Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
This is really OT, but WD40 is NOT a lubricant. The WD stands for "Water Displacing", and it's designed to get (and keep) moisture out of things. If they're moving parts, they need to be lubricated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
This is really OT, but WD40 is NOT a lubricant. The WD stands for "Water Displacing", and it's designed to get (and keep) moisture out of things. If they're moving parts, they need to be lubricated.

Then why does the WD-40 website contradict your statement?

FROM WD-40 website:

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Probably because they'd loose half their business if people used it only for what it was designed for.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #18

Can a slide come out while traveling?

I do however agree that WD-40 is not the best LUBRICANT for slides. I use Tri-Flow, a Teflon based lubricant that is available at True-Value stores. Once I used Tri-Flow I won't go back to WD-40.

Sorry about trying to ruin a perfectly good anti-WD-40 campaign with useless FACTS! Lol
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Facts or marketing fluff, you be the judge.

I'm not against WD-40, really. It's a very useful thing to have around. But I cringe when I hear about people using it as a lubricant (only).
Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaldeagle View Post
Then why does the WD-40 website contradict your statement?

FROM WD-40 website:

Myth: WD-40 Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact:
While the “W-D” in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, WD-40 Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.
I will keep using WD40 like I have in the past.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Getting back to the original question, yes slides can deploy while driving. I had it happen to me twice on my 06 CC Intrigue. Once on the Grapevine and again in Lake Tahoe. My slides were hydraulic and the curbside ones needed positive pressure to stay closed. I had a hydraulic line break and the slide deployed. It's not a pretty site to look in the mirror and see a slide out.
exgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
My Monaco has an interlock that kills the power to the slides when the engine is running. I hate it. I invariably forget to put all the slides in before I start the engine to warm it up.

However, switches DO go bad and if one did, defeating the interlock could cause the slide to deploy...nothing mechanical would stop it.

A lot of people defeat the interlock because the voltage is higher with the engine running and the slide motors run better. I won't be doing that. Instead I start the generator or do it with shore power connected. If we need to retract the slide I just have the DH go outside and push to move it along.

If the motor ever breaks on the big slide, I'll have a bigger/stronger one (or better gear ratio) put in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksFam View Post
That would be nuts. Slides do have power during travel...so its not improbable. Someone or something would have to actuate the control to deploy the slides.
My slides have no power when the engine is running. They also have dual electric travels locks.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psrujak View Post
I will keep using WD40 like I have in the past.
If you look at a can of WD40, you will see no claim as a lubricant.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very possible. many people in the assorted forums have stated "Happened to me" I will give one example of how.

I am seated on a Power Gear "Rack and pinion" type slide out. If two bolts break, it is free to move (Unless I put the locking bar in place of course) Which is why I always put the locking bar in place.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Power Gear rack and pinion slide out mechanism has a lever on the servo motor that must be kept in the lock position. The unlocked position of the lever allows for manual deployment and retraction of the slide in case of power failure etc. The lever was in the unlocked position when our motorhome was delivered to us new. The slide slipped out a couple of times on our 200 mile trip home from the dealer, but only slipped a few inches. After contacting the dealer the next day about the problem, I was informed of the lever, and how to position it to lock the slide mechanism. No problem since.

Tags
slide, travel