Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I do buy from CW occasionally when items are on sale or when I'm near one of their locations and need something quick. I would NOT use their service department unless it was an emergency situation and there were no other shops available!
XX3
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
I also hove bought items when on sale, but don't use CW as a regular service or parts source. The internet provides many parts alternatives to CW. The stories posted on iRV2 about folks getting damaged by service mess ups and lack of follow through on sales of RVs makes me wonder why Lemonis doesn't apply all his business sense and energies into fixing his OWN business. Could it be he's so involved in his reality shows of fixing other businesses he doesn't have time to monitor his own? The wide disparity of service experiences point to a business lacking proper overview and not holding to their published ideals.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:06 AM   #17

TMZ..........'The Profit'............Marcus Lemonis...............REALITY NEWS/SHOW/STAR

All belongs in one place
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

TMZ does not have a stellar reputation for getting a story right.
CW sells a lot of consignment RV's, yes, they do not clean them until they are bought. When we bought our MH from them, on consignment, it had stuff in it from the-then current owner. After we bought it they completely detailed the MH, removed everything that was not part of the MH.
That part of CW- the sales dept, we liked. Service dept, not so much; they have so much business they appear to be overwhelmed, with a months-long backlog of work.
REMEMBER! When you make an appt. for your RV with the CW service dept. you made an appt to drop it off, not for work to begin. The local CW service dept has only one really good, experienced RV technician. I've been there while our MH was worked on, and he had 3 or 4 units in-progress, at the same time.
Of course when someone comes in off the road, they try to do repairs ASAP and get them back on the road, which IMO is a good thing.

BTW, the term "haters" is so often shouted about anyone who doesn't think like them, I'm beginning to dislike them(those who shout "hater") for being so childish, it's just another form of bullying.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

BTW, the term "haters" is so often shouted about anyone who doesn't think like them, I'm beginning to dislike them(those who shout "hater") for being so childish, it's just another form of bullying.
Ray, I started the thread with the term "Camping World Haters" sort of tongue in cheek to get attention. It worked. There are many Camping World locations, some (like the unidentified one you experienced) may be good, but others are pretty bad. I recall a thread about a new rooftop A/C install that cut through rafters and ruined the structural integrity of the owner's camper. Other horror stories, along with stories of praise for their experiences with CW service makes me think you hold your breath and roll the dice with CW.

I've received pledges of business improvement from Marcus Lemonis due to my membership in Good Sam. I didn't even know he was a 'reality star who rehab struggling businesses,' never saw it or have interest to see it. Camping World recently bought out our local RV dealer, Tom Raper, and I see CW is buying up other RV dealers around the country.

If they could hold to the ideals Lemonis says he holds to in his public statements, it would be a good thing. Unfortunately, enough bad experiences keep popping up I feel that might not be the case.

The posters who attack the messenger (TMZ) seems to be a common tactic especially in Presidential politics. I have searched and not found this story from any other outlets except TMZ, which is suspicious, I apologize if it's not true. The business name 'RV Sales' is so generic Google links to every RV sales lot and doesn't show a business by that name.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #20

I didn't mean it personally Bob, sorry it came across that way. All too often CEO's and board of directors do not know what is happening outside their boardrooms. Witness to that is the TV show "undercover boss".
Now if we could get Marcus to take part in the show, things might change in his service departments.
When I have asked about the ridiculous service dept. wait times, the reply is always "we can't hire enough technicians" or "we have limited service bays". Well, the answer to that is higher starting wages, and, build more service bays if demands justify the expense; IMO, you either meet the demands of business or die on the vine-so to speak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #21

Quote:

I agree. A childish waste of time.

Shop where you want, and if you aren't pleased, don't shop there anymore
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #22

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I didn't mean it personally Bob, sorry it came across that way. All too often CEO's and board of directors do not know what is happening outside their boardrooms. Witness to that is the TV show "undercover boss".
Now if we could get Marcus to take part in the show, things might change in his service departments.
When I have asked about the ridiculous service dept. wait times, the reply is always "we can't hire enough technicians" or "we have limited service bays". Well, the answer to that is higher starting wages, and, build more service bays if demands justify the expense; IMO, you either meet the demands of business or die on the vine-so to speak.
Ray, I didn't take it personally. On your observation that they should pay higher wages and build more service bays, I agree. They surely can earn enough on installing what they sell and repairs to RVs they could expand. Of course good business sense doesn't seem to be common in the RV industry. When I read that Tiffin has 53 or more service bays and over 120 'camping' spots at their Red Bay, AL plant I wonder why they don't have a few more inspectors to catch issues before the RV is taken from the plant after construction. It really speaks to expecting the first owner to do the quality control that the manufacturer should have done in the first place.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181
When I read that Tiffin has 53 or more service bays and over 120 'camping' spots at their Red Bay, AL plant I wonder why they don't have a few more inspectors to catch issues before the RV is taken from the plant after construction. It really speaks to expecting the first owner to do the quality control that the manufacturer should have done in the first place.
Wow!! Interesting. That is one huge place!!
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
Wow!! Interesting. That is one huge place!!
The bottom line is that it's cheaper to get customers to bring in Tiffin units to Red Bay than pay $110 per labor hour to dealerships around the country. It's a win-win deal since Tiffin gets repairs done right the first time, and they can fix'em for 1/2 or less than they'd pay a dealer to do the repairs.

As far as CW goes, if they screw up, send an email to Marcus at RV.net. He has a place asking for customer feedback. But be sure you're documented and that you mention specific employees names. And if you have great service experience, email them with that info.

CW will not improve without customer feedback. Heck, they may not improve even with that info. I just know that if CW was my dealership, I'd be kicking some a$$es.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:54 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The bottom line is that it's cheaper to get customers to bring in Tiffin units to Red Bay than pay $110 per labor hour to dealerships around the country. It's a win-win deal since Tiffin gets repairs done right the first time, and they can fix'em for 1/2 or less than they'd pay a dealer to do the repairs.

CW will not improve without customer feedback. Heck, they may not improve even with that info. I just know that if CW was my dealership, I'd be kicking some a$$es.
I wouldn't call it a 'win-win' for the customer. Plunk down top dollar for a new unit and then have to make a pilgrimage back to the manufacturer??? The 'repairs' would be unnecessary if things were installed AND INSPECTED before the factory. Nice that the factory gets a second crack at building the unit at a reduced labor cost, but the poor owner...... They've been disappointed that there new RV isn't perfect and they bear the cost and time to take it to Alabama to be fixed. Who pays the fuel and mileage costs?? Oh yeah, they only pay $10 a night in Camp Tiffin waiting in line for repairs.

I'm not singling out Tiffin in this, all the RV manufacturers seem to do the same sort of thing. And they're such great trip destinations. Elkhart, IN, Nappanee, IN, Forest City, IA. Places on my bucket list for camping experiences!!

What you said about Camping World not improving without feedback, wonder if it will work with the RV manufacturers???

Bob & Donna
Old 12-29-2015, 05:46 AM   #26

I had a bad experience from the service dept. at CW in Mesa, AZ. 3yrs. ago. I swore off them at that time. Well last wed. I went to the CW just south of Myrtle Beach to just buy a couple of fluorescent bulbs. When I got to the cashier, the girl started in on why I should get a CW credit card. I politely declined, but that didn't deter her. She just kept on with it until I firmly said...NO! Then a guy walking by, a salesman I think, started in with the sales pitch. Again, but this time more forcibly I said...Hell no! It just reaffirmed my opinion of CW.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #27

I made the mistake of going to the CW here in Savannah yesterday to get Onan approved items for my generator. Non-member price for a spark plug a mere $13.32, for the pleasure of being a member, $11.99. Later at a Cummins service center was told price there was $3.34.
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 AM   #28

I've used CW service on several occasions - 1 for oil change, no problem and good pricing - 1 for repair to an unresponsive bedroom slide, replaced motor quickly - and 1 for repair to the same bedroom slide again, CW tech said he would have to 'drill in from the outside slide trim' in order to get to the motor to replace it, NO WAY. I finally got Thor to send me a replacement motor and installed it myself, with NO DRILLING!

In essence, like with ANY service center, it has mainly to do with their techs, experience, and desire to really figure out how to best resolve a problem.

I do visit CW stores a lot, as they seem to be the easiest to locate, and you pretty much know what they have.
I do HATE the constant 'would you like to renew your membership for the next 100 years' requests at EVERY checkout! My answer is NO!!!!!! Please stop asking. Period.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping