Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Can you have too many windows?

We have placed a deposit on a 2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365RL 5th wheel and although it comes fully loaded with nearly every available option available in today's market, I really don't like the fact that there aren't many windows at all and am having second thoughts. I fell in love with the Big Horn 3260Elite that has large windows and many of them! But one thing I noticed is that the majority of them are on the side away from the door. Although I have past experience with a TT... DH does not have any and I can't remember when at RV resorts or parks if it matters which direction the windows face. They are double paned so hopefully the sun won't cause to much extra heat with shades pulled during that time of the day. If we park at a lake or the ocean I really want to be able to enjoy the view from inside. For one thing, we live in Oregon and much of our weather locally is just plain wet!

I also am very confused about Evergreen offering the ComposiTek instead of the Luaun which I believe Heartland uses. I have no idea which is better and I can not find any information on line stating if ComposiTek is a good product or not. If it's a fairly new product,,, I really don't want to find out in 10 years that it doesn't hold up after all and that the company went bankrupt and can't cover the damages. But also if it is far better than the Luaun I am ready (I guess) to live without windows.

I so appreciate all of the experienced RV'ers on this site. Thank you so much for sharing your opinions and experiences with the rest of us! If you have any thoughts about either or both of the things I posted about here, please share them!

mustanggt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
SuperDek - The Latest Composite Technology. Compositek, Inc. Engineering and Consulting Services for the Plastics and Composite Industries

Kathryn . . . still lurking and learning!

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems like the windows should be on the door side, as that is generally looking out on your "yard". The side opposite your door would be the neighbors. Guess if you enjoy a bit of watching the neighbors, it would be fine. I love lots of light so the more windows, the better for me. Our current 5er doesn't have much in the way of windows on the side away from the door.
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
When it gets down to a choice between just two, put the floor plans and spec sheets away. Dont concentrate on the amenities and don't over think it. It's now about which RV has the best "feel" when you first walk in. When you sit down at the table or couch, which feels more looke a home and which feels like your visiting some one else's nice RV.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
When the manufacturers start adding all of the ammenities RV'ers are asking for, Large Big Screen TV's, Full size residential fridge, tons of closet space two bathrooms, etc etc, their is not much wall space left for large windows.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
We only have 2 windows on the street side of our 5th wheel. We eliminated the small windows in the bedroom slide when we had it built. We generally do not open any windows anyway because of allergies. And we have 4 rooftop fans, 3 in the bedroom area if we want ventilation. The bedroom is nice and dark for sleeping but the rest has plenty of windows to bring in the light. We love the big back window and keep the blind open on that one most of the time. Find something that works for you and enjoy.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
MY DW feels that there are two many windows in most 5er's. Her reasoning is that the windows let in too much light in the night; she has too have it dark in order to sleep. They also tend to allow in more sunlight during the day and allow the camper to heat up more. She has placed black felt cloth over the back window to help keep the camper cooler. Cheaper than the window screen that some western 5ers have on them over the rear window that I have seen.
So yes some campers can have too many windows.

Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Single pane windows are a great source for a heat leak or heat gain. More windows ae more heat leak. Also, the more windows, the less space for cabinets, etc. for storage area.

As for the construction techniques, Evergreen is building using the more up to date technologies and Heartland is still using the older technology. IMHO, I'd go with the Evergreen product over the Heartland.

Your absolute best choice is to go with a slightly used higher end RV over a new mid-line unit. There are lots of 2 to 5 year old RVs out there that have seen little use.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Thank you so much for all of your advice and input! I decided to not buy the trailer with all the windows... part of me is sad about that because I do LOVE windows... but you all made perfect sense regarding the trailer facing the neighbors and we are much to private to share out lives with them to that extent. lol And, since we hope to buy a lot in AZ or So CA less windows will be better in the heat.

Also, Thanks to the advice of you all and more of my own research, we are going to buy the Evergreen Bay Hill. I hope 10 years from now the ComposiTek is still the bomb and holding up as they predict it will!

Again! Thanks again to everyone who replied

mustanggt123 is offline   Reply With Quote