Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #43

p38ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmart View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience camping at any Military bases.
I have been staying at military bases for years. The Air force has the best campgrounds. They're are called "FamCamps". You need to be retired military to get on the base. The Navy has a few good campgrounds too. If you are near a military base with a Exchange, see if they have a guide book of campgrounds on the bases. Most of the campgrounds have full hookups but not all. The guide book will have this kind of data. Some take reservations up to 30 days in advance some do not.
The only drawback is the bases may not be convenient to your destinations.

Hope this has been helpful.
p38ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #44

Fiddler’s Cove

By far, Fiddler’s Cove RV Park and Marina is the very best MWR Park. It’s on the Silver Strand just south of Coronado, CA. It is so popular that it is often hard to get in to however.
JCScrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #45

Air Force the Best....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmart View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any experience camping at any Military bases.
I have found that Air Force bases have the best facilities (go figure), followed by most Army (we found the ones on the boonies offer nice sites, like A P Hill). Coast Guard are small and few, with exception of some units in Florida near east coast side.
Don't know about Navy, and not sure Marines have any (think they just throw a tent up anywhere and rough it knowing bigfoot won't even mess with them).
Our experiences are primarily Virginia, N.C., Midwest. Not sure how reservation works for other than active and retired, i'm retired. Air Force as I remember, has a sliding scale for costs (lower / senior enlisted and officer, I was CWO4), but found them WELL worth it.
There is a directory, forget where, that lists all the military sites and their facilities. I get one through my Navy Times news subscription but think it is available on-line.
Good luck and have fun.
Dave
2000 National RV Dolphin 5350.Class A
2016 RAM Bighorn Laramie (Toad)
Dapadest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I believe that you will not be able to register if you are not 100% disabled, active or retired military, dod retired. Your son might be able to sponsor you, but that is if they accept sponsorship at that facility....he would have to make the reservation for you. Best check on rules on staying at that military campground.
This will let u know
U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Authorized Users of Military Campgrounds
Old 09-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #47

Retired Canadian Military

Kind of related I think, I just retired from the Canadian Military this year and plan to RV South for the winter months. Does anyone know, as a non US retired military, can I stay at US military base campgrounds?
DannyRamsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:37 PM   #48

There are a couple of good apps to help you find/evaluate famcamps and other military campgrounds. Check them out.
SeeYa_Gabels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:38 PM   #49
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
The FAMCAMP at Nellis AFB, NV (Las Vegas) has both a new section, just opened over the past three months, and a much older section. The older section has mature trees but the “ambiance” is what I’d call desert camping. No grass except in pet runs and picnic/play areas but it is still very adequate. The new section all has patches of grass, tables, gravel and is very modern. It does lack trees except for the just planted saplings (8’ tall, no cover yet). The major advantage is the cost and number of spaces. Cost is under $25 per night and about 125+ spaces available. With Las Vegas hotel rooms averaging around $150 for anything you would want to stay in, the FAMCAMP is a steal. Landscaping takes time to mature and those places around the country with mature trees were either developed around the trees or have been there a great number of years.
I’d give the Nellis FAMCAMP a 9 out of 10 or 4.5 Stars. The staff, and I’ve only really met a couple, are all caring and very helpful. I was parking my 40’ DP in the old temporary parking area until I could get a spot in the long term storage and was graciously advised by one of the staff that the short term area was about to close because of construction on the new sites. He provided detail instructions on obtaining a long term spot which was EXTREMELY helpful. I got a long term spot for $25 per month where most commercial storage facilities run from $250 up to one I looked at for $975 per month. I almost feel like I’m stealing my spot at $25.
I've stayed in the Nellis AFB Famcamp in Vegas for the last 11 years and I'll give it a 10 out of 10 and 5 stars. I'm comparing this to several other Famcamps I've stayed at. Thee are over 200 FHU sites now with over 80 in the new section with only 4 being back ins.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #50

This summer we stayed at three famcamps. Goodfellow AFB TX was very nice and right next to a lake. McChord AFB WA was very nice with lots of mature shade trees. Vandenberg AFB CA was ok. Be warned, 50 amp only and you will have to have your own dog bone. At the time I didn’t have one.
Dgumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #51

Sea Mist at Dam Neck Virginia Beach

My wife and I have been coming here for the past three years. It costs $25 per night and less than a five minute walk to the beach. Pads are concrete and all have 50amp FHU’s and WiFi.
tlc4texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyRamsay View Post
Kind of related I think, I just retired from the Canadian Military this year and plan to RV South for the winter months. Does anyone know, as a non US retired military, can I stay at US military base campgrounds?
No, you cannot.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #53

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I've stayed at many Fam Camps, Navy CGs, and Army Resorts. I've found them to be a great value. I don't know a thing about sponsorship as I am retired Army.
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #54

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Pelican Roost CG is nice. You can watch the ships pass all the day. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rpdxtuAoEpitC5f17
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 PM   #55

We camped at all military campground possible in all 48 states. We loved them.
Dee_fulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #56

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorVegas View Post
Pelican Roost CG is nice. You can watch the ships pass all the day. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rpdxtuAoEpitC5f17
Much to do in Jacksonville
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FNEbEnXmQhUVgHWbA

Tags
camping, military