Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #1

Camping vs RVing

I like to Camp. By that I mean I like to look out my RV window and see God's Beauty. I like to sit by a big campfire at night and roast marshmallows. I like to get up in the morning and cook chorizo and eggs on my Coleman road trip grill. I like to go to State and National Parks. Recently I had a discussion with a friend who has a 40+ foot rig that he can only take to certain places and then he referred to my rig as a motor home and his as a motor coach. Sure his is fancier but I feel I have a nice RV as well. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather dry camp at a state park or campground then an RV park where you park on a concrete slab with your neighbors slide right on your awning. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a few trips each year at my father's RV resort in Pismo beach where you cant even have a fire or set up a tent for extra kids but give me a nice big open campground any day. Anyone else feel the same.

Giant Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Jeff View Post
I like to Camp. By that I mean I like to look out my RV window and see God's Beauty. I like to sit by a big campfire at night and roast marshmallows. I like to get up in the morning and cook chorizo and eggs on my Coleman road trip grill. I like to go to State and National Parks. Recently I had a discussion with a friend who has a 40+ foot rig that he can only take to certain places and then he referred to my rig as a motor home and his as a motor coach. Sure his is fancier but I feel I have a nice RV as well. I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather dry camp at a state park or campground then an RV park where you park on a concrete slab with your neighbors slide right on your awning. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy a few trips each year at my father's RV resort in Pismo beach where you cant even have a fire or set up a tent for extra kids but give me a nice big open campground any day. Anyone else feel the same.
We live in our RV full time and there's no getting around staying in crowded parks at times. However, some of our best times in our RV have been in rural, rustic parks...some with less than full hookup and way in the boonies. I totally get what your saying, and especially if you use your RV for mostly vacations. "Motor Coach" vs Motor home sounds a little snooty to me. My first coach was a 35' 13 year old gasser I bought on Ebay. We lived in it for 3 years and loved it. We were fortunate enough to be able to upgrade to a newer diesel pusher...a nice Monaco, but I remember my roots well and would never put someone down who had a simpler cheaper coach. I fully recognize the new one can't go some places the old one could because of sheer size. Pay no attention to that nonsense and have fun RVing YOUR way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #3

State parks for us as a rule as well, for the same reasons. Geez, please allow me SOME privacy when camping, at least? Wall to wall coaches jammed together parking lot style reeks of owners looking to get the max return on their investment to me. Emphasis on enjoying the outdoors missing completely?

Anything bigger than a pop up is a "coach" in our camp. Makes little difference to us what others call them?
Old 02-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #4

RVing is just as diverse as anything else in life. Different strokes for different folks. As an aging full-timer, I feel pressed to see as much as possible before parking it for the last time. That is why I have the equipment that I have. Campgrounds in state and national parks are great...but often crowded during summer vacation. It is all good.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
We are perfectly happy with our 30' 2003 Minnie Winnie. It does everything we need it to do. It is very comfortable and reliable. Had a great one month trip last year in Florida doing mostly state parks and a week in a resort. It was all good.

A luxury coach might be nice but it would probably depreciate more than I paid for our Winnebago during the first year.

I always wondered if the folks in the million dollar coach say "they are going camping"?

This is an amazing hobby you can enjoy with a tent and a sleeping bag all the way up to a Prevost.

Have a great 2014 camping season! John and Miri
Old 02-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

#1 I would rather live in a 'home' than a 'coach', a home is much nicer LOL.
#2 You can build a fire outside your home (S/B or Motorhome) and enjoy it immensely, But if you return to your home to sleep you are not camping, JMO YMMV.

The bottom line is have fun no matter what you do and call it whatever you want.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #7

I do things MY WAY and don't give a darn about anybody doing things THEIR WAY.

Actually, "give a darn" isn't really accurate, I suppose I am a-social on the subject.

Ed
Old 02-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #8

I think there are many "styles" of traveling with a vehicle ... regardless of the actual type of vehicle. Personally, I prefer some space and isolation. However, I'm also one of those that doesn't like any wood/charcoal fires. I'm also OK with drinking wine in a Solo cup.

Maybe life really is like a box of chocolates ...

I really like chocolate
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think it depends on what you are trying to do. 98% of our trips have been boondocking. We've only stayed in a park once, at Candlestick park in SF CA. It was exactly as described on these posts. Once the slides were extended, you literally could not walk between some coaches. The rest of our trips are 4 to 5 day runs with the horses. We end up in a meadow, forest or somebodies ranch. I have a hard time imagining it any other way. On the other hand, when we stayed at Candlestick, there were hardly any open spaces.
Chuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, the OP has hit upon a clear distinction in how many of us use our "RVs".

We're 40 feet long and rarely even try to fit in a state park... much less a national park. We've also never boon docked.

We bought our rig to facilitate our traveling... not to make us feel like we're camping. I got all the "camping" urges out of my system when I was younger.

As for the "I own a motor coach, but you own a motor home"... that's just silly.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #11

Camping requires canvas, ropes, sleeping bags, ice chests, cooking outdoors over a campfire or campstove, access to water without a hose. If you can sleep, eat, bathe in what you drove or pulled to get there, you are probably not camping. If you can see into your neighbors unit, can hear them flush their toilet, have to turn sideways and or duck to walk between two units, you are definitely not camping. You may in fact be having a good time, spending time with friends and family, gazing at a beautiful sunset but you ain't camping.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with you Jeff!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I told friends of ours that asked if we were going "camping" this weekend, I promptly stated "Once you've prepared a meal in the woods on a George Foreman Grill, you've pretty much slammed the door on "camping".

Someone coined the word Glamping, that's what we do, glamorous Camping!

My preference on places to stay fall in line with the OP, I prefer state parks. Too often the private CG's resemble trailer parks with the fenced in yards, screen porches, and in some cases, cars on blocks!

There's a limit on stays in state parks that keep people from settling in. Just a personal preference.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey All,

Aren't we all lucky to have our rolling tin houses??? No matter what size or configuration??? Hubby and I use ours whenever we can... He cannot get away as much as we would like, but heck....when we can turn the key and chug away from the driveway, we are in heaven!!

Who cares whether you "camp" in a tent or a 45 foot luxury RV? We are all connected because we love the lifestyle. Last summer I was in a rustic campground with my "40 foot land yacht"...and my next door neighbor was in a tent with 4 kids...We had conversations and shared a drink and then the rain that came down practically washed them out....

Hubby and I were able to welcome them into our "home" and we were glad to do that. Isn't that what it is all about? The family slept on the couches and the floor of our RV and we shared what we had with them. The kids giggled and watched TV and I was glad that I could provide for them until they fell asleep.

The next day, we assisted the clean-up of their camp-site and the kids kept saying that they wanted an RV like ours....but I bet they will remember the night that they spent with us and maybe it was good memory.

I think that the kids will look forward to a camping experience that may be a tent on the ground or they may try to save up to purchase a rolling home on wheels, but whatever that night meant to them....it is a personal experience

FAITH

fansill is offline   Reply With Quote