Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #15

I have a fiberglass roof and use silicone. The RV dealer in my area said it is definitely OK to use silicone on fiberglass.
Did he give me some bad advice? If so, please give the reasons to not use it on fiberglass. It seems to me that it is very flexible.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #16

Does it matter what type of roof you have ? How do you know what type of roof it is?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwizer View Post
I have a fiberglass roof and use silicone. The RV dealer in my area said it is definitely OK to use silicone on fiberglass.
Did he give me some bad advice? If so, please give the reasons to not use it on fiberglass. It seems to me that it is very flexible.
A year from now, pull on one end of a run of silicone, you'll see yourself why, when the string is in your hand. Then when you decide to use another product it will not adhere properly where you had silicone unless you use the specialty cleaner to remove silicone residue. Look up its price on the internet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A year from now, pull on one end of a run of silicone, you'll see yourself why, when the string is in your hand. Then when you decide to use another product it will not adhere properly where you had silicone unless you use the specialty cleaner to remove silicone residue. Look up its price on the internet.

I've been told this same thing, that nothing else will stick properly to silicone sealant and it will turn loose over time!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
As I had stated earlier in this thread 10 posts ago, "you will be VERY disappointed if you use silicone on your roof".

However, it is YOUR roof and you can do as YOU please!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwizer View Post
I think you may not have asked the right question at the dealer. Is it OK to use silicone on fiberglass? ... sure. Is it an effective sealant for an RV? ..... no. If you have ever used silicone in your home shower enclosure or tub surround you know what to expect. It will eventually need to be removed and replaced. It will come out as described .... like removing a rubber band from a groove .... it has little adhesion.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
On a previous 5th wheel with an EPDM roof, I found out that I had a small tear in the EPDM membrane, unfortunately at 10:30 PM during a thunderstorm when the rain started dripping through a light fixture in the living room!! I found out the hard way that the only thing I had that would stick to wet EPDM and seal it up was silicone caulk.

Now, having said that, the next day I went and bought a proper patch kit and installed an EPDM patch over the tear. I sealed the patch with Dicor self-leveling sealant which, under normal circumstances, is all I would ever use for such purposes.

My point in all this? Use Dicor if your roofing membrane calls for it, but I keep a tube of silicone caulk in my RV toolbox "just in case" for an emergency fix.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dicor lap sealant. Period! Just my $.02
Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've owned a silicone compounding plant. Every silicone available from a repair shop or hardware store is the same product, "acetoxy silicone". Almost all of it is produced by one very large company. It"s shipped in 55 gal drums to packagers. The seller supplies caulking tubes with their name etc. on the tubes. It's all the same and it's all that is available to you.

This product does not adhere to raw fiberglass very well. It does however, adhere to gel coated fiberglass extremly well.

There are thousands of silicone rubber formulas. Each formula is for a spacific purpose. Most of them are very expensive. The silicone industry has not actively persued the RV industry.

Perhaps one day a flowable, slow cure oxime silicone will be available for a RV roof coating. It contains an adhesion promoter that enables it to adhere to plastic, metal, fiberglass and many other products. It withstands temps of
-100f to +450f. UV has no affect. It creats a waterproof membrane. A mildicide prevents mildew and mold. It's a heat barrier and reflacts sunlight. It's resistant to almost all chemicals. You can can use acetone to clean the roof if you desire. It would outlast the RV.

Why isn't it available? Cost. It would be very costly to bring it to market. The RV industry would have to be reeducated about silicone. Silicone is a bad name to most RV people. And then the gamble, would anyone pay $1000.00 for such a product when current roof coatings sell for much less.

Will it work? I'm very pleased with my oxime silicone RV roof. I made the mistake of parking under a pine tree for shade. I had no problem removing the pine pitch with acetone.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Silicon caulk can be used, but you will have to re-do it very soon, and it will be much harder since it is the worst choice and worst excuse for caulking ever invented.

RV roofs are mostly made by Dicor

And Dicor makes caulk (Two different types) specifically made for RV roofs.. Who better can make the proper stuff?

The two types are "Self Leveling" this is a fairly "Thin" caulk that will flow easily into cracks and level itself off.

And Non-Self Leveling (or mounding) useful for caulking over bolts andfittings, also for areas where you don't want it all running away on you.

Oh, for a very small hole or puncture GOOP works too.. but if you are re-caulking skylights and vents and such.. use Dicor. much better (and cheaper too) I keep a tube or two on hand at all times.

Tags
roof