Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

Camping World

We purchased a new View. The Mercedes motor was having issues and the generator . The local Camping World in Panama City Fla has NO one to work on either. We purchased the Motor Home from Dothan Ala Camping World. Being told that the best reason to purchase from Camping World is because they have a Camping World most places, it can be worked on. Granted the View was more at Camping World but hey, saying it can be worked on anywhere was the buying point. They got the money and we got screwed ! So NO Camping World 4 total can fix the View, the Service Manger here said OH WELL we can't work on it. WE paid to have the engine fixed, even though it has a warranty, got to drive it. Now they stated we have to take the motorhome 6 hrs away to be fixed, that company said plan on 2 days in the shop. So 4 days to get the generator fixed. I asked if they would tow it . I was told I was only a generator...... Well We can't take off 4 days of work to get it fixed. Did I say he bought it brand new it is still under warranty. Camping World is the worst to back up a purchase.
PCcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #2

Would you expect a body shop do mechanical repairs to your car? I dont think so! So why would you expect a RV technician work on your engine? Makes little sense to me??? Take it to a Mercedes repair facility. They are the ones who know the motor and how to troubleshoot and repair it. CW can repair the RV parts. That is what they know.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:49 PM   #3

Welcome to iRV2. Not unusual to have a few problems to be worked out on a new RV. Dealers normally do not perform warranty work on engines because the engine is covered by the engine manufacturer. Look into local Mercedes dealer to inquire about getting warranty work. The generator is normally covered by that manufacturer. If it is an Onan then check with your local Onan or Cummins dealer. The House part of your RV is what Camping World will work on.

To get warranty work on my coach I drop it off 300 miles from home and come back when it's ready. Perhaps that approach will work for you.

Good luck on your work and again welcome.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:28 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
In most circumstances the manufacturer will authorize another facility to fix your issues. I called Ford once and they gave me a list of 3 or 4 possible locations within a 100 miles. Our local CW will fix the WBGO issues and have been very good about getting the authorizations and completing the repairs. When it was a Ford problem the local Ford garage (which didn't work on RV's) located a local shop then had a check cut o pay for the repairs.

I guess one has to kind of work with people if you want/need something done.

TeJay
Old 11-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just listening to this discussion makes me never want to buy a new motorhome with a manufafcturer's warranty on it. I'll stay with used and worry about where to take it on my own dime and save myself 40% upfront...

BTW, I would never take my motorhme to Camping World for any reason and we have one about 20 minutes away
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #6

Wow!! MB wouldn't fix your camper and Camping World wouldn't fix your MB. How hard is that, the chassis has always gone to the manufacturer. Would you expect Camping World to fix your car? I guess somebody should have pointed that one out to you before you got into this possisition. Good luck anyway.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Would you expect a body shop do mechanical repairs to your car? I dont think so! So why would you expect a RV technician work on your engine? Makes little sense to me??? Take it to a Mercedes repair facility. They are the ones who know the motor and how to troubleshoot and repair it. CW can repair the RV parts. That is what they know.
Really valid point and good advice.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV dealers do a very poor job of explaining Chassis warranty work vs. RV warranty work. MB should repair your chassis under warranty and CW should repair everything else. CW should have told you to take your MH to MB for engine warranty work. Does your View have a diesel or propane generator or something else? Sorry for some of the replies you received, I wasn't made aware of the Chassis vs RV warranty when I bought my first RV either.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #9

Off hand I do not think there are more than a hand full of dealers in the country who can sell you any brand of MH and do work on the engine/driveline. The best bet I am aware of is the local warranty truck shop for the brand you have.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club

Sorry about your issues, but your expectations of Camper World to have a trained technician for every part of every product they sell would be a bit over the top. They'd need a Mercedes Benz, Ford, Chevy, Cummins, and Caterpillar mechanic for the brands they sell. Much of the time the trained techs would be twiddling their thumbs. It would be nice if CW had competent techs in the house parts of most RVs, but expecting them to have service and parts for every engine/chassis is asking a bit much.

If the engine issues were covered under warranty, you should be able to get paid back for the work done. On the generator, check around, perhaps there is a closer small engine shop that could do the repairs, but check that costs will be covered. If not, you'll have to plan a 4 day trip, or take the RV and a car and return home while waiting repairs to be done.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #11

camping world

To et al and the OP. The dealer should at least have a resource and try to help direct you to someone who can fix your problem. That sort of dealer would be my hero. This forum is full of folks who have climbed this steep learning curve. I am one.

And, you can always depend that there will be a poster who goes on about buying new and yada yada. Which is not at all helpful.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

Probably a call to Winnebago would get you a referral to warranty stations for the engine and generator.

Seems SOP that the service manager at CW would have pointed out ways to get your rig fixed. Good luck.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCcamper1 View Post
We purchased a new View. The Mercedes motor was having issues and the generator . The local Camping World in Panama City Fla has NO one to work on either. We purchased the Motor Home from Dothan Ala Camping World. Being told that the best reason to purchase from Camping World is because they have a Camping World most places, it can be worked on. Granted the View was more at Camping World but hey, saying it can be worked on anywhere was the buying point. They got the money and we got screwed ! So NO Camping World 4 total can fix the View, the Service Manger here said OH WELL we can't work on it. WE paid to have the engine fixed, even though it has a warranty, got to drive it. Now they stated we have to take the motorhome 6 hrs away to be fixed, that company said plan on 2 days in the shop. So 4 days to get the generator fixed. I asked if they would tow it . I was told I was only a generator...... Well We can't take off 4 days of work to get it fixed. Did I say he bought it brand new it is still under warranty. Camping World is the worst to back up a purchase.
First I'd call manufacturer for assistance, I think know one believes post about CW'S service until they buy from them and ten it's to late.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
To et al and the OP. The dealer should at least have a resource and try to help direct you to someone who can fix your problem. That sort of dealer would be my hero. This forum is full of folks who have climbed this steep learning curve. I am one.

And, you can always depend that there will be a poster who goes on about buying new and yada yada. Which is not at all helpful.
If you want my real opinion, if you are a dealership for any major brand, you should be able to handle serviicing what you sell. Boat dealers do it, motorcycle dealers do it, and car dealers do it. No excuses. It's not "over the top" to expect it.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping