Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #1

Camping World... beware

We are very disappointed with Camping World. Recently we called the Byron store and ordered a Saf-T-Plus steering stablizer to be installed by Camping World in Byron Ga and were told the order would arrive the next Friday. We received a call on that Friday from a man that said that our stablizer had been received so we set up an appt. for the next Friday to be be there at 8:30 am (we got up at ...5:30 am to get there by 8:30 because we are 1 1/2 hrs away) for installation. When we arrived at the store and checked in we were told that the call didn't come from that store and that all of the order was not in. Evidently the story is that there is some type of marketing person (Jason) at Camping World Corporate that checks the online system and if he sees something in process he then calls the customer and proceeds to finalize the purchase and set an appt. This person does not check with the store to see if the complete order is in. Obviously we were livid because we had driven our motorhome (we all know gas is not cheap) all the way over there for nothing. This is a very poor way to do business. The staff at the store apologized and tried to find the parts locally but could not. The staff said that they are having a real problem with this happening and have complained to their management but the poor business practice has not stopped.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:54 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
Did they at least offer to reimburse you for fuel? Or, they must have a local arrangement wherein they pay less at the pump than the public does and they could have sent you there to refuel.

While it sounds like they were attempting to make calls to find the parts locally, I wonder if that is actually fully the case. I don't know Byron, but here in the Phoenix area (home of many "RV Rows") they probably could find the parts.

I might think twice before returning to them. BUT, I am a TOTAL RV rookie and may be completely off base in my thinking.

Good luck!
kmesaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Would be nice to see a CW representative here on the forums to address issues like this. Maybe you should forward a link to CW corporate. Seems like they'd be interested.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe contact Good Sam Action-line, since they are together now, maybe something could be done that way.

I have to pay for my mistakes, why shouldn't businesses

I've had problems with that same store in the past and would only have their service dept. work on something if they was the only one around.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #5

Thanks to all that have responded, we have contacted Camping World Corporate and was encouraged to do so by the staff at the Byron Store. We agree that there should be some type of reimbursement or compensation offered but that hasn't happened at this point. Also important will be a review of their processes since the Camping World staff said that this has happened many times before. Thanks for the idea to include Good Sam, we are members, so they should have a vested interest.
One of our issues here in central Ga. is that we don't have a good reputable place to take our motor home for improvements, repairs etc. We would like to develop a good relationship with a shop that can provide the service that we need. We have tried a local shop but they don't even return calls and don't have a good reputation among the local RV community. We would have liked to have done that with Camping World in Byron, although their store is an hour and a half away it would have been worth it for dependable workmanship and service.
Daylake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bob and Shilene I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with Byron CW. I have used them several times myself but have always had good results. There is another forum which you may be familiar with that is put on by CW. The head guy has his email on the site and usually responds fairly quickly to problems presented. If you dont know the site just email me and I will forward the address to you. I believe he will get the problem corrected for you. He replies often to what is posted and seems to be on top of things.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV service seems to be the biggest bugaboo that we have which is a sorry thing to have to say. I have had such poor experience with the service offered by local dealers that I have driven 1,800 miles one way to the factory to have major work done. Camping World seems to have a poor reputation for doing work competently. I have had the best luck on some items with mobile mechanics. There doesn't seem to be much to say except "Get used to it."
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hope you did a post on www.rvservicereviews.com to warn off others.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonine View Post
Bob and Shilene I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with Byron CW. I have used them several times myself but have always had good results. There is another forum which you may be familiar with that is put on by CW. The head guy has his email on the site and usually responds fairly quickly to problems presented. If you dont know the site just email me and I will forward the address to you. I believe he will get the problem corrected for you. He replies often to what is posted and seems to be on top of things.
Why not share it with all of us? I would think it would be of benefit to all including Camping World.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One suggestion.. Check out some local (to you) campgrounds.. Most of them will know the names of the local "on site" RV Service outfits.

Now chat with a few people in the park.. The will know the best ones more than likely.

Where I am now (Upstate SC) there are a couple of good ones.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnshirlene View Post
We would like to develop a good relationship with a shop that can provide the service that we need. We would have liked to have done that with Camping World in Byron, although their store is an hour and a half away it would have been worth it for dependable workmanship and service.
Why isn't CW in Byron still a viable option? Doesn't sound like they did anything wrong. I would just make sure to always speak to them directly.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #12

Stuff happens, and it happens to all of us! So just because something happened to YOU, you post a "beware" message?

Good god, y0u must have a lot of stress in your life. I'm not getting on the bandwagon of support for this!

All IMHO!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnshirlene View Post
Thanks to all that have responded, we have contacted Camping World Corporate and was encouraged to do so by the staff at the Byron Store. We agree that there should be some type of reimbursement or compensation offered but that hasn't happened at this point. Also important will be a review of their processes since the Camping World staff said that this has happened many times before. Thanks for the idea to include Good Sam, we are members, so they should have a vested interest.
One of our issues here in central Ga. is that we don't have a good reputable place to take our motor home for improvements, repairs etc. We would like to develop a good relationship with a shop that can provide the service that we need. We have tried a local shop but they don't even return calls and don't have a good reputation among the local RV community. We would have liked to have done that with Camping World in Byron, although their store is an hour and a half away it would have been worth it for dependable workmanship and service.
How do you know that you can't still have a good relationship with that store? It doesn't appear that your scheduling mishap was THEIR fault. Perhaps in the future you should work directly with store personnel, and be sure to call and verify before taking "Jason's" word for it. Sorry for your aggravation.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
The email that CEO mleonis gave out on the other forum is as follows: mlemonis@camping world.com. He regularly reads and responds to emails on the other forum and from what I see there, he tries to make things right. Hope this is helpful.

Tags
camping