Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Campground vs RV Park

Campground vs RV Park
I’ve been traveling since August of 2007 when I bought my one and only class a. Yes it is big and yes I do stand out but this year traveling in the East I came to the realization that there is a very distinct difference between a Campground and a RV Park.
Seems that most people in Campgrounds are either seasonal, some year round but all do the same thing – they return every so often, weekends, vacations, holidays to “camp”. They come in everything from small tents to primarily towables, i.e. trailers, 5th wheels. Very few self-powered. They also stay to themselves and barely acknowledge any stranger. Primarily young families with parents in their thirties and early forties. Usually very crowded on the weekends. I’m constantly told that when they retire this is what they want to do – travel, not camp.
An RV Park is very different. Most do not allow tents. Very apparent difference is the age. Most are upper forties to eighties. Primarily couples. Very friendly and always greet whenever I pass. These people are “travelers” not “campers”. Most are passing through to get someplace else. They might stay a night or a week or longer. The travel is the reason; the destination is just an excuse to get on the road.
More people like me in a RV Park. I don’t feel I’m being snobbish, just different clientele at a different stage in their life then I am. I travel; I don’t own a “camper”.
Oh, one more thing: I full time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
With any generalizations you are wrong at least a few times !

Sounds like you are more interested in being divisive rather than inclusive of' your other rv'ers :-)
I've never once even thought about the difference in the two words as they are interchangeable IMHO.

Enjoy your camping !
Old 08-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

i have a hard time wording things but the last part of your post dos make you sound ....harsh..... or like you are mad at some thing when you made this post?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHiker View Post
Campground vs RV Park
I’ve been traveling since August of 2007 when I bought my one and only class a. Yes it is big and yes I do stand out but this year traveling in the East I came to the realization that there is a very distinct difference between a Campground and a RV Park.
Seems that most people in Campgrounds are either seasonal, some year round but all do the same thing – they return every so often, weekends, vacations, holidays to “camp”. They come in everything from small tents to primarily towables, i.e. trailers, 5th wheels. Very few self-powered. They also stay to themselves and barely acknowledge any stranger. Primarily young families with parents in their thirties and early forties. Usually very crowded on the weekends. I’m constantly told that when they retire this is what they want to do – travel, not camp.
An RV Park is very different. Most do not allow tents. Very apparent difference is the age. Most are upper forties to eighties. Primarily couples. Very friendly and always greet whenever I pass. These people are “travelers” not “campers”. Most are passing through to get someplace else. They might stay a night or a week or longer. The travel is the reason; the destination is just an excuse to get on the road.
More people like me in a RV Park. I don’t feel I’m being snobbish, just different clientele at a different stage in their life then I am. I travel; I don’t own a “camper”.
Oh, one more thing: I full time.
Sounds about rite to me ...
Old 08-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
With any generalizations you are wrong at least a few times !

Sounds like you are more interested in being divisive rather than inclusive of' your other rv'ers :-)
I've never once even thought about the difference in the two words as they are interchangeable IMHO.

Enjoy your camping !
IMHO you are the one who is wrong. As a professional speaker, I would say the OP has made a very good presentation of the BASIC difference. We all know that no one is ever completely wrong. This pop psychology is really unpleasant, trying to read into something that isn't there. Let's encourage sharing.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
...campgrounds....I’m constantly told that when they retire this is what they want to do – travel, not camp.

RV Park....The travel is the reason; the destination is just an excuse to get on the road.

......I travel; I don’t own a “camper”.
I have camped since 1952. I have found that there are mostly gregarious, caring, adventurous and kind folks in both venues.

By your own words, above, if you are not confused, I am, as you identified most with the RV Park, yet the campground folks want to travel, not camp. (?)

I travel. I camp.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounded more matter of fact than harsh to me - and pretty much true from my observation. Ya can't get that 45 footer into many "CGs" and being all electric could present some amp issues as well. But if it weren't for the love of camping we wouldn't be planning to go full time next year at 38'. CGs is where it all began and when I can fit in one I will be there. Too many beautiful lakes, meadows and mountain spots to see. Just has to meet certain conditions. Annie and I are never bothered by others when they visit or if they don't. Who knows - after a few years on the road we may settle down somewhere - sell the A and get another B Van or C and return to the CGs for all our getaways. I can't see not being able to get away, but sleeping on the ground and in a tent is forever in the past.

Congrats on being able to travel and be full time. Have fun and be safe.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Please understand, this is just MY opinion and not a negative one at all. I don't look down on anyone or their choice. My user name kind of states that I have spent many nights in a tent, and not a big 5+ person tent. I am a backpacker by desire, so I am not negative about campers. This is my observation of the difference between a campground and rv park. It's a mental thing, not so much physical.

My experience is that the rv park people are more social and more my age than the campgrounds that cater to the 30 - 40 yo. I'm 70. It's not scientific or based on any facts, just my opinion. Certainly was not be derogatory. And certainly was not trying to offend anyone.

CampDaven: On the side of a mountain with temps around zero in my NF -40 degree sleeping bag and 3 feet of snow under my Bibler tent after snowshoeing through the mountains all day is camping. My 45' rv has 1 1/2 baths and a king size bed. Camping it is not.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
He is simply making a few observations, which I can't say that I disagree . WE motorhomers are a very diverse bunch. We come from all walks of life with varying points of view. We each feel more comfortable with people from our own nich. It is not about snobbery or envy but simply familiarity. I am sitting in a county ran rv park in southern Indiana. I am the only class a in the park ( 2003 30ft Hurricane not an rv mansion by any streach ) I have been in about a dozen parks here in the east since may and there is no arguing with the fact that trailers are the most common with 5ers a distant second. Class c and classs a are only about 20 per cent. I am from Calif and I rarely see
trailers in the west. I'm sure we could argue all day, about why this is so and we would probably be only half right. The answers would be as diverse as we are. Just sayin...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
Old 08-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Adamfolger - X2 and spoken like a true RVM!
RVM2
Old 08-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

Quote:
CampDaven: On the side of a mountain with temps around zero in my NF -40 degree sleeping bag and 3 feet of snow under my Bibler tent after snowshoeing through the mountains all day is camping. My 45' rv has 1 1/2 baths and a king size bed. Camping it is not.
Okay. I'm with you now.

Grew up in MN. I know cold. But not like that! Woof! Scout camp was a picnic compared to that.

Our rig would make you feel a bit cramped, but our days are mostly outside, and the evening has a campfire, but the MH is a place to cook when if rains, and a place to sleep (sans frost, snow, bugs, etc :-)).

So, mostly, still campin' after all these years, albiet spoiled now.

But, we still find the same camping spirit and comaraderie in both venues. There were those years when (JOB) I wanted to travel but only had weekends in campgrounds. But now, I travel, I camp.

Cheers!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
I'll make one more observation...As I have been fulltiming since April ( no stick or bricks ) I have noticed that there are basically two catagories of fulltimers....those that travel full time with short stays here and there and those who are fulltime rvers but don't go any where. I fully understand the various reasons for the not going any where category and pray that I will never find myself in that position. Not to be meant as a put down at all. DW and I started our 43yr marriage in a 30ft trailer just outside the main gate at Ft Benning Ga 1970. It was an expedient housing situation at the time and we had young love to ease the pain of cramped quarters. After 43 yrs of straining my wifes love for me, I distract her with traveling to and fro.

As more and more parked full timers begin to fill up the spaces and the park management sees the profit in fulltime renters, there will be less incentive to maintain and upgrade facilities. Lots of parks are now limiting stays to 30 days and some to as little a two weeks. Again just sayin....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #13

Hi Old Hiker,

Thanks for the post. I appreciate your insight. Frankly, I never really considered the distinction. But, I'm sitting here in a "RV Park" for an overnight stay and based upon this (and similar RV Park experiences) I clearly understand your post and I share your opinion in general. For us, we like campgrounds, but we welcome the advantages that RV Parks can offer when traveling.

BTW - not a campfire to be found in this RV Park tonight, which in itself speaks somewhat of the type of guest.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
How about this; I like to travel in my RV and stay at RV parks on the way to get to the places I want to camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	43514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	328.7 KB
ID:	43515  

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Closed Thread