Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
If you want my real opinion, if you are a dealership for any major brand, you should be able to handle serviicing what you sell. Boat dealers do it, motorcycle dealers do it, and car dealers do it. No excuses. It's not "over the top" to expect it.
Sounds nice; but reality is: house goes to RV dealer, chassis goes to Ford, AND I had to take the coach to Cummins for a warranty issue with the generator. I have spent a lot of RV'ing time on this circuit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
brobox,
I am not a CW employee and don't ever intend to be one. If you had a bad experience and it appears that you did you have options. There's an RV web sight for reporting these type if issues. At this time I just can't remember the name of the sight. You could also mention the location and we won't grace their doors.

I believe (IMO) since they are strategically located and in our travels we all pass close to many of their stores it would be to our advantage, if possible, to try and influence their quality of service/products when we can.

Think about this. There are about 120 CW locations around the US and the number is growing. They are becoming the Wal-Mart for the RV world. We live in a capitalistic society and we can influence companies by not buying what they sell if we don't like it. We can complain. We can recommend both good and bad. Most of us are retired and taking a few minutes to both compliment when we receive good deals on products and good service will go a long ways. We can also appropriately complain to the right individual when we get poor service. It is the right thing to do and in the long run we will also benefit.

Just yesterday I called Ron Lichtsinn at Lichtsinn Motors in FC, Iowa. I told him of an individual who had a bad experience at his dealership last Summer during the WGBO National Rally. He was very grateful and appreciated that I took the time and called. He also said that most people would have never bothered.

I just happen to think it a duty to report both the good and the not so good. JMHO!!!!

TeJay

Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #31

Gulf Streamers Club
TeJay, I agree, I also report bad service, first hand or second hand. Not to profit myself, but to improve the business for all. One of the websites for reporting RV service:

RV Service Reviews

Sadly it's not as well utilized as it should be.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club

Please regard this as agreeing with a fellow poster, not a hi-jacking of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
...According to most parents and administrators every and I mean EVERY kid is going to college. They will all graduate and make a ton of $$$$$. We all know that's not true but that's the standard line. When somebody on TV says anything about further education 99 out of 100 time you'll here them says, "You need to save money for your kids College education." They almost never say "Save $$$$ for your Kids Vocational Education." I've actually never heard that said....
TeJay - I couldn't agree with you more. I taught math (algebra and geometry) in the 7th largest school district in Texas (70,000 students), and the district's Vocational program is woefully inadequate. The district wants to prepare everyone for college!

Not only is everyone going to college, but, according to their parents, to Rice and Harvard (about 28,000 total students for both schools combined). Apparently the parents aren't doing the math! They regard Univ. of Texas and Texas A&M (both top 50 schools) as fallbacks! Well, they are just state schools.

With you retired, and my school district kidding itself, who is going to get all the real work done in the future?
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Slightly OFF topic comment.

Don,
Thanks for the supporting comments. The Vocational offerings may be woeful but I'll bet the Football program has/had all and I mean ALL (and then some) that they need. Even her in AR it was not unusual to have 6-8 or more assistant coaches. They had the artificial turf, playback screen and on and on and on. I was in a quonnset hut (Tin roof and walls) with open flame chicken coop heaters and no AC for my first 15 years. My last 10 years I had an upper floor for a classroom (because the state said it had to be separate from the shop area) little heat and AC only the last 4 years. It often hit well over a 100 in the spring and fall. We were also right next to the football field. That made it even worse.

That was my last life. On to better things.

TeJay
Old 11-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Just listening to this discussion makes me never want to buy a new motorhome with a manufafcturer's warranty on it. I'll stay with used and worry about where to take it on my own dime and save myself 40% upfront...

BTW, I would never take my motorhme to Camping World for any reason and we have one about 20 minutes away

Do not be afraid of buying a new Motor home. But DO find out where to take it if it fails.. Like you Camping world is a bit close to the bottom of my "only in an emergency" list.

But there are basically 3 major mistakes, and yes I made one of them.

First: NOT understanding all the paper work, They hand you a pile of paper and you need to carefully read and fully understand each page.. I am not kidding when I say having a lawyer at your side might not be all that bad idea.

Second: Make sure you know where to go if something does not work.. Engine and chassis are often taken to an auto or truck store, not an RV store, Body and house, go to the RV store, ONE good place to buy an RV is Dick Gore RV in Richland Hill, GA off I-95,, You see, Their next door neighbor (I mean right next door, possibly shared driveway but I'm not sure) is Robert's Truck repair.. One stop repairing,

Third: Video Tape your delivery tour, Now in this I got lucky, Just as an example of things that can go wrong there are 4 fuse panels in this RV (And a few scattered fuses on top of that) 5 if you count the Rig-Runner I added.

I knew where 3 of them were... Then one day I noticed a box and said to myself "Wonder what this is" it was clearly designed to be easily opened and closed so I did,, Dang if it was not another fuse box (12 volt fuses and relays and breakers) in fact it is the main Chassis box.. The next day I blew one of its fuses. Had that happened before I found it I would have saved money on my next haircut or two (Not needed them having pulled it all out).
Old 11-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #35

Quote:
If you want my real opinion, if you are a dealership for any major brand, you should be able to handle serviicing what you sell. Boat dealers do it, motorcycle dealers do it, and car dealers do it. No excuses. It's not "over the top" to expect it.
Absolutely agree. If I buy a chevy and I have a warranty problem I expect the chevy dealer to fix it. If they have to sub out some body work to someone they have done business with, fine but it's their responsibility to make it good.

Years ago I bought a brand new Winnebago/VW camper. The VW dealer where I bought it from said they did not work on the Winnebago part of the camper. Later when looking for a VW dealer closer to home to work on the mechanical parts, only one of the two would even touch it. When I "upgraded" to a Winnebago Rialta, neither VW dealer would work on the VW parts. I had to find a local independent shop to do the required service.

If I buy a new mh from who cares who, I expect that at least while under warranty (all of them) the dealer be responsible for all repairs/warranty work, or at a minimum be my advocate when having to deal with the chassis manufacturer. I really don't want to hear that I have to deal with Carefree on an awning issue, or Atwood on a water heater problem . If the wh goes out under warranty, I would expect to take it to say CW (if that's where I bought it) and they fix it and then deal with Atwood over getting reimbursed.

If there is a mechanical issue with the Ford/MB/Freightliner chassis, I expect the dealer to arrange for the repair and help expedite the work. I realize this may not be the way it is, but why not?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camping World couldn't complete my Norcold recall correctly, do I really want them working on my engine or transmission?

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
As above, it is utterly and completely impractical for an RV dealership to maintain trained technicians, special tools, electronic diagnostic equipment, etc., for the drivetrain of every vehicle they sell and it's really kind of silly to expect it. The required investment is enormous even for dedicated dealers and it's doubtful that RV dealers could be approved as factory warranty stations in any event. Believe me, you're lucky that CW refused to service your Sprinter drivetrain issues... the very last thing you want is an untrained mechanic working on a modern diesel vehicle.
Valid point. However, CW should be the one making sure the problem is resolved. CW should have a relationship with a MB dealer to handle the warranty work for the MH's they sell, and expedite the service required. The worst situation is when, say Winnebago builds a mh based on the Sprinter chassis and as part of that build modifies the wiring/mechanics of the MB chassis and now something breaks. MB doesn't want to work on it because Winnie screwed it up. Winnie says it's a MB issue. Someone other than the buyer of the MH should be in charge of bringing Winnie and MB together to fix it, and I say that would be CW.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #38

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
....If there is a mechanical issue with the Ford/MB/Freightliner chassis, I expect the dealer to arrange for the repair and help expedite the work. I realize this may not be the way it is, but why not?
The why not is VOLUME. In the case of the Rialta, VW of America had stopped service training on the VW transporter. It had a very different engine than the Jettas, Beetles, and Golfs. (Rabbit) To have the shop train a tech, stock parts, and tools to work on them was far more expensive than just deny service.

In addition, if CW or any dealer took in your RV and then shipped it off to another dealer, who's liable if it's damaged, robbed, or the fix isn't right? Insurance has a lot to say on what shops do and won't do. Buying a car or truck, you expect to have ALL repairs done by the service dept. of the dealer. An RV is very different. The chassis is done by one manufacturer, the house and living systems by another. It's no different than buying a truck chassis and having a special use body put on the back. You wouldn't expect a Ford dealer fix your tow truck winch would you?

Bob & Donna
Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The why not is VOLUME. In the case of the Rialta, VW of America had stopped service training on the VW transporter. It had a very different engine than the Jettas, Beetles, and Golfs. (Rabbit) To have the shop train a tech, stock parts, and tools to work on them was far more expensive than just deny service.

A perfect example of why the dealer and mh manufacturer should have more skin in the game. So the dealer sells me a MH still under warranty and the chassis manufacturer's own service centers won't work on it. The dealer should have a list of places to take it for service instead of leaving the new owner on his own. And on an aside, the mh dealer should have a list of places you could get tires too as the ones on the Rialta were very hard to find.

In addition, if CW or any dealer took in your RV and then shipped it off to another dealer, who's liable if it's damaged, robbed, or the fix isn't right? Insurance has a lot to say on what shops do and won't do. Buying a car or truck, you expect to have ALL repairs done by the service dept. of the dealer. An RV is very different. The chassis is done by one manufacturer, the house and living systems by another. It's no different than buying a truck chassis and having a special use body put on the back. You wouldn't expect a Ford dealer fix your tow truck winch would you?
If I bought the Ford truck and then had a special purpose winch placed on it, then no the Ford dealer would not and should not get involved with a winch problem. But if the Ford dealer (Or an independent commercial truck dealership) advertised a new line of special purpose trucks built on a ford chassis that came with a winch as standard equipment, then I would expect the dealer to take the lead in getting it repaired should it need it. Would I expect the dealer to take my truck for me to the winch man? Perhaps not. But I would expect the dealer to have the relationship with the winch man and call on my behalf to make sure the "sub" work is handled quickly and completely. And to follow-up with me to make sure that I was pleased with the work.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If I bought the Ford truck and then had a special purpose winch placed on it, then no the Ford dealer would not and should not get involved with a winch problem. But if the Ford dealer (Or an independent commercial truck dealership) advertised a new line of special purpose trucks built on a ford chassis that came with a winch as standard equipment, then I would expect the dealer to take the lead in getting it repaired should it need it. Would I expect the dealer to take my truck for me to the winch man? Perhaps not. But I would expect the dealer to have the relationship with the winch man and call on my behalf to make sure the "sub" work is handled quickly and completely. And to follow-up with me to make sure that I was pleased with the work.
I agree.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #41

Who is Greg L. that,s suppose to be the CEO of Camping World? I was talking to a salesman today from CW and he checked his directory and could find this name.
2009 37ft Four Winds Magellan Ford V10:2011 Honda CRV Toad/2008 Keystone Sprinter
ewg1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewg1022 View Post
Who is Greg L. that,s suppose to be the CEO of Camping World? I was talking to a salesman today from CW and he checked his directory and could find this name.
If you were dealing with a Camping World employee, you might clue them in.....

Marcus Lemonis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marcus Lemonis is the President and CEO of Camping World.

Bob & Donna

Tags
camping