Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

campsite just canceled- Government Shutdown!

So we had 4 nights reserved for this coming weekend at an Army Corp. facility. They just called and canceled the first night and said "call back for updates on the rest of you reservation."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear this and not surprising.

**Note about responses to this thread... Everyone please refrain from any POLITICAL DISCUSSION. Thanks.**
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
So we had 4 nights reserved for this coming weekend at an Army Corp. facility. They just called and canceled the first night and said "call back for updates on the rest of you reservation."
Sounds a bit premature to me. I would think they would wait to know for sure rather than make assumptions.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with Hikerdogs. Sounds a bit premature. Not a good thing to lose profits when every dime will help. I can see alot of very frustrated campers out there if our top officials do not begin to do what they should like keeping this country running.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Premature? Umm, better to get the call now so you can go to plan B. Show up with a closed sign and every other CG is full is a bad outcome. [moderator edit]
Old 09-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
what happens if you are already set up in the park, will you be asked to leave?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #7

At least , they had the decency to call and give you a head's up.
Kind of says , to me at least, that they care about your business.
I know private parks that don't bother.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
I agree with Hikerdogs. Sounds a bit premature. Not a good thing to lose profits when every dime will help. I can see alot of very frustrated campers out there if our top officials do not begin to do what they should like keeping this country running.
I think it's prudent to cancel. This at least allows those with reservations to avoid a long drive to a closed facility.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTinVa View Post
they are doing what they should and about time.
they can still run the cg will just have to start charging what it cost as it should have been all along.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #10

I do appreciate the advanced notice, and the "little old lady" who called was very flustered and appologetic. Felt bad for her.
Some of the State Parks still have a spot or two, but not much. I hate to double book.
We have a "6 day weekend" because of teacher furlough days in our county.

Can anyone manage their money anymore!?!?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #11

Interesting!

Back during the shutdown of '96, I visited Grand Canyon N.P. (south rim). The gates were wide open, but the booths were unmanned. So visitors got in for free.

Law enforcement (Park Rangers) were still on duty, and most facilities were still operating (hotel, gift shops, etc.), but I suppose those are privately run.

In short, things were pretty normal but I didn't have to pay an entry fee. In fact, if it were not for the unmanned booths at GCNP, I would never had known the government had shut down. It just had so little impact on me.

If Army Corp is canceling reservations, it makes me wonder if someone's trying to make a point. What do they call that? "Washington Monument" effect or something?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #12

Been trying to access state park websites in Tennessee and so far none have loaded. Got reservations a couple weeks from now but haven't received any cancellation yet.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #13

just left a COE park - sign there said that if they shut down all campers (including hosts) will be asked to leave.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynkenzie View Post
Been trying to access state park websites in Tennessee and so far none have loaded. Got reservations a couple weeks from now but haven't received any cancellation yet.
I wouldn't think a federal government shut down should affect state parks...maybe a few?
Closed Thread