Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
camping world

just left fl 95--to 26--to 40 to 75 n0rth. is it me or did cw buy some stores. so much inventory tried to get propane at 3 of the stores no way to turn around had to unhook car.and nc & sc 3.68 diesl
safe travles bob,linda & missy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good Sam & Camping World have been on an expansion spree, adding new stores and expanding others. And more of them have become RV sales locations as well as accessory stores.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Good Sam & Camping World have been on an expansion spree, adding new stores and expanding others. And more of them have become RV sales locations as well as accessory stores.
They are using the exsisting lots of the RV dealers that they buy, which often is not as large as CW would like.

The local dealer where they took over, they completely changed the layout of the outside of the store, and it is better, but certainly no larger.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just so. They buy a dealership and make it over into a CW store +dealership. Or use the parking area at a CW store to show a sales inventory, as they did at some older CW store locations. In my area they just announced a move to a larger piece of property several miles down the road, where they will have a larger CW store and a larger dealership.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not get propane at any of the Flying J's on your route?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
or costco? which is probably one of the best prices in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Why not get propane at any of the Flying J's on your route?
1.99 gallon on tues-wensday
Old 03-17-2013, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Just so. They buy a dealership and make it over into a CW store +dealership. Or use the parking area at a CW store to show a sales inventory, as they did at some older CW store locations. In my area they just announced a move to a larger piece of property several miles down the road, where they will have a larger CW store and a larger dealership.
I am not sure if this store is new or not (Statesville,NC) but my experience the last few days with the RV sales department could not have been worse. I traveled a long way to buy a coach which they told me was low miles. Stupid me I wanted them to give me the Serial number so I could do a car fax . They pulled the stall trick until I was on the road 500 miles. Finally got the numbers over the phone ( after giving them my credit card deposit ) which i then did a CarFax only to find out the coach had way over 100,000 maybe 200,000 miles, not 34,000. They claimed the CarFax might be wrong, that became a huge red flag, I turned around and headed home, all at a considerable cost in time and mental stress, let alone cost of rental car, gas, and, well , weather, I am not home yet!
I will be addressing this with their Corporate once I get home through the deep snow, it's been a nightmare !
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
We had similar experience at the Myrtle Beach CW. Just like all business in today's world some good stores most poor or terrible!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I am not sure if this store is new or not (Statesville,NC) but my experience the last few days with the RV sales department could not have been worse. I traveled a long way to buy a coach which they told me was low miles. Stupid me I wanted them to give me the Serial number so I could do a car fax . They pulled the stall trick until I was on the road 500 miles. Finally got the numbers over the phone ( after giving them my credit card deposit ) which i then did a CarFax only to find out the coach had way over 100,000 maybe 200,000 miles, not 34,000. They claimed the CarFax might be wrong, that became a huge red flag, I turned around and headed home, all at a considerable cost in time and mental stress, let alone cost of rental car, gas, and, well , weather, I am not home yet!
I will be addressing this with their Corporate once I get home through the deep snow, it's been a nightmare !
Sorry to tell you but that has been a CW for a long time. I live fairly close to this store and I don't shop here unless I really need to. I have never seen a used motor home on their lot I was impressed with. This is just my opinion. I am sure others have had success there or they wouldn't still be there.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Sorry to tell you but that has been a CW for a long time. I live fairly close to this store and I don't shop here unless I really need to. I have never seen a used motor home on their lot I was impressed with. This is just my opinion. I am sure others have had success there or they wouldn't still be there.
It really doesn't matter how long they have been there. What matters most is their deceptive advertising . Knowing that , or being involved in an odometer " fix" or replace or has been tampered with is a federal and state crime! They can avoid disclosure after the vehicle gets 10 years old, they just play dumb, that's the deceptive ad part .The coach is still showing in their ads 34,000 miles. I doubt they will change , someone will be a sucker and buy into the scam without checking. It's quite plain to see when in 2000 it showed 37,000 now 13 years later and four more owners it shows 34,000 !!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:06 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For me, getting propane is like getting gasoline. I go where I see it is convenient to pull in and out. Maybe a truck stop or gas station with space for RVs. A campground I may be staying at is always an option. But you always got to deal with posted hours of operation. Areas I travel more than once, I try to remember the locations easiest to get fuel, LPG and gasoline.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

The CW at Statesville NC is odd they make the pictures so you don't see the crappy shape of the rv. I know, I made three trips before I realized not to go back. I only live about a hour and a half, but still too long to look at crap. I had a really bad deal at the CW at Myrtle Beach SC, Looked at a nice fifth wheel on line, went to see it while on vacation in Nov. 2012. Put down deposit check, they promised to fix all the stuff wrong give us a hitch several nights at a campground of our choice to make sure everything was working before we towed back to NC. Our credit isn't too bad, not the greatest. (due to the econcomy) had to keep calling to the finance guy and he would transfer us to the sales guy and this went on for about 2 weeks. Went to Tom Johnsons in Concord, late on a saturday, our sales lady Gigi stayed with us to answers questions, even the finance lady Kim stayed after closing to answer our questions. That following monday we let them know we wanted that camper we were financed by 1 o'clock that day, scheduled for pdi that Saturday and now we are the proud owners of a Grand Junction. We still haven't got our deposit check back had to pay bank fee to stop payment. I will never buy anything from them again. Poor business practices will get them nowhere.
volvosweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #14

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
By no means am I defending CW or their Sales People, but, Carfax can and HAS in fact, been wrong in the past. I've personally seen it happen. And, as it's a voluntary reporting situation, there's no one to "go back on". Every state has a law of protection on the books now for odometer fraud, so if you bought something like the instance you mentioned, and found out the miles were inaccurate, you would receive a full refund of the purchase price at minimum, regardless of how long you would've owned the unit.

When automobiles starting going to 6 digit odometers, there were TONS of Carfax "mistakes" as service writers could assume it was a 6 digit odometer, when it fact it was 5 digit PLUS the tenths. If that occurred on this unit in question, the odometer could've read 3,745.50, as an example, but entered as 37455.00 Again, I have NO LOYALTY to CW or anyone for that matter, I just know this information to be fact.

Tags
camping