Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My impressions that I have gotten from here in time, is that I would only use CW as a very very last resort.
When I'm on the road and need a fix I look for a local RV repair shop and use them. So far I've been lucky with these results and would highly recommend any of the shops that I have used in this manor.
I have a local shop that does all my work and I wouldn't go anywhere else.
Just my thoughts!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #30

I priced some items at our local CW and then found same items in rv shops cheaper and bought them there. I'd be afraid to trust their fees to inspect anything. Especially when other shops don't charge me a fee and then do the work at reasonable rates. I guess I don't fit the criteria for sucker at CW . I keep right on driving past their driveways without looking.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAU MAU View Post
My local Camping World in New Hampshire is so bad it actually forced me learn how to install and fix things myself.

Thanks CW!
, Wouldn't take my coach there again on a bet.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
Fist off, want to thank one of the members as they advised me to post my rant on the RV.net site which is owned by Good Sam/Camping World. You know who you are

Wanted to post an update. Shortly after I made the original post, I received a PM from a rep for their rapid response team. I was asked to contact then which I did. They took my info and forwarded my dis-satisfaction to the service manager in Golden, I believe his name is Dick. I explained my situation to him and he apologized for my experience and explained I should not have been charged for inspecting the slide topper. Additionally, he also stated that it is not normally their practice to charge their customers to check toilet leaks or other minor issues like this. Electrical outlets though would require a bit of troubleshooting so they would typically charge a fee which I was OK with and decided against having them do so as this is something I am capable of doing myself. It was more of a convenience thing and since my coach was there, I just thought it would be something they could check, but no big deal.

As for the slide topper, they did determine that it was indeed installed incorrectly and will be replacing it which I am happy about. Thank you all for your advice and thank you to the CW rapid response team for being so attentive to this matter. It's good to know that you care about your customers are are willing to do what's right to ensure our satisfaction.
I was going to suggest the same post-at-RV.net idea- I think Camping World is unique these days in that it provides that very easy avenue for getting complaints resolved.

And it's a PUBLIC VENUE- complaints are right there for all to see....I think that bespeaks a high level of commitment to resolution of problems. Presumably it also serves to make the Home Office aware of problems that need correcting at one of their many, far-flung locations.

Isn't it a shame that so few nationwide companies have such a simple method for customers to get in touch with them?
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Just had Camping World do my toad base plate (Roadmaster package with Invisibrake system). Good price, great salesman helped with selection and helped with the final coach stuff to be done in FL (I'm in VA and haven't got the coach yet). Tech that put it together took his time to show me how it all came together and some helpful hints. They even included the RoadGuard in the package for the price originally quoted. My first experience was very good

Store is off I81 in Winchester VA. Ask for Rob
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
As for the slide topper, they did determine that it was indeed installed incorrectly and will be replacing it which I am happy about. Thank you all for your advice and thank you to the CW rapid response team for being so attentive to this matter. It's good to know that you care about your customers are are willing to do what's right to ensure our satisfaction.
I haven't had a lot of experience putting on slide covers, but I and DW did our "big" one last year. I'm trying to imagine how it can be installed wrong? Like, it slides into the slots, and you release the arms. You'd have to be a bone-head to get it wrong...Please tell if you know...

Thanx
Gary
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #35

I do most things myself, but not tow plates and toad wiring. Had 2 of them done for me in 2001 and 2011 at CW in Swedesford NJ, on a Saturn and a Wrangler. They were efficient, and professional in these tasks, and at a fair price.

So, I found something good.

Just sayin....
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is supposed to be an 'anti billowing' latch on the slide awning. I know, I just had my whole awning replaced and it was probably because the anti billowing latch broke.
Most (maybe not all) RV repair shops will try to squeeze every dime out of you that they can. They don't worry about repeat or happy customers and figure if you own a CL A you best be able to fix it your self or pay $100+ an hour to have them even look at it.
I think there are some good smaller shops out there but I have'nt found any in CO yet except for 2 Mobil RV Guys. And they probably knew more about RVs than all the techs at camping world combined.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #37

With 35 replies to your original post, it appears that almost 80% are negative of making purchases or having service work performed at Camping World.
I wonder if this sends any message to management ?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #38

Some good some BAD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
Like with most chain operations the service is only as good as the local management and their hired talent. We have had excellent service at the CWs in Draper, UT andNew Brau nfels, TX. But they are the only ones we have had experience with in the shop.
Second on New Braunfels, TX they did great work for us. Stay away from St Augustine, FL they installed master brake on two different cars for us and both times the system failed and had to be fixed elsewhere.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbargolf View Post
Second on New Braunfels, TX they did great work for us. Stay away from St Augustine, FL they installed master brake on two different cars for us and both times the system failed and had to be fixed elsewhere.
they have spread that terrible service north to Jacksonville ...lol
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #40

I had just read the OP's post and a few of the responses. Here in OKC at our CW it goes (for me) kind of like this. I went in a few days ago to find a 3amp fuse that was proving difficult to find. As I entered the store I saw a large display of RV anti-freeze (the same that can be found at W-Mart, or Lowes for 1.99 per gallon) with a big sale sign on it for 7.99 a gallon, this told me an awful lot about the operation. The fuse that they wanted 8.63 for was bought at radio shack, 3 for 3.37. While that doesn't address the bang for the buck on the repair/service side. It would appear that the theme rings true throughout.
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #41

We have mixed emotions about CW. On one hand...

We travel pretty much all the time so Internet shopping & shipping is not easy or convenient as we have no fixed address. As a result, while we may pay a bit more, I appreciate the inventory & selection of various hard to find or Internet only RV accessories you can get at CW. I also usually prefer to see & touch things prior to purchase.

For example, we bought a pro-fill battery system....we could have got this online, but it was nice to be able to check-it-out prior to purchase and nowhere else carried it as an in-stock item.

On the other hand.... we recently wanted to do some annual preventive maintenance stuff (AC & appliance service, slide service & lube, new toilet seal, aux. cooling fan for the fridge, new vent seals) and CW in Mesa wanted close to $700 for their various appliance service packages & shop labor.....used a local RV Dealer and they did everything and more for just under $300.

As a general principle, we prefer to spend money with a local small business when we can.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
About 3 years ago I bought a roof A/C from CW. It was to go on an antique air stream. It ran about two weeks and one night it started making a lot of noise and quit. I took it back to C/W since only two weeks old. They took it in and called me back to tell me they found a chunk of styrafoam in the blower thus this voided the warranty. As you know the unit is closed, my question was how did it get in there, Their reply was I must have let it get there.... After some heated discussion they said all they would do is sell me another unit and not charge to put it on. I was starting a new company in south louisiana and using the A/S as my home away from home in July. Had to get it done. Won't darken those doors again. Since then I have been told that there is indeed some foam in those units that should be removed on installation
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, service