RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 04:42 PM   #1

Canada and guns

i know, i know. bringing guns into canada is a big nono. BUT, what really happens when you cross the border? do they search everywhere, bring dogs on board?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
depends...how the bp guy feels that day...random...how do you look/act

Old 11-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredm View Post
i know, i know. bringing guns into canada is a big nono. BUT, what really happens when you cross the border? do they search everywhere, bring dogs on board?

They can if they want to. You don't want to get caught with a handgun period. They have the right to seize the coach. You can take a long gun or shotgun with a permit issued by Canada.

Even with a plain random search, they can leave the coach a mess with everything scattered everywhere if they want to
Old 11-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #4

You go through a giant xray machine, so they could probably see it on the xray before they even searched.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
They just caught someone at the border trying to smuggle guns into Canada. They were in the gas tank. Go ahead and see if you get lucky
Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

We went across at Niagara Falls this year. The Canadian border guy only seemed interested in guns. Here is the gist:

What is your place of residence? (I answered my southern state of residence)
What is your tag number? (I answered, and also had to give the registration state)
Do you own guns?- YES,
Do you carry guns?- YES, in states where I am licensed.
Are you licensed in NY [like that's going to happen for an out of state resident!]? - NO
Are you absolutely positive you have no firearms in the vehicle - Yes, they are all at home in a safe.
He said go ahead.

If you are hunting, there is a way to get approval paperwork - probably starting months ahead of your trip. Probably easier to obtain one thru a hunting guide once there. I wouldn't recommend you try to carry there for protection, and don't lie!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #7

Quote:
"They" can search any way or any where 'They" want. Do your diligence and research all the rules and requirements before entering Canada with a firearm.
Don't trust anything you hear from anyone other than an Official. The consequences far outweigh the benefits. You will be caught.
Lynn
Old 11-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
And if you use the gun you lied about you are in deep doo doo.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here’s a link we have here that may be helpful.

Firearms and RV-ing

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 11-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Just don't try to transport handguns into Canada. It's not worth it.

Those agents are well trained to detect all types of things including lying. I'm glad they are good. They have access to a wide array of databases that are checked when they scan your passport. We crossed between the US and Canada six times this summer. Each time going and coming the agent always asked about guns. I considered all of them to be very professional and polite. The only issues we had was some confusion about fresh produce and county of origin. We just left any thing we had in the sink for quick easy check. We always stated clearly what we had and on our last entry back into the US we lost 2 potatoes and a squash from Mexico.

Your appearance and behavior tells the agent a great deal as does the condition of your rig. Remember that about 2% of all crossings are randomly selected for a secondary inspection. They can spend any amount of time they want searching and may leave the place a mess if they want to. Don't give them any reason to do a secondary search.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:41 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bring Long Guns into Canada

Declare firearms in writing to a customs officer at the point of entry to Canada, using the Non-Resident Firearm Declaration (form RCMP 5589).

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #12

I bring some tools and a cnc machine and fabricate my own once across the border.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:10 PM   #13

ok, ok i get it. leave the shotgun in storage. conversely, if you have in your rv a professional tool kit with meters and such, good luck convincing CBP that your not coming up to work. i got ordered to windsor for a job, and my tools where in the rental, got found and made to leave.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #14

Quote:

It's not only guns , there is a list of prohibited items including tasers, brass knuckles , drugs,cash over 10k dollars, etc. They will normally ask a couple of questions, then maybe take a quick look inside and normally let you go. If they are not satisfied, you park off to the side and they do a search of everything and everyone. If they find any prohibited item , you will have your vehicle impounded and charged .

Tags
ada, canada