Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Can Jensen AWM968 play through trailer speakers AND soundbar?

Our IRV system is horrible. Been unhappy with it since day one.

Looking at a Jensen model to replace it.

I want to be able to play through the inside and outside stock speakers, and at the same time, play through a amplified soundbar with internal sub for improved sound.

Can this unit do this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
IC2

I hope you don't have big hands as the remote is smaller then a business card and not much thicker and absolutely not intuitive. And before you ask that question, no, I haven't been able to find any substitute for it that fits my mid size hand - even to the point of purchasing several others and trying them.

As far as sound quality in your RV, speaker replacement is easier and less expensive for a mediocre $300 Jensen plus a $$ sound bar.

Oh and yes, you can probably use a sound bar. There are separate outputs along with a wiring harness connector. Pull a copy of the IB from here: JENSEN AM/FM/DVD/CD/USB Bluetooth Stereo. The wiring diagram is included.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I hope you don't have big hands as the remote is smaller then a business card and not much thicker and absolutely not intuitive. And before you ask that question, no, I haven't been able to find any substitute for it that fits my mid size hand - even to the point of purchasing several others and trying them.

As far as sound quality in your RV, speaker replacement is easier and less expensive for a mediocre $300 Jensen plus a $$ sound bar.

Oh and yes, you can probably use a sound bar. There are separate outputs along with a wiring harness connector. Pull a copy of the IB from here: JENSEN AM/FM/DVD/CD/USB Bluetooth Stereo. The wiring diagram is included.
Speaking of big hands, look at that guy in the video!!!

I saw that little remote. It is TINY!

It isn't just the sound quality that we are upset with, as much as it refuses to communicate with our TV, and every time we turn it on, the outside and inside speakers are on by default. Which is embarrassing if we forget and play our movies at night and it is blaring out at the park, because we didn't realize the outside speakers are on.

We have had to run an audio wire from the back of the TV to the front aux input of the IRV to get it to play with our TV, which is annoying, ugly, and eventually, that wire is going to get hung up on one of our slide-outs. I need to get all wires back in the wall where they belong.

I have tried Rear Aux, Rear RCA, and Rear HDMI and NONE will play TV sound through the IRV unless I bring it in through the front Aux.

It communicates with the sound bar just fine, and the stock speakers, but since it is coming out of the headphone jack of the TV, it is pre-amped, and it overwhelms the little speakers and causes popping and static once the volume gets right about where I can hear it. So we need to get it to communicate without being pre-amped, so we get clear clean signal.

Basically, it is a piece of low-grade crap, and needs to be replaced with something just a bit higher quality.

The stock speakers are fine, because they are basically high freq tweeters, with just a bit of mid, and when we add the soundbar, we get a bit more mid and a bit of bass (not so much as to keep the neighbors awake ). So the setup sounds decent enough to make us happy, but the lack of functionality with our TV is not acceptable.

Can anyone recommend a better unit? We don't mind spending $500 if we need to. The Jensen is what pops up when we google "RV dvd radio", which is why I am looking at it. The reviews on this model are mixed, which bothers me. I don't want to have to go through 3 or 4 units before I find one that works for us.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
IC2

Take a look on the Crutchfield website. They have many 12VDC units that would do a better job plus their techs can walk you through an odd ball setup as they have with me over the years: Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV. You may need a separate DVD player, but that isn't a bad idea either with the failure rate I've had with them. It might need to be a 110VAC unit but a low wattage inverter could fix that.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Take a look on the Crutchfield website. They have many 12VDC units that would do a better job plus their techs can walk you through an odd ball setup as they have with me over the years: Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV. You may need a separate DVD player, but that isn't a bad idea either with the failure rate I've had with them. It might need to be a 110VAC unit but a low wattage inverter could fix that.
Thanks for the link! And the suggestion.

We are almost always on shore power, and I have actually been thinking about a home entertainment unit as a replacement. Would likely have to change the speakers due to ohm difference. Can't remember which is 8 and which is 4, and I think you run 8 ohm speakers on 4 ohm system, if I recall correctly.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Thanks for the link! And the suggestion.

We are almost always on shore power, and I have actually been thinking about a home entertainment unit as a replacement. Would likely have to change the speakers due to ohm difference. Can't remember which is 8 and which is 4, and I think you run 8 ohm speakers on 4 ohm system, if I recall correctly.
We had a mid price SONY system in the last 5er along with new speakers. and were very happy with the positive change vs the piece of junk that was supplied as OEM. In the house, we have a Samsung sound bar that is not worth the space it occupies though it is marginally better then the dinky speakers in the TV.....

When you get to speakers, you should match the impedance. 4 ohms seems to be pretty much the standard now -- that is unless it's a SONY - --which could be either 4 or 8 depending on the model. You potentially could 'blow' them out if not matched to whatever amplifier is in the system. Also need to match to the output power.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #8

Crutchfield actually referred me to an iRV66 (I currently have the iRV33). So basically the same unit.

But she gave me some hints about how to make it all work together, so next time I go out there I need to look at all the wiring again.