Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Canabalized in storage - what to do.

We recently took our RV out of a storage lot. When I got home I noticed that the front, driver side, jack was down a little - then noticed that the spring was missing. I had assumed that the bolt that held the spring had worked loose and the spring had vibrated off.

Later I noticed that there was a wrench on the bolt that holds the bracket that supports the top of the spring. It's a very nice wrench - a 9/16 with a tilting ratchet head. Very slender and light, and not a brand I recognize. It's a professional's wrench.

It turns out that the guy that we rented the storage from has an RV repair shop on the site, though I don't think the owner does any repairs himself. We have not moved the RV in nearly two years, and I now have no doubt that the spring was removed while it was stored there.

What do I do? The owner seems like a good guy. Did one of the other people who stored there remove the spring? Did one of the mechanics that works there? Does the owner know? I have no proof of anything, of course. The owner lives on the premisis, but he's not always there.

I have left a message for the owner - non-acusatory, but I think he should know.

And the reason we moved our RV from the last place we rented (a more convenient and more expensive one, with pavement and security cameras) was because it was broken into.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhackney View Post
Later I noticed that there was a wrench on the bolt that holds the bracket that supports the top of the spring. It's a very nice wrench - a 9/16 with a tilting ratchet head. Very slender and light, and not a brand I recognize. It's a professional's wrench.
If I correctly understand.............someone traded a nice professional's wrench for a spring from one of your jacks. Doesn't sound like the storage place owner to me because he would have gone back when nobody was there to retrieve his wrench, at least. In fact it sounds like the thief was interrupted.

KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What to do? You should file a police report. Then let them follow up on it. Keep us posted.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
So sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd just as soon shoot them as to look at them. Unfortanately it's one of those those things that will sometimes occur when you store your RV in an off site location. We're very fortunate to store our motorhome at home. Our boat on the other hand is stored off site, and it's got a rather pricey stereo system in it. Hopefully nothing will ever happen to it. It's in the side lot of a nearby RV park and the owner, a friend looks out for me. Karma has a funny way of dealing with people. You may never know what happens, but I'm sure the perpetrator(s) will get what's coming to them. I sure hope so anyhow!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Chances are that the wrench came from a set so a little snooping might be in order. First of all a police report and let the cards lay where they fall.

Don, WIT 70041
Old 07-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Contact police, owner, insurance and lawyer not necessary in that order but in "Close order" The lawyer you basically ask for advice, or put on standby.

It may be (is likely in fact) that they had a rig come in with a broken spring and said "Oh, he's not moved his in 2 years we will "borrow" one of his till we can get a replacement in, and if you'd come back a week later.. it would have been replaced.

Also, that professional wrench.. May be worth more than the spring.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #7

I talked to the owner of the storage lot/repair business today. (He is out of town.) He claims nothing like this has happened before and is going to send a mobile tech to us to replace the spring. 'Can't complain about that.

Hack
--//--
Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #8

There you go... Talk to the owner, inform him of the issue, and he does the right thing and handles it. I suspect you will continue to do business with him, and you get a nice wrench.

No police as what would they do anyway (You probably already violated more than one CSI rule), no freaking lawyers.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehhackney View Post
I talked to the owner of the storage lot/repair business today. (He is out of town.) He claims nothing like this has happened before and is going to send a mobile tech to us to replace the spring. 'Can't complain about that.

Hack
--//--
He gave you LOVE. DW works for a MAJOR storage company and they take no responsibility. It's in the contract, have insurance. We will never store our RV anywhere other than home. Break ins are common.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
He gave you LOVE. DW works for a MAJOR storage company and they take no responsibility. It's in the contract, have insurance. We will never store our RV anywhere other than home. Break ins are common.
J
I don't know... it still sounds like someone from his RV repair shop did as suggested above and "borrowed" a spring. Even though he's replacing the spring now I would be interested in presonally returning the wrench and taking a peek in those tool boxes.

A few month ago I had the license plates stollen from my rig while in storage. Could have been much worse but still....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I don't know... it still sounds like someone from his RV repair shop did as suggested above and "borrowed" a spring. Even though he's replacing the spring now I would be interested in presonally returning the wrench and taking a peek in those tool boxes.

A few month ago I had the license plates stollen from my rig while in storage. Could have been much worse but still....

Rick
Most of the time storage theft is an inside job. That's we won't store our MH.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
While my tt was in storage over the winter 2 years ago, my hitch pin lock and break-a-way connector were swiped over the winter.

When I come to pick my unit up, I will always do a walk-a-round before I hook up. I guess for 6 seasons, that's not too bad. It is in a fenced in area, on pavement and about 2 miles from my house.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
Most of the time storage theft is an inside job. That's we won't store our MH.
J
I wasn't aware that most were inside jobs but sadly, for many of us storing our coaches at home is not an option. The coach is almost bigger than our townhouse.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
"A few month ago I had the license plates stollen from my rig while in storage. Could have been much worse but still.... "

Good idea to take your plate(s) off. When the economy is bad, some people steal the plates and license sticker to use on their vehicle.

Tags
storage