RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Campgrounds...

...booking 2 1/2 months in advance & the campground are almost full. one campground I got the Last available site. Is this just a west coast thing or is it like this all over ? Don't think I would want to travel without reservations before hand.

I realize 2 1/2 months isn't as bad as yosemite where you have to book a year & a half in advance......

that and alot of campgrounds don't want me to bring my american staffy's with me, but I refuse to travel without them. but thats prolly a whole other thread.

riverforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #2

you'll find that most of the 'national' reservation sites, which most of the states and national parks use, is very limiting, overly so, we you try to put it 'continuous' dates of stay.

I've found that if you only use a single day, you'll get many more 'hits' of sites that are available, then you can look under the 'available dates by sites' tab, and it will show you quickly if there are any sites with those 'specific' dates, all in the same site. BUT, don't be afraid to 'move' to a different site if you need to in order to keep you 'continuous' days at a certain campground.

Also, word-to-the-wise, most, if not all, campgrounds have 'walk up only' sites...they are sites that are not reservable - but they are available if no one is yet occupying them. Many times they will be taken, and many times you'll find that one is available... so 'having to have reservations' is not always true...some of us will 'wing it' and find either 'walk up' sites, or 'cancelled' sites that are not yet in the website's system as available.

RVinsurance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on the type of campground to a certain degree but in the summer it is tough everywhere.

I am going next week to a state park that does not accept reservations and getting there early in the day on Wednesday and should have no trouble finding a spot. Not a chance on the weekend unless you are already there. All the reservable spots are booked through September with the exception of a mid-week day or two and less desirable spots. After the kids go back to school it gets easier.

National forest campgrounds are non-reservable so plenty of spots except in National Parks but they have limited generator hours and no hook-ups so onlu acceptable in cooler weather.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:17 PM   #4

This must be a west coast thing, we were not traveling for the 4th of July this year, but just out of curiosity I checked a few state parks, COE campgrounds, etc. within about a 100 mile radius of where I live in western Louisiana and most had multi day vacancies around the 4th. One lake front COE campground in east Texas that I checked was over half empty for the 4th as of last weekend.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

We started booking in January for our holiday in the northwest in August! Couldnít believe it!
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:24 AM   #6

Started booking for jan 2019 in Florida as of jan 2018 while in Arizona. Still have 10 days un-booked and working on it! Was much easier when we tented, never made reservations, but more comfortable in our MH now��
Old 07-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We book a bunch of trips in Jan/Feb for the Nov/December months. We are planners, but we usually dont have issues getting in.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #8

Good Luck

I've been trying for 2 years to get a spot at Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia Canada - Old Shipyard Campground.

Yup I got one - FOR NEXT YEAR - early July.

It's a small CG located ON the water (Bay of Fundy) with spectacular views, Full service (unusual in NS) and very reasonable rates.

Here's a link.

https://www.oldshipyardcampground.com/

Got a phone call about 3 weeks ago - last minute cancellation Ö. but too late plans were made around our spot already next year.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #9

It's tough all over.

Same way here in the south. We usually go for Christmas at our local COE campground. I booked it a month ago and got one of the last sites.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #10

Have had some problems this year at the popular CGs, but it does seem worse then previous years. Just have to deal with it as we don't like to pre-plan weeks/months ahead.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post
I've been trying for 2 years to get a spot at Spencer's Island, Nova Scotia Canada - Old Shipyard Campground.

It's a small CG located ON the water (Bay of Fundy) with spectacular views, Full service (unusual in NS) and very reasonable rates.

Here's a link.

Got a phone call about 3 weeks ago - last minute cancellation Ö. but too late plans were made around our spot already next year.

My brother and our DW's stayed here in 2015 and had no problems with reservations made early April for a 2 week stay in July.
Tides were amazing as were the owners Bob & Noreen.
I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

Jim
onlakegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF-104 View Post

Here's a link.

Nice looking camp ground/
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
We book 11 months in advance at State parks in Florida for January, February March and still do not get the parks or sites we prefer and it will only get worse.

When you are camping look at all the new trucks, trailers and motor homes you see and read about increased RV sales. Get a fast computer connection and start 11 months in advance for the good Florida State Parks that are south of Tampa
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 PM   #14

We are planners and haven't traveled without reservations. We're also full timers and know that we like to stay 1-3 weeks in any given spot. If we know there is a lot to do in the area then we'll make a reservation for 2-3 weeks, which ever we can get. If there isn't so much to do there, only a few things then we'll just book 7-10 days. We had to stay in Florida this spring longer than what we had planned due to some health concerns we had to get checked out so we didn't make our summer plans until the first of June. We had to adjust where we wanted to go because we couldn't get into our 1st or 2nd choice campgrounds in some cases but we're pretty flexible so it all worked out.

Tags
campground