming "LOOK AT ME" for the attention they crave.

Quote:
The facts are that people are...well...people and RVers are people. That simply means we are a microcosm of the rat race we sometimes seem to think we have separated ourselves from. I mean, come on, how many times have I seen folks talk about getting a Prevost and having others brand them as elitists in some way or another?
How would they know what others are thinking of them? Branding them? I'm sure the other campers don't walk up to them and tell them they think their elitists. This is all in their minds. If anyone thinks these people are elitists it's because of how these people ACT and TREAT the other campers, not because they have an RV costing a small fortune. And yes, I have seen these people with huge MHs act like snobs and elitists by ignoring other camper's waves or pleasant comments to them. But I have also seen people in older TTs and other types of RVs do the same. I think some of these MH owners want to believe others see them as elitists. It somehow feeds their ego when the truth is, 99.9% of the other people in the CG/Resort couldn't care less what they drove in with.

Quote:
It is my OBSERVATION that when it occurs some (not all) folks come out of the woodwork criticizing how the person wants to spend their money and saying they wouldn't do that and done in such a way I OBSERVE to be judgmental of the person looking at a Prevost.
You will find people who would say the same be the inanimate object a mink coat, a heavy double gold chain, a $5000 stereo system, on and on and on..... these people are not "put off" by these items, they simply have no desire to own them or can't afford them if they did.

Quote:
To attack the OP (yes it was done and posts removed for that) for saying something based on their observations is like attacking someone for saying they observe that truckers don't like RVers. All of us base our opinions on what we observe whether we like what we see or not. Those of you with different experiences (observations) will have a different opinion but I would hope you would be respected for tossing your different observations/opinions out for reasonable debate.
For the OPs own sake, if he feels people are treating him differently because his RV is unusually large and expensive, perhaps he needs to make more of an effort to be friendly. To wave at the other campers. To make small talk with some of them. To ask them about THEIR rigs. To comment favorably on their children, their dog or even their grill or the weather. The other campers/RVers, if they do think he may be elitist (which I doubt) will see that he may drive a mucho expensive rig but that he indeed puts his pants on one leg at a time as they do.

Quote:
So, let's just keep tossing insults at each other to prove we are NOT creatures of observation...how is that working for you now? Does this make us smarter and feel better? I hope not.
I'll tell you what "put me off" on one of these RV forums.. it was the guy who came on and asked other Class-A MH owners how it feels to be envied by all those who don't own MHs. I don't know if the thread was removed or if it was even on this forum. As if we all want a MH and the expense and maintenance that goes with them. I can picture this elitist snob sitting at his site, alone, watching everyone walk by thinking how they're just green with envy... what a putz.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
For me, the farther away from hookups, the better. But, that's just me. I don't get "put off" by 45 footer or a pup tent being next to me and if anyone is put off by my equipment, they have the problem, not me!
This is how I feel but there are very few places outside the western states where RVers can boondock. All the land is owned or posted. The few places are always packed rig to rig. That's not boondocking = it's "parking."

When we're in a Resort/CG I'm more interested in the people near us and if they're friendly nice folks than what they drove in with. If we lived in the west we most likely wouldn't even consider CGs/Resorts.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
IMHO, it is naive to say folks aren't put off my inanimate objects. That is like saying folks don't form opinions of others based on the clothes they wear. Clothes are inanimate objects ergo we shouldn't pay any attention to the manner another person dresses themselves. That ain't gonna happen.
You misunderstood the meaning of what I was trying to say. Perhaps if you read my other reply to you you will understand.

Quote:
It would be hard to believe that tenters might not be put off by a big rig rumbling into their turf. Certainly not all of them but some would.
This is true. OTOH it's not likely someone in a multi-mil rig would be in a site next to a tent camper. Tenters or someone in another million dollar rig, few would appreciate their view being blocked - blocked by an old $6,000 TT or a brand new 45' Class-A. They would more likely be annoyed by their view being blocked or the noise/smell of a generator than the fact the rig cost a few mil.

Quote:
There are RV CG/Resorts that have various restrictions on clientele. Some only allow Class A MHs as an example. I am certain that the clientele would be put off by an inanimate object that didn't meet their expectations of what their neighbors would move next to them.
Yes, "snob camps".... we all know they exist. But THOSE people are indeed elitists. They would also find a small 3 bedroom ranch house being built in their Gated Community, no matter how nice it was kept up, visually offensive. When the shoe fits - they should wear it.

Quote:
So, it would be marvelous if everyone didn't base actions on the wrappers we come with, be they clothes, tents, trailers or MHs. The simple fact is that we continually observe what is going on around us and make judgments based on our experiences, prejudices, and observations. NONE of us can walk away from that fact because it is basic human nature. The best of us simply are able to shrug off initial impressions and dig a bit deeper before formulating a final opinion based more on current events vs old observations.
And that's why I suggested, in my earlier reply to you, that the OP take a closer look at HIMSELF as to what is making him believe others see him as elitist. Actions speak louder than words. Maybe he needs to make the first move and not wait for someone else to do so.

I have noticed, and there was also a thread on this subject some time back, that RVers/campers in general, are not as outgoing and friendly as they were in the past when most were not retirees. When many were singles and/or divorced people camping in groups. When many were married with children and looking to meet others with young ones. Camping/RVing today is not like it was back in the 60s and 70s when big groups would gather at someone's campfire until the wee hours....

As stated in that earlier thread from last year or the year before, people have reasons to keep to themselves and thinking someone in that 45' five mil RV is elitist isn't one of them.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Yes, "snob camps".... we all know they exist. But THOSE people are indeed elitists. They would also find a small 3 bedroom ranch house being built in their Gated Community, no matter how nice it was kept up, visually offensive. When the shoe fits - they should wear it.
I'm not even sure I can say anything that won't get me in hot water with the mods to this one.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #55

When I was young I backpacked all through the snows and deserts of Utah and Colorado. The Army provided me all kinds of "camping" experiences. I've toiled up the side of Rainier and held down the "blue tarps" along the Washington/Oregon coasts. When the kids were little, We pulled our tent trailer behind whatever vehicle we had, then graduated to a pick-up with a camper. Now with grandkids, we have a 32' class A with 2 slides and I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore. I love camping/RVing.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmart View Post
When I was young I backpacked all through the snows and deserts of Utah and Colorado. The Army provided me all kinds of "camping" experiences. I've toiled up the side of Rainier and held down the "blue tarps" along the Washington/Oregon coasts. When the kids were little, We pulled our tent trailer behind whatever vehicle we had, then graduated to a pick-up with a camper. Now with grandkids, we have a 32' class A with 2 slides and I don't have to sleep on the ground anymore. I love camping/RVing.
I started camping (east coast) in the mid 1970s in a tent in summer and a van-conversion in winter. I like my TT and Class-C a lot better. Much more comfortable for a senior and I love the conveniences the tent and VC lacked.

Closed Thread

Tags
campground