Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1

Campgrounds and BIG RVs

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there is a bit modest when saying the length of their RV when making campground reservations. It seems a lot of campgrounds have a limit of 40' on reservations. I believe this is more so for reasoning that 40' is a nice even number. Being at 41' 6", I doubt I would be doing much harm saying it is 40'. Anyone ran into problems doing so?

Just trying to get some advice as I am new to this RV.

THANKS!
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If your only over by 18", then TELL THEM 40'..... You'll Fit. I stay in one State Park, the site I want say's 20'......... I fit , No Problem, just a little work to get in but a Great View.

Don't sweat the small stuff.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I tell 'em straight up what my length is. I've found that when I tell them, they use that to adjust what site they put me in. The only place I ever saw it fail was Disneyworld. I got there and the site they assigned and the area they put me in...no way could I get into it. Could have been my driving skills..but it was pretty tight.

IMO, tell 'em up straight, unless you know the site and know you can get into it.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #4

Our previous RV (a 5er 39'8") became a 40' RV whenever I reserved a campsite. Nice round number, easy to remember for reservations clerk too. Since Reserve America has Google Earth or something very similar, I view campsites first, if I think I can shoehorn the 5er into a 30' spot I type that in for length. Only once did I have to ask for a longer site. IMO that's much better than the person that reserves a 60' pull-through then parks a 14' pop-up in the middle because he wants more space.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've never measured mine. I just call it what Tiffin called it: 40'.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Monaco calls my coach 40' but it measures 41' 8" not counting mirror projections. When asked by the CG I tell them 40'
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #7

We use a lot of (mostly) state parks. Some of them are older and the length of their campsites has never been updated. So, guilty as charged! I frequently understate our length when making reservations and it's never bit me yet? If the longest sites they have are 32', that's how long we are!

Sometimes, I'll call a park to verify what I'm seeing on line. At that point I tell them how big the coach really is, and that I'm an ex truck driver. Then, I get the real story. Maybe the site is tight, but they've seen it done before? That's generally all I need assuming the site has a solid base I'm not going to sink into and is reasonably level. Assuming either has caused problems, so I usually want to get that part straight!
Old 07-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I tell 'em straight up what my length is. I've found that when I tell them, they use that to adjust what site they put me in. ...

IMO, tell 'em up straight, unless you know the site and know you can get into it.
X2

I always take a look see of the CG with a satellite map to give it a quick check out for anything that seems obviously whack. I've seen some CGs that are big rig friendly for about 4-5 slots and then look out. LOL I also tell them I have a sat dish and they have even been better at sat friendly sites too.

If you tell them the whole story, you have a much better chance of getting what you need. If they baulk at your information then they might really be concerned because my experience is that they will always say they can take a big rig even if it will be a tight fit. JMHO
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I tell 'em straight up what my length is. I've found that when I tell them, they use that to adjust what site they put me in. The only place I ever saw it fail was Disneyworld. I got there and the site they assigned and the area they put me in...no way could I get into it...
X2. We've made many trips to Ft Wilderness over the years and twice we've been given a site we couldn't get into.

It really depends on the difference. For example, I'll not even bother if the max is given as 30' but if it's listed at 40 I might call, or check Google Earth before I decide whether or not to give it a try. That's only half the story though. I made a number of Florida state park reservations last year and I called every park before I made the reservation. Usually the person that answered the phone was an on-site RV owning volunteer and I'd have some confidence after talking to them. They'd even make specific site recommendations. One young lady, however, gave me no such confidence. She kept assuring me that the sites were long enough, something I could tell for myself from their web site, but had no idea what I was asking when I inquired about access. Can I get to the site, or back out of the campground with a big rig? Any low hanging trees, 90 degree corners in a very narrow interior road, etc? Again, Google Earth can be a big help in some of these situations, but not all.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
I find some CG's may say a spot is 40' and it is not. That is why we should check CG reviews to see what others are saying.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs