Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 05:35 AM   #1

Can I tow/connect power w/o battery?

Any issues towing my trailer or plugging in the shore power cable if the battery is NOT in the rig?
Assuming the cables for the battery don't touch.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2014, 05:57 AM   #2

Should be okay. I pulled battery on my first TT because I never used it. New TT has battery pulled and I hooked it up to TV while in storage to get my CD out of the radio!
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #3

I also cover with tape the connector ends "just in case"
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Commercial Member

The only problem doing this is that your trailer battery supplies power to the breakaway switch for brakes if it would ever become unhook from your tow vehicle. Not a safe thing.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
The only problem doing this is that your trailer battery supplies power to the breakaway switch for brakes if it would ever become unhook from your tow vehicle. Not a safe thing.

Just what I was thinkng.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the trailer has brakes then you MAY NOT TOW IT without a properly charged battery in place, this is a safety issue, and a liability issue, the reason is that said battery is part of the emergency (Break-a-way) Braking system and without it you have no emergency braking system, period.

As for plugging in: SOME converters, most notabilly the old Magneteck 6300 line, really do not like operation without either a battery or a battery simulator. Now sometimes they work, but I'd not count on it.

That is the bad news

now the good news.

I have one of those handy-dandy jump start devices,, I have had to use it many times over the years for assorted vehicles (not all mine) (Worked for a time for a tow company, many owners coming to redeem their impound needed a jump) .

I'm on my 3rd unit now... This is battery enough for the job, Set it in the battery box hook it up and you are good to tow.

IF you have one of those old magnetek converters.. May I suggest a Progressive Dynamics 4600 line from Best converters.

Replacing the guts of the Magnetek with the PDI woudl be like upgrading from a skate board to a Cadillac it is true, (Worst to best) but hey... That is why I recommend it)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #7

See, I wasn't even thinking about the breakaway feature.
Always better to stop, think and ask.

Although, if it does ever break away, I dont really see it staying on the tires very long, so not sure how much good that feature would do.

I do have the battery for it. I had just taken it home to charge a few days ago and was now going to bring the trailer home too to winterize it.

Thanks
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of the cheaper converters/inverters use the battery as a control for voltage. Without it in place there can be higher than rated voltage getting through.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power, tow