Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #1

Camping World Changing Names

I had read a few articles earlier this year that camping world was planning on re-opening old Gander Mountain stores as “Gander RV”. They stated this was to enlarge their footprint in new markets. Well apparently that plan may be changing, as the store in Saint Augustine has taken down all the Camping World signage and replaced it with Gander RV. The people working there said they will no longer be identified as camping world.

I find it strange that they feel they will get better brand recognition with an old bankrupt company’s name versus the name they have been building for what seems to be decades now. I guess all the negative reviews must to finally pushed them over the edge :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

There was talk in a couple of industry rags about CW re-branding last spring and then CW announced they were going to rename to Gander late last summer IIRC. Camping World for better or worse only has brand recognition among RV'ers while Gander Mtn has/had better name recognition among the outdoor-ing general public with a broad range of outdoor equipment. Looks like CW is trying to diversify to float themselves through the next downturn.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #3

The new 2019 annual Camping World Master catalog has 20 pages of firearms, ammunition, fishing gear, boating stuff and other outdoor gear...
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Put lipstick on a pig and it is still a pig.

Yep, CW has a pretty rough reputation now, they're trying to re-brand to shake the stench of CW. If they get rid of Lemonis they may stand a chance.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
They should rename the place Pets are US and some RV Stuff. Last time I went into our local CW, I thought I was in a pet store. One third of the store was pet products.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #7

Here is my disclaimer......I don't know if any of the following is true.

I bought a 2016 Bounder gas on my road over the summer of 2015 in Harrisburg PA. Camping World trading in my failure of a diesel coach.
I had the usual new shake down stuff when I got back to Phoenix. Carefree patio awning wasn't working and somehow the HDMI plug was separated from the DVD player... plug was in but wire was yanked out. So I contacted my local CW and was told "We dont carry Fleetwoods." I was then told that CW is essentially owned by 2 separate entity's. One owns everything east of the Mississippi river and another owns everything on the West. The owner of the east side contracts with Fleetwood and the owner of the west doesn't. My Phoenix dealer didn't have any new Fleetwoods on the lot and they told me we really dont work on those but because you bought it at CW.... we will. They had to keep going back and forth with Harrisburg on parts and payments but eventually it was fixed.

Like I said this was told to me, maybe its all true... maybe only parts.... maybe none of it.

I guess you could go online and search different CW websites to see what brands they have in inventory and see what the differences are.

Just interesting to think about with this posts topic.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM   #8

It's been in Lemonis' plan for a couple of years to re-brand some of CW's operations as Gander Outdoors, mostly by keeping the Gander Mountain locations and remodeling the property to accommodate RV sales and... uh... "service."

He was the high bidder at the Gonner Mountain fire sale, he's gonna use them somehow.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
J_T

I was told by a Gander Outdoors employee that my local store (Mentor OH) will have RV's on the lot by July 2019. I see they already have an area ready for such a thing. I trust the guy, he's family.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Yep, CW has a pretty rough reputation now, they're trying to re-brand to shake the stench of CW. If they get rid of Lemonis they may stand a chance.

Agreed. Marcus is the problem and the cause of that strange odor.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

There were some post on this FB site about the change over.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/177412136120077/
Old 04-16-2019, 11:47 AM   #12

All I ever read is people ragging on Camping World. From the reviews I would never use them for service. However I have been in a few of their stores and I'm happy that they are around. Not sure where else I could go if they were to disappear.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
All I ever read is people ragging on Camping World. From the reviews I would never use them for service. However I have been in a few of their stores and I'm happy that they are around. Not sure where else I could go if they were to disappear.
Hi Gary-

Most of the CW complaints revolve around RV sales and service; the merchandise side receives less criticism.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

I would never buy from a RV from CW, don't like the sales pressure. I do not like to buy RV parts from them either, but when you need it you need it no matter who has the part handy and in stock. I have never used their service department nor do I think I will ever need to since I would rather pay a local to take care of it and within my time line not CW timeline.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, camping world