Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Also, re...

"I've registered vehicles in more than half a dozen states and I've never seen any that would register and give you a title without issuing plates."

CO is unique in that you can title and register a vehicle (which is cheap) and then later (within the first 30 days) get your plates, which is when they will hit you with a personal property tax, outrageous at 2% of the MSRP (and this is a yearly fee with the percentage dropping each year).

Liberate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Liberate View Post
Thanks again for all the comments. Re...

"Your situation is definitely unique in the fact that you live and work in both states. Most states use a 183 day rule to determine residency which may place you into Missouri as a resident. This gets magnified by the fact that you own property in Missouri and you have a Missouri driver's license. You mentioned that you file tax returns in both states, but do you file resident returns in both or non-resident in one?"

I actually worked longer in the State of CO than MO in 2013 (75% of the yr in CO & 25% of the yr in MO). In 2013, while in MO, I had an apt. But this will be reversed in 2014, hence in late December of 2013 I bought my new MO home, which is were I am sitting right now. So for 13 I plan to file as a resident of CO and for 14 I will be filing as a resident in MO.

Sorry this is so complicated.
Wow, you don't want to make this easy, do you?

It sounds like you will qualify as a Colorado resident and then you would be "moving" to Missouri. You do have a very unique set of circumstances which may very well work out in your favor. I'd say consult a Colorado CPA or tax attorney, but I sincerely doubt that they would have an answer due to the uniqueness of your circumstances. You are probably down to the gut feel test. The funny part about your situation is that either way you go may come back to haunt you later with Colorado chasing you for their additional personal property or excise tax and Missouri possibly chasing you for the additional sales tax.

I'm down to good luck and I hope it works out for you no matter which way you go.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:35 AM   #17
Mo also has a personal property tax they charge every year. You must live a very expensive county-city. I lived in Crawford co and their total tax rate County and state was 5.5 percent.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #18
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I know of many who have purachased a Motor home in, say Montanna, and titled it to a LLC they formed for the specific purpose of paying taxes... only to get a knock on the door from their home state. AND one BIG tax bill (including interest and penalty)
I don't want to hijack this thread, but IMHO it is important for others to realize that there are no problems with registering a MH to a MT LLC as long as you obey the laws of the state you live in or any other states you may visit. The people who get in trouble over MT LLCs usually register their MH in MT but "garage" it in their state of residence. This is illegal because it almost assuredly violates that State's law regarding how many days a vehicle can be in the State in the possession of a resident without being registered there.

The situation is entirely different if you are a full-timer. We are South Dakota residents and would have to register our vehicles there if we garaged them in the State for more than 90 days. However, even though we often vacation in SD we have yet to spend more than 30 days there in any one year. Therefore, we are not violating SD law by having our vehicles titled in another state.

Statements repeatedly appear on this and other RV forums about the tax risks associated with having vehicles registered in States other than the one you are domiciled in. Many of these statements are incorrect; there are no laws preventing you from registering vehicles in multiple states, but you can't register a vehicle in one state and garage in primarily in a different one. Think of the rich folks who have houses in multiple states and vehicles garaged at each one. Remember Mitt Romney and his wife's numerous Cadillac's. No matter how many houses you own, only one is your domicile.
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Related to this post, but not really addressed, is the issue of obtaining insurance for the RV. Insurers get really mad -- to the point of policy cancellation and denying claims because of a fraudulent application for insurance -- when they find someone who registers their vehicle in a jurisdiction where insurance costs less, but garage it (and use it all the time) where insurance is more expensive. Happens more often than you might imagine. Doesn't excuse the illegality, however.

2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote