Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #1

Canada Border Crossing-Frozen Food?

I understand the rules concerning guns, liquor and fresh vegetables. But I don't understand what I can or cannot have in our refrigerator or freezer. I usually pack meat to smoke on our trips in the freezer I also usually have frozen fish, vegetables, ice cream, etc. What about milk, eggs, bacon, etc. that are in the refrigerator. Will I have to throw all of these items out and then rebuy them after getting back in the US?

We will be crossing Canada about midway of a 42 night trip. I don't want to throw stuff away if possible.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

We used this web page for info and got along fine.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdInArk View Post
We used this web page for info and got along fine.
Thanks, what are the odds they will want to check the freezer? To open ours fully the slide will need to be out. Per the link we would not be able to exceed the maximums if we wanted to.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

When I flew with the Air Force and had to deal with Customs & Ag upon returning to the States, the rule was simple. No meats, produce or dairy products, frozen or not! I had a unopened bag of jerky that I had taken with me when I left the States on a trip, even upon return I had to trash it. I inquired the man about it as I've done that many times before without a problem, the man got all pissy about it so I dropped the issue figuring he was hungry and wanted my bag of jerky. I never messed around with them or their rules as they can make your life miserable. Don't even try to hide a apple under that pillow on the nicely made bed either, if you catch my drift? Hope this helps? Good Luck
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Thanks, what are the odds they will want to check the freezer? To open ours fully the slide will need to be out. Per the link we would not be able to exceed the maximums if we wanted to.
Darned if I know

I've been over and back twice in the last two years -- once on a motorcycle and once in an RV. I just answered their questions and got sent on my way.

In the RV we just made sure we didn't exceed the limitations where they applied, but it sure hurt my feelings not to be able to come back with more Glen Breton single malt.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We cross the border both ways quite often. We never had a problem with frozen food. The only stuff we had problems with were fresh veggies and fruit. Some are allowed and some not. At times chicken and eggs may not be allowed but when they were not we boiled the eggs and cooked thee chicken and had no problem.
Things do change from time to time!
Old 06-14-2019, 11:49 PM   #7

It's good to know the rules so you know what to expect. I would not throw any food out until you get to the border, you can always throw it out there if they insist you can't take it across the border.

I have crossed the border many times with food not allowed, most times they either did not ask or just told me to go on. It all depends on the mood of the BC officer in the booth. When you enter the booth, put all you windows down, shut off the engine, and have your Pass Ports in your hand. That will set the stage for hassle free crossing.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last August when we crossed from Alaska into Canada there were no questions about food. When crossing from Canada into Montana we were asked specific food related questions. When we said we had a package of store-bought cherry tomatoes in the original package they flagged us for a more thorough inspection that took just a few minutes by three agents who found no other issues. We were released - minus the tomatoes.

The agents were business-like, but polite and courteous. I was talking to the agent who seemed to be in charge of the team, I mentioned that it was always my assumption that food/plant-related restrictions were due to trying to prevent disease and invasive plant or food products from entering the U.S. She said that in the case of fresh fruit and vegetables they occasionally find some that have been injected with drugs or other nasty stuff in an effort to smuggle it across the border. She also said fresh fruits and veggies can be acceptable if they are sliced and in clear baggies.

On our next Alaska to the Lower-48 trip we plan to carry no fresh fruit and vegetables at all.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 03:55 PM   #9

We cross between Canada and the US annually when heading to Florida and have found the "only" meat item fresh or frozen they ask about is Lamb.
This includes any food items containing lamb as well.
They have asked if our homemade lasagna contained lamb.
We've carried frozen Beef, Pork, Poultry and Fish from home when travelling to Florida.
Eggs were a problem crossing from North Dakota back into Canada at one time.
I was once held at gun point, outside the RV in January at Detroit when they found an orange in my fridge!
I guess the US Guards didn't stop think where the Florida orange was grown and just assumed an orange from Canada in January was a national threat.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

We just crossed from Niagara Falls and drove across to Port Huron. We showed our passports and rabies certificate for the cat to the Canadian agent. He asked if we had any fire arms and when we said no, he told us to have a nice trip. No questions at all about food any of the times we have crossed. Coming into Port Huron, US Customs was easy. Last year, coming across the Rainbow Bridge we had an obnoxious agent who asked a lot of food questions. I told him we had many of the things he asked about, but that none of them were purchased in Canada. They did not pull us aside for any inspections.
In years past, we have never had any problems going into Canada but coming back into the US is often somewhat of a hassel.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 PM   #11

Bottom line.... don't toss out your food. Regulations change all the time. If they have a problem they'll toss it for you. Perhaps you'll get lucky. I really think frozen food is no problem. Keep everything in original packaging, if possible.

Check the official site right before you leave for more up-to-date policies.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, canada