Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Camping World and the PDI

Well, as a total newbie I really didn't know what to expect, outside of what I have read on various posts. As it turned out, it was/wasn't what I expected.

The salesman (I had a personable, pretty knowledgeable salesman) greets you and turns you over to the ???? Walk through guy? He also was very nice and knew his job, which was to do walk throughs and keep the lot in order. He spent a lot of time going over the mh, inside and out, and answered all questions.

My Question: Where is the spare tire? My Question: How old are the tires? My Comment: These tires are showing come cracking. I made a few other questions/comments for which the walk through guy had to get the information elsewhere. It felt like he was the "messenger" as in "don't shoot the messenger." The answers were not what I expected or wanted to hear.

Anyway, there was no checklist of any sort that would indicate that anything was checked out by any department or individual at Camping World. I was given a form to sign off on which the walk through guy wrote "No Issues."

In addition, it was obvious that he hadn't opened or checked certain areas or checked for certain things. Example: he didn't know there were two house batteries. Example: He looked at the hot water heater, told me how often it should be drained/cleaned, and then told me that he could see that it had'nt been done lately and didn't know if it was ever done. He had no service records or owner's manuals.

And, while the CARFAX showed no problems, this 2009 mh came up as a 2008. My mechanic also said that according to the vin # it is a 2008. Long story short, the chassis was built in 2007; the chassis and house (the mh) were first titled, registered and leased privately in 2008; Camping World then (bought?) registered and leased it in 2008; and they sold it to me as a 2009 model. "Model" is the operative word.

But, the mh is clean, the price was right, the floorplan is what I wanted, and I just caved. Even after I knew this place had a BBB rating of a "D" I went ahead with the sale.

As I (attempted) to drive off the lot, the mh wouldn't start--bad battery. The walk through guy then said to me, "Needs a new battery, they should have given you one, I don't know why they didn't." He took care of the battery, and then he and the salesman offered to get me a deal on new tires at the salesman's buddy's tireshop.

So, the mh looks real nice sitting outside of my house; I just hope that on Monday when I head up the road to a local county campground that all goes well. I have real mixed feelings at this time...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on your new RV...I think. I hope it all turns out well for you, though it seems there were a few red flags in that process. When we took delivery of our motorhome, the salesman also turned us over to the "walk thru guy" who explained all the systems, etc. However the salesman did check in with us a few times to make sure all was going smoothly. Good luck, and enjoy your new RV!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Always take your own PDI form to check off as you go. If it isn't up to your standards, don't sign anything until they fix it. Camping World dealers have been getting a worse and worse reputation on the units they sell. I guess on your PDI they didn't even start the unit? Wow.
I tried to buy a camper from the Camping World in Roanoke, VA. They had it listed as the wrong model. Funny, the model they had it listed as was two steps nicer and bigger than the actual unit they had. I took the VIN and called the manufacturer and confirmed what it was. Once I told the salesmen that he stopped calling me back or emailing me back. Heck, the sales manager wouldn't even call me back after that. Two weeks later they sold that unit still listed as the wrong model and $20k over the proper list price. Oh well, lesson learned.
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #4

Congrats on the new camper. Hopefully, they did include the 'package' with the Owner's Manuals and all the systems manuals and materials that will help in understanding how everything works. Those materials would be the first 'must reads'...after two years I'm always into that box-O-info.

Those tires should only be 4-5 years old. I'd take them down to a trusted tire dealer and have them take a look-see before arbitrarily getting rid of them. Good luck with your new toy. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The true year of your MH will be on the title.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The true year of your MH will be on the title.
Not necessarily!! Some states do NOT follow Federal Regulations and instead register the vehicle using the VIN of the chassis. The Federal Regulations require that it be registered by the year assigned by the motorhome manufacturer. When I get my laptop setup I'll post a link to the RVIA .pdf about it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Mr_D--thanks. I look forward to what you find.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #8

When I had my pdi, I asked why there was one button for the front jacks and two buttons for the rear. Guy says there was only one front jack. Wrong. He also failed to show me that there were three sets of seat belts under the fold out couch/bed.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmesaaz View Post
Mr_D--thanks. I look forward to what you find.
OK, here it is. I keep a copy on one of my servers since the RVIA one seems to be unavailable some of the time. The RVIA file is dated 2009 so it's been in effect for a while and still some states do it wrong.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:37 AM   #10

Camping World has some great puzzles. I would buy a puzzle with complete confidence from Camping World.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not at all impressed with CW, I bought a fifth wheel from them and after I got home I put it up for winter. In the spring ready to go camping I lifted the burner cover and one whole burner was missing. On recent recall work on the motorhome it was like talking to a car salesmen, trying to sell me everything in the store. Not impressed at all.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping