Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Maybe they are franchises. McDonald's has corporate owned stores and franchises owned by individuals. Maybe CW has the same business model.
Yeah that makes sense. That's probably what is going on exactly.

Regards,
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
I know.

Just talked to Rick at the service center. Our appointment is July 31st.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1487265437.579325.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	152070
This tire blow out has been going on for 14 months, fix something then mess something else up.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Well camping world bought out another dealer RV WORLD of Georgia.
Well this news sucks. I bought a Grand Design TT from RV World of GA last fall...thankfully I have not had to have any warranty work done but felt good that a GD dealer was close by. Now with this news I wonder what is going to happen at RV World of GA. They have a huge facility where they are located while the CW store in Oakwood is just....well let's just say it's there. We'll just have to see how this plays out I guess.
Krazy Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:44 PM   #18

Let me address the two different name issue. Chances are when Camping World made their deal, they purchased each dealership's corporation. Most dealerships being bought out will sell the assets--not the whole corporation. So often, hidden liabilities will pop up, and I would never purchase anything but the assets within any corporation.

Maintaining each corporation entity would isolate the C/W holding company from liabilities as each dealership corporation legally stands on their own.

Many corporations go by D/B/A (doing business as) names and it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I would think that RV World would be taking on some new base brands of equipment. Look for Grand Design to pull out as they refuse to do business with Camping World. Maybe there's a big Winnebego dealer in the metro area that'll be taking them. Otherwise, there's a dealer north of Dalton--pretty hard to get to from NE Atlanta/Gainesville area.

I use C/W Oakwood for minor parts purchases from time to time. Their parts department personnel are a pretty unmotivated bunch. I never cared for the dealerships' wholegoods salesmen either.

I bought my Grand Design fifth wheel from Tennessee RV in Knoxville. Their dealership used to have a Camping World sign out front. Come to find out, the parts department space was rented by Camping World. The service department personnel were employed by Tennessee RV. And the new and used recreational vehicles were owned and sold by Tennessee RV. Camping World later put another dealership across town, and gave the parts business back to Tennessee RV--and their signs were changed.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

Mike Jones Ford dealership in Toccoa, GA carries the Winnebago line of travel trailers. They still have the new car dealership mindset about customer service too. I've been by there a couple of times and they seem like pretty good people.

Mike Jones Winnebago | New dealership in Eastanollee, GA 30538
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Let me address the two different name issue. Chances are when Camping World made their deal, they purchased each dealership's corporation. Most dealerships being bought out will sell the assets--not the whole corporation. So often, hidden liabilities will pop up, and I would never purchase anything but the assets within any corporation.

Maintaining each corporation entity would isolate the C/W holding company from liabilities as each dealership corporation legally stands on their own.

Many corporations go by D/B/A (doing business as) names and it's nothing out of the ordinary.

I would think that RV World would be taking on some new base brands of equipment. Look for Grand Design to pull out as they refuse to do business with Camping World. Maybe there's a big Winnebego dealer in the metro area that'll be taking them. Otherwise, there's a dealer north of Dalton--pretty hard to get to from NE Atlanta/Gainesville area.

I use C/W Oakwood for minor parts purchases from time to time. Their parts department personnel are a pretty unmotivated bunch. I never cared for the dealerships' wholegoods salesmen either.

I bought my Grand Design fifth wheel from Tennessee RV in Knoxville. Their dealership used to have a Camping World sign out front. Come to find out, the parts department space was rented by Camping World. The service department personnel were employed by Tennessee RV. And the new and used recreational vehicles were owned and sold by Tennessee RV. Camping World later put another dealership across town, and gave the parts business back to Tennessee RV--and their signs were changed.
That's a great explanation. It makes perfect sense, and presents a clear picture of things as a whole.

[emoji106]
W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #21

I'm fairly sure they were doing franchises as Meyers became part of CW then split back off. It could be that they stopped. It could also be that CW is always open to picking up a dealer in every market they are not already in. Considering that Marcus has stated that he makes more money off the mailing list than the dealership he may be paying more than anyone who just sells units to make the mortgage payment.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camping World wants to expand to the Richmond, Va market so they just announced they are buying a large RV dealer in Ashland, VA, McGeorge Rolling Hills RV. The only time I ever visited McGeorge it was a disappointment and I've heard they do not have a great reputation. However, with CW taking over, a crappy reputation will just get more crappy, IMO.

We bought our current rig from Tom Johnson's in Concord, NC. They were a great dealership. Most everyone to whom I have spoken since the CW purchase of TJ's says it has gone significantly downhill.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Camping World wants to expand to the Richmond, Va market so they just announced they are buying a large RV dealer in Ashland, VA, McGeorge Rolling Hills RV. The only time I ever visited McGeorge it was a disappointment and I've heard they do not have a great reputation. However, with CW taking over, a crappy reputation will just get more crappy, IMO.

That is doubling down on disaster. I was shocked when newmar gave exclusivity to McGeorge a couple of years ago. They are awful.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #24

I hadn't heard about mcgeorge going to cw. I bought my fuzion th from there two years ago...great price but their service sucks. I was surprised they started carrying newmar a year or so ago and wondered if service would be different if I bought a ventana le from them....
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping