Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #1

Camping at Military Bases

I was wondering if anyone had any experience camping at any Military bases.
csmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #2

Yes they can be both ends of the spectrum...almost always cheap but some are nice and some aren’t
Old 09-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
We have camped at many across the country. If you qualify for the benefit it is a great one to use. Many are outside major cities and make good places to be. Unfortunately, many allow permanent campers which makes it hard to get a site. Check out the website U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks - Home
Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply, my son is planning on enlisting in the army, we are planning to upgrade to class a dp so we can travel and thought the base campground would be a good option for us to stay during a visit.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #5

I stayed at Fort Story in VA beach earlier this summer. Will never go back. Campground sucked. And it was the most unlevel spot I've ever encountered. Took my wife and I 30-45 minutes to level.
Pass.
Kodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #6

I believe that you will not be able to register if you are not 100% disabled, active or retired military, dod retired. Your son might be able to sponsor you, but that is if they accept sponsorship at that facility....he would have to make the reservation for you. Best check on rules on staying at that military campground.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #7

* Point Mugu near Oxnard, CA is a rather nice campground. No shade, but its on the beach Even has a connected motel so friends and family can come visit (with Base Commander's permission) even if they don't have an RV.

* Edwards AFB has shade, but I've heard reports of sites with failed power poles. And no one wants to actually visit Edwards AFB or the surrounding areas. If you have access, maybe as an overnight stop?

* China Lake - pretty much identical to Edwards AFB. Nice campground, though I think the power works better. But...who wants to go here?
Gavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
I believe that you will not be able to register if you are not 100% disabled, active or retired military, dod retired. Your son might be able to sponsor you, but that is if they accept sponsorship at that facility....he would have to make the reservation for you. Best check on rules on staying at that military campground.

Thanks. I’m not sure how all that would work, thought family might be able to during a visit. Still have a lot to figure out.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your very best source of information would be to call the particular Campground you would like to stay at and get first hand information as there are variances from one location to another.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
Yes, anyone eligible can Sponcer someone to stay at a FamCamp, or other MWR lodging.
As said some don't allow Sponsorship.
Check out :
www.usmilitarycampgrounds.us
for a wealth of information on every Military Campground in the country.
I was in the NAVY for 10 years and only discovered Military Campgrounds after I was designated 100% Service Connected Disabled.
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TripleE

I created my user account over a week ago and after 3 email request still haven't received the activation email so can't use site.
Do you know if it is still active?
Thx - Richard
Old 09-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
TripleE

I created my user account over a week ago and after 3 email request still haven't received the activation email so can't use site.
Thx - Richard
Yes it is, as I just received the news letter 2-3 weeks ago.
Let me see if I can find a different email address on the news letter.
The Husband and Wife that started and run the site are also work campers, and sometimes there in places with limited access.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
TripleE

Thx - Richard
Try this email address:
Larryf@militarycampgrounds.us
He is the Owner/Admin of the website
Explain you situation
Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

The FAMCAMP at Nellis AFB, NV (Las Vegas) has both a new section, just opened over the past three months, and a much older section. The older section has mature trees but the “ambiance” is what I’d call desert camping. No grass except in pet runs and picnic/play areas but it is still very adequate. The new section all has patches of grass, tables, gravel and is very modern. It does lack trees except for the just planted saplings (8’ tall, no cover yet). The major advantage is the cost and number of spaces. Cost is under $25 per night and about 125+ spaces available. With Las Vegas hotel rooms averaging around $150 for anything you would want to stay in, the FAMCAMP is a steal. Landscaping takes time to mature and those places around the country with mature trees were either developed around the trees or have been there a great number of years.
I’d give the Nellis FAMCAMP a 9 out of 10 or 4.5 Stars. The staff, and I’ve only really met a couple, are all caring and very helpful. I was parking my 40’ DP in the old temporary parking area until I could get a spot in the long term storage and was graciously advised by one of the staff that the short term area was about to close because of construction on the new sites. He provided detail instructions on obtaining a long term spot which was EXTREMELY helpful. I got a long term spot for $25 per month where most commercial storage facilities run from $250 up to one I looked at for $975 per month. I almost feel like I’m stealing my spot at $25.
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, military