Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
300 miles for us is a long day we prefer 250.

'09' F350 CC DRW B&W Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:24 PM   #16
Most has been covered but I'll add that when setting up a trip I start by picking the route then searching for campgrounds. That lets me build a list in my laptop. I also include places like Walmart if I think we will want one for either shopping or parking. Overhead views and reviews let me sort out the long term places or pick up on any other issues. Once we are on the road we usually call ahead around noon -2 PM for a reservation as we have a pretty good handle on where we will be in a few more hours. If there is an issue that gives me alternatives without scrambling as I just go up or down the list. Also lets us cruise a bit more and pull a Wallydock depending on how we feel and what is available.

Options can be spread out and events happen. Also bear in mind that things change. When picking places we try for WiFi every few days and update the list as needed. Sometimes coming one way suggests a different way back. Sometimes a known place is the easy choice. Just stay loose and enjoy.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #17
www.rvparkreviews.com is a good source to know. That, along with a road map will take care of you til you get your feet wet. Then with some experience you'll be able to better know how you like to travel. Not everyone is the same. Some will go with their hair on fire trying to make 600 miles in a day. Others like us prefer 300 miles max. But normally less than that, after all what's the hurry?
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #18
We just ended our first year of RVing yesterday. We drove about 8,000 miles and spent around 135 nights on the road. 3 of the trips were about a month long, 2 of those with 3 "destinations" and this last one spending a month in one location.

Here is what we learned about how far to drive each day.

It takes about an hour or so to set up and tear down. If we are on a "transit leg", with an overnight stop, I try to simply set up / tear down by not hooking up to sewer, and next year I will also just use the fresh water tank more in these instances so I don't have to screw around with the fresh water hook up either.

My wife with drive about 1/3 of the time if we are driving more than 4 hours.

We have done 350-400 miles when appropriate to do so, but distance is also related directly to where you are going to be driving.

I do not want to get caught driving in rush hour in a major city, so you may need to leave later in the day, or end earlier at times to work around rush hours,in either case cutting a day short (we have also driven on 250 one day and 100 the next so that we did not hit Atlanta rush hour on the way home for instance).

Any leg under 250-300 miles is going to be easy to manage in a single day in most cases.

A 500 mile leg would be too long for one day, so we figure out the best way to break into 2 days.

A "destination" that is 400 miles, we would try to make in a single day, given due consideration for where we would be driving.

And yes, we have made reservations for all of our "destinations" well ahead of time. We are taking a 3 month trip later this year, and have all our destinations booked already. We have expected transit stops noted, no reservations, so we will just work those out along the road.

2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote