Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
IC2

Camping World shipping

Although I've purchased many things from Camping World, they have closed the nearby (30 miles) store at Alpin Haus in Amsterdam, NY with the next closest in Chichester, NH. They had a couple of things on sale plus $5.00 shipping so decided that why not - even cheaper then fuel for a vehicle. I placed the order(~$60, 6 pounds) this past Monday 8/1 early enough to get it shipped that night. The confirmation arrived on 8/2 with a 'reserved/in stock' designation. OK folks, you have now lost another day, I need the order NLT then this weekend. Last night (over night) and actually today the shipping notice arrived which meant that this order went to the UPS Ground Shipping dept and is somewhere between hither and yon with a "promised" delivery date of 8/8.

I know that I'm probably expecting a lot - but last week I ordered an $1100 ~78 pound Boliy generator which shipped from Long Beach, CA - it arrived in 5 days via FedEx after I placed the order. Now with this said, is CW as bad as it appears or did I just get stuck in an unusual holding pattern. Yes, I know their prices are a bit high, but they used to be at least convenient for me, though no longer. Heck PPL, Adventure RV and a host of others do better with pricing and delivery, it's just they didn't even have what I wanted this time.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My experience with CW is similar to yours. Cheap shipping equals 7 to 10 delivery, even on items that weight very little.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are ordering on line anyway, there are much better places to deal with other than CW. JMO.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #4

Par for CW, just be glad you didn't have to pay their regular shipping charges and the service is no better.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have never had trouble with CW's shipping, it's their prices to which I object. CW's prices are normally much higher than anybody elses. The lone advantage to using them is that they have just about everything.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Try Amazon.com before ordering from CW. Just watch out for their Market Place vendors; I always check the vendor reviews before ordering from one (actually read the reviews and form your own evaluation; the stats are usually skewed because many people don't know the difference between vendor reviews and product reviews). Amazon doesn't always vette them very well and getting satisfaction if you do have a problem is sometimes like pulling teeth. Amazon itself is stellar.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

I've begun using Amazon more and more - better prices and lower shipping charges. If there's a problem, Amazon stands behind the purchase. I doubt that I'll renew the CW membership.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Yep, same here.

On a recent order, CW took 5 days to "process" and 5 days to deliver. The 5 days the order spent waiting to be placed in the hands of the carrier surprised me. The shipping was free and I expected it to take a while so, no biggie. Had I paid for shipping, I would have expected better performance.

To be fair, Amazon's free shipping can take nearly as long, though they have it in the carriers hands usually within 24 hours. But if you pay for shipping, you get your stuff lickety split.

Steve
Old 08-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #9

Why not try RV Upgrades as they are also a sponsor of this forum. Myself, I have had several great experiences with them and if the person on the phone can't address a technical issue they will get someone who can. They have even called me back which is almost an unheard of concept in today's business world. Proceed as you will, Ken Roberts....
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the price they get for shipping, I thought Marcus Lemonis was delivering it himself. Thats not true ? Oh well, I'll put away the milk and cookies.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is another vote for Amazon.com. I tend to try them for everything and have found their prices and selection to be quite good. In fact, I joined their "Prime" service because I order so much and I get free two day shipping on most everything... And no....I am not an owner of Amazon...LOL!!!

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #12

And you can share your Amazon Prime account with up to 5 family members, but they don't check relationships so you can have a brother, sister, aunt or uncle who isn't really.

Liz
Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #13

CW is about 10 interstate miles from me. I treat them like a convenience store. If I need something right now, I'll go get it. In addition to their high prices, I have to add in about $8.00 worth of diesel fuel round trip, so I need very little "right now". Better deals off the Internet, many with free shipping and no tax and I have always been surprised at how fast items arrive.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #14

An update on CW shipping...

We received an email from CW about a 3 day "on-line only" sale.

We were interested in an Oxygenics shower head and the "on-line" price was (the white one) $26 (Presidents Club). Ran to the local CW. Price was $40. Check out dude said "We don't honor 3 day on-line sales, only the longer ones" or words to that effect. Put it back on the shelf and ran back to the rig to look at the email again. Still $26.

Started to order one. Got to the shipping cost page. Lowest shipping was $11. Total cost, $37. Couldn't believe they did this. No joy. No sale!!

Checked some of the major competitors, including sponsors of IRV2 forums. Not much better can be found.

So, can they really sell it at $26 or do they lay the infamous shipping trap to make up the difference? If they can sell it at $26, why don't they? They'd sell a lot more. They didn't sell one to us. Money lost. We'll live with what we have.

BTW, sales taxes were omitted to maintain clarity since they're nearly 10% here (and a whole 'nother story).

Just an update on CW and the Affinity Group.

Tags
camping