Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 03:06 AM   #1

Camping World closed Churchville NY store

Anyone know why?
Jimmy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #2

They were part of the Meyers operation that started in Caledonia. The folks running Meyers moved the sales operation to Churchville and bought Bath. Somewhere in there they got into a franchise deal with CW. They may have also acquired other stores as I see them associated with Buffalo, Syracuse and some other places. When we were down in Bath in August they told us they were dropping the Camping World franchise in a few weeks. Yesterday I got an email from Bath and she got one from Churchville directing us to go to Buffalo or Syracuse. So far all the web links take us to Syracuse. That includes the Meyers links but they have a Good Sam ad. We are thinking of driving over to Churchville in a few days to see what is going on if they do not pop up a web presence.

FWIW We were down in Bath last week looking at a couple of Newmars at Wilkins. The salesman there told us that this is the time of year when the manufacturers and dealers get together over next years stock. Not sure what the old Meyers operation will have. Wilkins is located next to both old Meyers operations and they have the Forest River lineup. Not sure if Thor thinks they are shrinking their number of dealers by cutting out the lower volume ones or if the cost of keeping the CW franchise exceeded it's perceived value and the stores will still be associated with Thor directly. It will be interesting to watch.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Because it should be, as all other CW's. ,
Old 10-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy D View Post
Anyone know why?
Could it be because someone at 'corporate' found that the Churchville store was doing quality work, (and/or treating their customers fairly), which was making all of the other CW stores look bad?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #5

Well it takes 2 boobs to take this thread away from getting good info.

Hope you guys are proud acting like immature brats.
Us out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I went down there today after work. All of the accessories sections are gone. They told me that they should be up and running by Tuesday if i understood the gentlemen correctly. Some rebranding/ remodel in progress
Old 10-30-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I need to clarify, inventory for accessories will coming back in. Should be about the same amount of stuff give or take Meyers preferences
Old 10-30-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

IMHO good news. I hope Bath is in the same shape. They were by far the better store in my book. Churchville is an hour closer but bath had their act together better. Maybe without the CW umbrella they can get sorted out.

The other thing that will be interesting is what they push for product. From conversations there most of their business was new buyers looking at low price point equipment. They were not interested in the better quality stuff because they thought it did not sell. Wilkins has Newmar and the Forest River lineup so they do offer better quality lineup. Perhaps going alone gets Meyers out from under the Thor/CW linkage. That is probably half of CW's problem.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

Not meaning to stray too far off topic, but I'm surprised that Wilkins still had Newmar at all. I thought that Newmar had completely gone to RVOne in Buffalo and Albany.

I'll go by CW in Hamburg next week and see if anything changed.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
When Camping World in Hamburg, NY closed suddenly, our coach at the time, a Fleetwood Southwind, that was in their shop, had to be picked up and driven to Churchville to complete repairs. Their employees, took turns charging gas on our gas cards, left in a cabinet, each day, after work for a period of a week. We worked closely with a detective from Rochester and the State Police Barracks near the facility. The Troopers stated that many tv's, stereo systems were being stolen from coaches in their lots, waiting for repair. A few of the gas credit card companies do not have fraud protection to keep their pricing low. Churchville Camping World..good riddance to bad rubbish!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:13 AM   #11

It was a franchise. Same folks new name. Probably back to Meyers. They might have had Buffalo before they cycled owners.

FWIW I wonder if part of the split was Meyers sold Syracuse and Buffalo to Camping World. At one time they were linked on some of the web directories.

FWIW 2 Wilkins in Bath is the home store. That is far enough from Buffalo and Albany that I do not see a conflict. The interesting thing is that they have had the location in Bath for a long time down the street from CW. You can see them from the expressway. They picked up a former car dealer that was in front of the Churchville store from the perspective of anyone on Rt 36.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #12

Myers did have the location in Hamburg before they became Camping World. When they became Camping World they purchased land closer to the Thruway and opened up a large dealership and service area. They subsequently closed for about a year or two and then reopened again as Camping World. There never seems to be a lot of activity at that store.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:52 AM   #13
WDW

I think you're correct that last winter and the spring into early summer CW Buffalo was kind of on the downside. However since the decision was made to take it over at the corporate level and spin Rochester and bath off back to Myers, I've noticed that they have more than tripled their inventory and in their work yard seems to be packed every time I go there!

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I truly hope that the " immature 2 boobs" statement was not aimed at me. We had a bad experience, as stated, with that facility. I do believe that I have the freedom of speech, as do we all.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping