Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Rusty, he has a 21'-22' TT, not a 5ver. Should have room to spare with the 3500.
My 2002 3500 didn't have 400 lbs to spare on the front axle without the 5th wheel. Perhaps the OP "should" have enough capacity, but based on my experience, it pays to check to be sure before investing the money and time only to find out the front axle is overloaded after the fact.

I don't believe carrying the scooter in the truck bed was an option originally due to lack of available bed space and bed height - that's why I didn't address it. That approach certainly would seem to make the most sense.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #16

This is really thinking outside the box but you might consider a Segway. While the primary position is standing they do make seats for them. They are just over 100# and you can get a tilt lift that fits into the 2" receiver. D pp depending on your weight, weather and terrain, you can you 15 to 20 miles on a charge. Cost is about $5000 plus options.

I have had mine for 6 years and have seen RVers with mobility issues use them with the seats. Maintenance is minimal.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:55 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They even make a Segway based wheelchair now.

ALLY kit for Segway by LayneBuilt LLC - Segway modification by ALLY

I betcha that's a pricey ride!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Feb 5th I'll have double knee replacement surgery and am hoping that I won't be needing a wheelchair again for a long time. If I need one sooner, that's OK, too. This country just needs to get over it's "pity the poor cripple" attitude. I'll step down off my soap box, now.
okmunky, I neglected to wish you good luck with your knee replacements. I have quite a few friends who have had the surgery and are like new people so I hope you do as well as they have done! I'd actually rather have a wheel chair, but I need something that will do well on dirt, gravel roads, and grass. That was my main concern as far as getting around while traveling and camping. Maybe I just haven't seen one.

I can see after reading all the responses, that I have my research cut out for me. I know a lot more than I did just a few days ago. I hadn't even given front end truck weight, blocking lights or lining a lift a thought. I'll look into all possibilities mentioned here. My easiest (and safest) solution may be to make room in the bed of the truck which means carrying more stuff in the trailer. Most of it is "just in case stuff" more for my peace of mind than anything. I never gave some of these things a thought when my husband was alive. Once again, thank you everyone, for the taking the time to write your thoughts and advice. I really appreciate every one of you.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
They even make a Segway based wheelchair now.

ALLY kit for Segway by LayneBuilt LLC - Segway modification by ALLY

I betcha that's a pricey ride!
Yes they are pricy. I saw one at a car show on the way to buy mine. They even can climb stairs.

The standard or off road ones can do gravel, grass, and trails. Just watch for roots and chuck holes. I speak from experience.
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #20

HoboPals, one thing you can consider regarding front hitch weight is the fact that when you hook up the JayFeather, it removes some weight from the front axle.

To replace this weight loss, weight-transfer bars are generally used. Instead of those, I use a 200-pound box full of tools and whatnot on the front hitch when I tow.

If you do decide to put the scooter on front, you might consider not using the weight-transfer bars because of the added weight.
Airstreamer6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
handicap, handicapped, scooter