Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Camping World is on a tear

They just announced the acquisition of another RV dealership in my area. That's two in the past few months. It's like Walmart taking over all of the mom and pop shops. I don't like it. At all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

Amazon is beating Walmart if that helps.

Camping World has the "potential" for being a good thing for us rv'ers IF they model all of the stores after their Richmond IN. Store.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
I no longer purchase anything or have any service done by them. Over charge for all work. Had a $1300 roof maintenance done. Spent 3 hours doing it! Almost $435 per hour! But the clincher was when I had a my necklace stolen from my bedroom when all they were supposed to do is wash the outside! What was anyone doing in my bedroom?

Would not use them ever again for ANYTHING!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:45 AM   #4

I've never purchased anything from them , way over priced .
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

They will buy themselves out of business I live within 3 miles of one and never purchase anything from them.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Small items in the store seem ok but every time I'm in there I get hustled countless times to purchase a warranty or road service contract.
Also, I priced a Blue Ox Trucenter steering system there last week. They gave me a "clearance price" of 1500 installed because they are no longer going to sell them. I found them online as cheap as 880 dollars plus 200 for install. That's some clearance.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
While there are lots of negative comments on the net, every time I drive past the San Bernardino, CA store the parking lot and service bays are full. This location doesn't even have a sales lot.

Fred
Old 03-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #8

Camping World is on a tear

We've bought two trailers from different CWs, both good deals and we were treated very well both times. While on a lengthy trip we pulled into the Katy, TX CW at 4:00 PM and bought a new mattress on the spot and they had us back on our way in about an hour. While we don't buy everything we need from CW, we have been happy with our purchases and the services done on our trailer so far. In fact, we had a couple of minor warranty issues with our latest trailer that I didn't even care about, but the CW service rep talked me into letting them take care of the issues and they were taken care of promptly. We are also Good Sam Elite members and have both Road, Travel and all our vehicles insured through them (at very good rates). Now having said all that we've never needed had a claim, so time will tell. In the meantime we've been very satisfied and happy with the CWs we have done any type of interaction with.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
CW Bakersfield, CA

I needed work on my Sydney Outback FW. The black tank had ruptured and needed replacing. I had purchased the unit from the RV dealer who had been bought out by CW. I was concerned as to what service I would receive.

I was given an estimate, a time schedule and a pick up date. They called part way through and told me what they had found once the tank was on the floor. The estimate was approved and I picked up the unit on the day promised. I was pleasantly surprised with my experience with them.

I would use them again.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #10

I suspect CW is going to be like any other major chain store -- only as good as the personnel at that particular store. We've bought from the North Little Rock, Arkansas, store and had slow service until recently. I'd say it's no coincidence that the service improved vastly when most of the staff, including store management, was replaced.

I do agree that the price for some of the service is stunning But if I can't pay the freight, I'll learn to do it myself.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Their Catalog is usually updated on most all that is avaliable on the market. If I see something that I need or want. I google the item and then make the best deal based on what I find might be CW and then again maybe someone else. Drive safe Richard
Old 03-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just read on a Good Sam Chapter web site that they bought McGeorge RV north of Richmond, VA. Wow. I don't have any CW's close to where I live. When I have visited them in other areas their stores look nice but their prices are a bit high. I guess that's the price you pay for convenience.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #13

We've actually seen the reverse. Two Camping World stores in Western NY have reverted back to the original owner. Both the Churchville and Bath stores are now Meyers rather than CW. Camping World had closed their Hamburg Store but reopened it a couple of years ago. They seem to be trying to figure out where and what they want to be.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After having a not-too-good experience with their service department, I won't use them again.

But, I do buy things from their store. I am a GS member and get their discount. I last shopped there two days ago and got the discount and with a $10 coupon I got in the mail, the total of $34 went down to $24.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping, camping world