Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #29

If your worried about your heater just take you hand and run it along the length of your cord. If cool from plug to heater you are safe, if hot replace.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not leave any space heater on while I am gone.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Otherwise the propane furnace runs full blast all night and I am swapping propane tanks 3 times a week.
Are you swapping the small tanks or refilling them? Swapped tanks are never full. If you can have them refilled they will last longer and cost you much less. You can get propane tanks refilled at propane distributors, many U-haul dealers and some Ace Hardware locations.

Most dogs are comfortable at a lower temperature than us puny humans. You could set your thermostat lower when you are away to save propane.

I put Reflectix between my windows and pull down shades. It is like bubble wrap with foil on both sides and is a great insulator. Lowe's, Home Depot and Ace sell it. Also I have 3" foam cushions in the roof vents

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-45192-S...vent+insulator

On really cold nights I hang a heavy blanket over the inside of the entrance door to stop the cold that the metal frame transfers in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If it is going to get that cold I will move further south. Rarely see a freeze in the RGV.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use oil filled type with tip over shut off.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimacon View Post
I use oil filled type with tip over shut off.

X2 and you can always add a fan to move the air around, they have wheels you can roll them around on too.

iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #35

We live in a society and at a time when people are not held accountable for what they do, and some object is often blamed instead of the person...

Cars do not have accidents. Ever. People have accidents with their cars.

Heaters do not cause fires. Almost never. People overlook dangerous situations, and those are almost always the cause of those 'heater' fires.

That is not to say that an mechanical device cannot fail, or even burn. They can. But mostly the problems are based on the people using them.

Pets and unattended heaters are never a good mix. "not my pup!" Sure.

Animals do not know that you cannot nose around behind the heater that is away from flammables, if the ball or chew toy goes back there. Bump the heater, and it can tilt enough to cause a problem, but maybe not enough to turn off.

When I was a kid, we had a Saint Bernard. When he was a pup, he used to lay under the Television stand. He grew. Very shortly, he could not fit under that stand. Still, we all thought it was cute that he would wedge himself under. Eventually, he could only fit his head under... He looked adorable.

Who's fault was it when he had his head under, and a noise occurred outside, and we all perked up to figure out what it was? I am sure you can guess that when he stood to investigate, and the television went over and shattered, the anger was not directed to the humans who had let the situation develop. I was a kid, but learned the lesson. The dog got punished, but did not understand. My father, the adult in this story, never really got it that it was not the dog's fault.

I believe it is possible to mount the heater and install it in a way that it is safe enough to be a lesser likely cause for whatever your next problem will be, but that is not up to the heater, it is up to you.

Good luck.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #36

Sorry, been sick a couple days and have not been on here to read the replies until now. So many people chimed in, so thanks for the feedback.

As I mentioned earlier, I will NOT run the electric heater if I am not home to monitor it.

As for the gas, I have my original bottles refilled, so they get the full 4.7 gallons each time. I know when you swap them, there is always a lot of slosh room at the top, and that is just empty bottle. And as mentioned, it seems to be cheaper to have them refilled rather than swapped out.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:01 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I stopped at Costco in Northern Phoenix yesterday. They were selling propane for $1.86/gallon with a maximum price of less than $9 for the 20# bottles. They also fill RV tanks. I had just filled up the day before for $2.79/gallon. Sheez!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
If I had too....I would use an oil filled heater.
And no higher than the medium setting!
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:40 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Sorry, been sick a couple days and have not been on here to read the replies until now. So many people chimed in, so thanks for the feedback.

As I mentioned earlier, I will NOT run the electric heater if I am not home to monitor it.

As for the gas, I have my original bottles refilled, so they get the full 4.7 gallons each time. I know when you swap them, there is always a lot of slosh room at the top, and that is just empty bottle. And as mentioned, it seems to be cheaper to have them refilled rather than swapped out.
A great idea I saw here yesterday is to buy 2-4 extra propane tanks. Once you are on the last one, take the others to be filled. And, if you have an external connection, you can lease a 100 gallon tank and have the propane company visit you.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #40

We are living in a long-term park and most of the people here have a larger tank out front, that gets filled automatically once every 2 or 3 weeks. Been thinking about signing up for one...
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I've left space heaters on in multiple RV's over the last 25 years or more. But they're right beside the house and I check them once or twice a week at least. In below freezing that's at least daily and sometimes more often.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #42

I have a brick heater w/ a thermostat but would not leave it on while sleeping or away.

Tags
ace, heat, heater, rust